Massive shed from minoxidil withdrawal

Balth06

Reaction score
Hi, I've been lurking here for the past few months as my hair situation has been deteriorating at an alarming rate.
I have a question about hair fallout from minoxidil withdrawal. I started minoxidil and Propecia in August 2005 when my hair loss was in the very early stages and only noticeable to me. I didn't think minoxidil was doing anything and it was pre-foam so it was a huge hassle. I stopped using it in August of 2006 but continued with the propecia as I thought (stupidly) that propecia would preserve any hair minoxidil had helped. Shortly after that my hair started to thin in the crown slowly over about 3 months and I thought it was just a normal shed and then in the 4th month I basically had a telogen effluvium and lost massive amounts of hair that has left me well below baseline. Mind you this is only in the back where I had been applying the minoxidil, the front stayed pretty much exactly the same. I'm now using minoxidil again to try to regrow what I've lost. Is that even possible? Or is that hair gone forever now? Won't the minoxidil dependent hair grow back now that its getting its 2x daily fix again? Yeah... so this is pretty much ruining my life as I've gone from no noticable balding in the crown to looking like a hand grenade went off back there in only 4 months. I'm so angry at myself because I always heard that once you start rogaine you can never stop but I just didn't think all muh damn hair would fall out. :? I realize there’s no guarantee with this stuff and no one can really say what will happen, but has anyone experienced anything like this and has regained what they lost from stopping minoxidil after starting to use it again? Thanks allot, this forum has been a huge help to me. Oh, and I'm only 25...Damn :-x
I'm so stoooooopid!

hellohello

Established Member
Reaction score
That's the devil's pact with minoxidil. I would say if you lost the hair due to minoxidil's dependence, then with some time they will grow back. If it's aggressive male pattern baldness and the folliciles have since died, probably not.

Everyone responds different, so you really can't know what to expect.

JohnnySeville

Established Member
Reaction score
No way to tell unless you go back on it again. Give it at least 6 months before making an evaluation. Being on the finasteride will sure help minimize the damage. This time around go on the foam, its better and may make the difference.

T

Timi

Rogaine

Balth06

I am 5Month on Rogaine Foam

the same shits

The Front thinned totally out! in a short Time
Back of the head thinned out
the Hair ill over the whole head

Stopped ore Continue ???????
ore is Minoxidil bad for me??

1,25mg finasteride Daily
0,25 dutasteride. all two Days

Timi

Balth06

Reaction score
Yea I'm actually on Avodart now because I freaked out so much I thought propecia wasn't working for me anymore. But I'm almost positive now that my loss was caused from stopping the minoxidil. Anyway, I've been on the foam for a month and a half and I love it. I'm staying on the Avodart and using nizoral and crossing my fingers and toes. No side effects from the avodart either.

Timi- I doubt the rogaine is bad for your hair unless you're getting bad side effects from it. If you've been using it for 5 months its quite possible your hair is somewhat or completely dependent on it now. I wouldn't stop it unless you wanna go through what I did...total nightmare.

Its funny I used to have nightmares that my hair was gonna be like this and then I'd wake up and it was all good and I'd be so relieved. I'm not waking up this time though. Sucks big goat balls.

T

Timi

Rogaine

Balth06

I have Rogaine in the Year 2003 11Month laid on
my Hair was 11 Month bad-ill and thin!

I stopped Rogaine the next Month my Hairs better and better
and more closely

I have give the New Foam 11/ 2006 a New Chance and I repent it

Sorry for my bad English

Timi

roki

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Timiiiii
TI TI TIMIIIII
TIMIII

T

Timi

Foam

Ore makes this continuously shedding dutasteride? ( 12Month)
and not Rogaine Foam?
and the Front thinner and thinner?

Timi

Bertie

Reaction score
The various graphs showing hair count or weight following cessation of minoxidil treatment show a temporary "overshoot" beyond the long term baseline; thus even without resuming minoxidil, you might have gotten a little of that back. Now that you are back on Rogaine, you should get back most of what was lost, as Rogaine is not known to have much long-term preventative impact -- it just provides a growth offset to your long term trend line (a trend line which ought to be pretty flat now with Avodart treatment).

dietcola

Experienced Member
Reaction score
TIMMMAAYYYYY!!!!!!!

roki

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Re: Regaine

Timi said:
roki

What is ?
Timi
Timi?

tim ,ti ,timaaaai?

TIMAAAAAAY!!!
:lol:

T

Timi

Rogaine

dietcola

My English ist bad

Works Foam today Good for you? you joung Boy ore?

I am 43j old

Rogaine Shedding was very heavy!! the right and the left corner
with Foam balding and more largely
Upper head thinned out
No New Hairs

continue ?????

Timi

dietcola

Experienced Member
Reaction score
timi your english is really bad

anyways, how long have you used rogaine foam for?

you should keep using it for at least 6 months, it can take time to work.

timmy.jpg

TIMMMMAAAYYYYYY!

roki

Experienced Member
Reaction score
:lol:
timay?

Balth06

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Bertie,
lookie here at this graph I found. Look what happens around week 108...thats frightening. I'm assuming thats without finasteride or dutasteride though. Hurray for Minoxidil?

art-bjd470297.fig1a.jpg