Mature hairline or balding?

dhill80

Reaction score
I might just be paranoid, but my hairline has receded to the corners a little bit. In the first picture I had my hair cut very short the day before- almost buzzed. The second picture is the length my hair normally is. I'm 29 years old. My dad has male pattern baldness, but my maternal grandfather and uncles have full heads of hair. So I'm not sure if my hairline is maturing or I'm beginning to bald. Any opinions are appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• hair2.jpg
    hair2.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 1,660
  • tyl.jpg
    tyl.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 3,674

dhill80

Reaction score
Correction: the first picture is my normal length; the second picture is a day after the haircut.

global

Experienced Member
Reaction score
No doubt about it you are receding, that is beyond a mature hairline.

dhill80

Reaction score
Well, I have some good news. I had to see my dermatologist about some moles and asked him about my hairline. He showed me this chart of something called the Norwood Scale. He said I'm a 2. He also examined my hair and said I have a mature hairline and am not balding at this time. He also told me that lots of men in their 20's come in and think they're balding because the temples recede. But the receding is normal. My recession is basically in line with my sideburns.. which is where it's supposed to be. I looked through this site and see a lot of other men with the same hairline as me think they're balding, too- so I'm not the only one who freaked out! However, he said I could go bald in the future because it's unpredictable. The thing with the second picture I posted is that my hair is pretty much buzzed, so it looks worse than it is. If any of you other guys are worried about your hair, go see a dermatologist!

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
dhill80 said:
Well, I have some good news. I had to see my dermatologist about some moles and asked him about my hairline. He showed me this chart of something called the Norwood Scale. He said I'm a 2. He also examined my hair and said I have a mature hairline and am not balding at this time. He also told me that lots of men in their 20's come in and think they're balding because the temples recede. But the receding is normal. My recession is basically in line with my sideburns.. which is where it's supposed to be. I looked through this site and see a lot of other men with the same hairline as me think they're balding, too- so I'm not the only one who freaked out! However, he said I could go bald in the future because it's unpredictable. The thing with the second picture I posted is that my hair is pretty much buzzed, so it looks worse than it is. If any of you other guys are worried about your hair, go see a dermatologist!

I've never thought about that--temples recede to where your sideburns are.

A lot of people here do have balding though.

As for your buzzed hair, yeah, pictures\flash\gel always makes really short hair look thin when you aren't losing any.

dhill80

Reaction score
Oh, there's definitely some men on here who have very severe balding at very young ages. I feel terrible for those guys, and here I am freaking out about minor temple recession at almost 30 years old. But it's cool to see all the guys on these forums who offer their support, advice, empathy and encouragement to others.

Boondock

Reaction score
The big take-home for someone in your situation is that there's no need to worry yet.

Your derm may well be correct about the mature hairline, although there's no way to say for sure. The best you can do is live your life as normal. Probably, you'll be fine. But if you see a deeper recession deepening, there are treatments out there - particularly effective someone over 30.

I'm 23 and even I feel bad for some of the teens with NW4+ loss on the forums.

timbo

Established Member
Reaction score
dhill80 said:
I had to see my dermatologist about some moles and asked him about my hairline. He showed me this chart of something called the Norwood Scale.

Really!?!? Never heard of it...

dhill80 said:
He said I'm a 2. He also examined my hair and said I have a mature hairline and am not balding at this time. He also told me that lots of men in their 20's come in and think they're balding because the temples recede. But the receding is normal.
Receding is normal, because most men develop male pattern baldness at some point in their life. Your hairline is well past the point of a mature hairline IMO. The pictures you posted aren't great, but I think it's still pretty easy to tell. It is a little harsh to say that you're "balding," but you definitely have some small degree of male pattern baldness.

dhill80 said:
My recession is basically in line with my sideburns.. which is where it's supposed to be.
Huh? where did you get that? There is no definite rule that states how far a hairline can recede until it's considered balding because everybody is different. The best assessment I've seen was invented by Dr. Rassman over at http://www.baldingblog.com/2007/01/12/m ... th-photos/

dhill80 said:
I looked through this site and see a lot of other men with the same hairline as me think they're balding, too- so I'm not the only one who freaked out! However, he said I could go bald in the future because it's unpredictable. The thing with the second picture I posted is that my hair is pretty much buzzed, so it looks worse than it is. If any of you other guys are worried about your hair, go see a dermatologist!
Unfortunately, there are a lot of physicians out there who are pretty inept when it comes to hair loss. The best way to evaluate hair loss is to map the scalp for miniaturization of hair follicles. If your doctor assessed your hair loss solely based on your hairline, I believe he was off base.

Nene

Reaction score
My advice is to put some minoxidil on those temples, it does look to me like it's headed for beyond a mature hairline but I wouldn't jump on finasteride just yet. It is a very small degree of hair loss for your age and I'm sure rogaine alone will help you for years to come. Then if you need more help you can bring out the big guns.

dhill80

Reaction score
Nope. I've never heard of the Norwood Scale because I never paid much attention to my hairline. You're right, some doctors may be inept, but I still trust a trained medical professional's opinion over random peoples' on a forum any day.

At any rate, I looked at pictures of myself from a few years ago, and my hairline hasn't really changed- it basically looks the same. Am I saying I'm never going to go bald? No. I very well could. And if I do, then I do. Not a big deal. The ones I feel sorry for are teenagers and guys in their early 20's who have very severe hairloss.

Either way, I looked up mature adult hairline and the picture came up. And, to me, it looks exactly like mine. My dermatolgist told me that the Norwood Scale 3 is when male pattern baldness typically starts.

Attachments

• hair_transplant_hair_line.gif
    hair_transplant_hair_line.gif
    25.2 KB · Views: 962