Mature Hairline And Finasteride? What Do You Think?

Skayskud

My Regimen
Reaction score
I’m a NW2 mature hairline at age 24– no signs of my hair thinning or my baldness progressing any further. My family history is a little up in the air— my father had his hair begin to thin in his 40s, and he just started developing a bald spot on his crown a couple years ago— he is 54. On my mother’s side, my mother’s two brothers are both bearers of the mature hairline but with full density in their mid 60s. My grandfather on my mother’s side began to bald in his 70s, and still has a fairly full head of hair now in his 80s. My grandfather on my father’s side died in his 40s, but to my knowledge had a full head of hair.

I’m in an industry that demands a fairly full head of hair. If I begin to show outward signs of balding, my career options will be very limited. My question is this: Now that my hairline has matured, do you think getting on finasteride will help me maintain the hair I have now for longer, or recover any I’ve lost?

Thanks in advance.

GreekGod

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I’m a NW2 mature hairline at age 24– no signs of my hair thinning or my baldness progressing any further. My family history is a little up in the air— my father had his hair begin to thin in his 40s, and he just started developing a bald spot on his crown a couple years ago— he is 54. On my mother’s side, my mother’s two brothers are both bearers of the mature hairline but with full density in their mid 60s. My grandfather on my mother’s side began to bald in his 70s, and still has a fairly full head of hair now in his 80s. My grandfather on my father’s side died in his 40s, but to my knowledge had a full head of hair.

I’m in an industry that demands a fairly full head of hair. If I begin to show outward signs of balding, my career options will be very limited. My question is this: Now that my hairline has matured, do you think getting on finasteride will help me maintain the hair I have now for longer, or recover any I’ve lost?

Thanks in advance.
I would keep checking on your hair frequently and look for signs of thinning, but not start finasteride. Your family history sounds positive and finasteride may give you sides. The risk of sides is worth it for someone who's balding but not for you. Also you're already mid-twenties so you know your hair loss wont be aggressive.

Retinoid

My Regimen
Reaction score
To answer your question, Finasteride will surely act as a prophylaxis to future balding. I agree with GreekGod however.