Massive hair loss in last 6 months...50 years old

Sam07

Reaction score
I'm 50 years old and within the last 6 months I've lost all the good hair on top and my hair is thinning all over.

I had enough good hair on top that I really didn't notice substantial thinning even a year ago.

I've been on propecia for the last 2 months but it doesn't seem to be working and the hair loss continues. At this rate I will be substantially bald by the end of the year.

I could try to go with thinning hair but at this rate there's not going to be anything left to "style" and I would like to wait and see if the propecia will do anything.

So I am considering a hair piece but this is happening so quickly I'm not sure what to do.

Any suggestions?

- - - Updated - - -

Hmmm, I just noticed that there are very few replies to any of these threads.

WR1981

Reaction score
Sam, thanks for replying to my thread. While i can only speculate, it seems that sudden massive shedding at 50 might warrant a doctor's visit. It could be thyroid. This happened to my grandmother - her sclap hair, eyebrows and eyelashes almost all fell out in the span of 9 months. She went to the doctor and she had basically ZERO thyroid function. Started Synthroid and it slowly grew back. I also thinking it could take a bit of prodding as there is a tendency to dismiss all male hair loss as Androgenetic Alopecia/male pattern baldness. For males to suddenly start rapidly thinning at 50 seems very atypical.

scorpiolove

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Sam 07, hair loss is progressive, and I am close to your age,so I have an idea how you must feel about your hair loss. Sorry you have to go through such a thing, at any age it's almost unbearable.
Don't let this disease snatch you like it almost did me,
get a hairpiece before anybody notices your hair loss, you'll save yourself a lot of ridicule and stress,getting used to a hairpiece is very psychological,if your going to get a hairpiece in the future I suggest you do it soon before every body close to you notices, by the way I am a norwood six and thats why I am telling you this info.
Thanks! ScorpioLove