Matthew McConaughey's hair in Interstellar.... hmmmm

BeardedOne

Established Member
Reaction score
I know I know I know, it's been done before with this guy. But it's the first time I've heard other people in the flesh talking about it.

My girlfriend and I watched this movie the other day (enjoyed it - NO SPOILERS PLEASE). She commented at one point that his hair 'looked really ****, or fake or something". And then later she commented that it seems he has different hair in every scene. It's true - one minute it appears really thin all over and you can see a spot in the crown, and the next minute you see him from the back and it's completely full. Then you see him again and his hair is absolutely perfect. I couldn't get my head around it. Full hairline, thin hairline. Receded, NW1.

So, is his hair a combo of transplant and make-up? Or is he using a partial wig? Because whatever it is he is doing, when it's good it looks fantastic. I would love to know how to do that!

BeardedOne

Established Member
Reaction score
Well I know he thinned out majorly for his role in Dallas Buyers' Club, and that was only recently. Plus he was very ripped and with a full head of hair AFTER that infamous mugshot in 1999 so I don't think propecia is his only story. Do you believe propecia can thin you out or reduce your muscle mass? Is there any evidence of this?

Bad

Established Member
Reaction score
Lighting. He's had three transplants. I'm sure there is some topic to cover up some spots that have thinned. I personally think he also takes propecia. I remember this guy being quite ripped. Looks like he thinned out a bit. Not due to propecia.

- - - Updated - - -

I wonder what he would have looked like bald..

Where did you read that he has had 3 transplants...?

He would look great https://www.google.pt/search?q=matt...ly-bald-movie-stars-number-6-27590%2F;360;480

base10

Reaction score
Yeah just watched the movie last night. Great movie BTW.

Definetly past NW2. In some of the close shots you could see some pretty severe miniaturization. His hair seemed consistent throughout the movie, I never really noticed any differences except for some of the scenes where his hair was wet.

RobertF

Reaction score
Yeah just watched the movie last night. Great movie BTW.

Definetly past NW2. In some of the close shots you could see some pretty severe miniaturization. His hair seemed consistent throughout the movie, I never really noticed any differences except for some of the scenes where his hair was wet.

http://cdn04.cdn.justjared.com/wp-c...cconaughey-blue-robes-for-interstellar-07.jpg

Is this really over NW2? Whatever he's using here, it looks good and I'm pretty sure it doesn't register as hair loss to like, 90% of the public.

BeardedOne

Established Member
Reaction score
Forgive me Follicle Island for raising a topic on a 'men's general hair loss' discussion board! ;)

Idle speculation like this can be interesting and also help ourselves to chart our own paths towards combatting male pattern baldness.

Notcoolanymore

Reaction score
I'm not sure what Matthew McConaughey is doing, but what ever it is he looks great. He is not letting his male pattern baldness ruin his life or his carreer.

RobertF

Reaction score
I'm sure he has quite a bit of concealing, make up or downright hair systems (like in True Detective) going on, but who cares.

ladysmanfelpz

Established Member
Reaction score
Watch Killer Joe, a B grade movie with Emile Hirsch and Thomas Church. You get a great look at his hair. I think he definitely takes propecia. He's receded and thinned out to the point where it looks mature, and almost gentlemanly, but not where an average eye would notice, much less accuse him of balding.

- - - Updated - - -

I was gonna start a new thread, but I guess I'll just ask it here since we are on celebrities. Does anyone know why Bruce Willis did NOT take propecia?

He seemed very concerned with his hair as I've heard that he donated to hairloss research. Finasteride was clearly available by the time he started losing his hair. Why did he not just try it and maintain his looks? I know use of medication is each persons decision, but since this was the only treatment available that proved effective, why wouldn't he at least try it?

Notcoolanymore

Reaction score
Does anyone know why Bruce Willis did NOT take propecia?

I heard he tried it about 20 years ago, but after taking his first pill he got gyno and extreme brain fog so he had to quit. He is now still dealing with the effects of PFS.

massa

Banned
Reaction score
Maybe he did but it didn't work Propecia isn't 100% guatenteed going to save your hair

J_94

Reaction score
He might not have trusted it at the early stages. Some people don't trust it now, so imagine what it was like 10 years ago. By the way some of the comments on here are brilliant

SayifDoit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
He looks like a NW1 to me. Maybe 1.25, definitely no worse than that honestly.
Though I can definitely see how people think he is a NW2 at times I guess...

jksl

Established Member
Reaction score
Matt Damon's hair looked even worse when it was wet. I bet he was glad when he got that scene over with.