Manufacturer Change On Finasteride Again... Should I Be Worried?

Rakoczi

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I get my pills from costco for cheap, its less than $20 for 1 mg finasteride with 90 doses.

I am now on my third or fourth bottle, and they have changed the manufacturer:

All previous bottles were from ACTAVIS
Bottle 6/21/17: AUROBINDO PHARM (sic) ((some India based manufacturer... they even misspelt their name.. it is actually Aurobindo)

Do you think this might cause havoc on me? I am afraid to take this new pill. Especially from India...

ManinBlack

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am also concerned about this. Everyone assures me that generic is just as good as name brand and that all you are doing by buying name brand is giving extra money to Merck, but I guess I am just OCD about the whole thing. The problem is that the Propecia name brand costs over 100 dollars for a month's supply at every pharmacy I've called and that is just too much for me, my family lives paycheck to paycheck and I only have a part time summer job (I'm still in college) so I would pretty much have to spend my whole paycheck to get name brand. I recently changed to Sam's Club. Rite-Aid was charging me 80 dollars for a month's supply of the generic! My bottle is also from the Aurobindo Indian pharmacy. I'll admit that I would rather use the Merck if I could afford it. I would never order my pills from some shady online source but surely to God that generic meds sold in FDA approved brick and mortar pharmacies are legit, safe, and not some sugar pill, right? I mean supposedly generic drugs have to be shown to have about the same amount of active ingredients but i don't know if inactive ingredients can effect absorption. I would be more comfortable if these generics were made in America and not in some factory in India that might not have as good oversight. Like I said, I might switch to Merck when I get a high enough income where I can spend over 100 dollars for a month's supply of Propecia.

Rakoczi

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am also concerned about this. Everyone assures me that generic is just as good as name brand and that all you are doing by buying name brand is giving extra money to Merck, but I guess I am just OCD about the whole thing. The problem is that the Propecia name brand costs over 100 dollars for a month's supply at every pharmacy I've called and that is just too much for me, my family lives paycheck to paycheck and I only have a part time summer job (I'm still in college) so I would pretty much have to spend my whole paycheck to get name brand. I recently changed to Sam's Club. Rite-Aid was charging me 80 dollars for a month's supply of the generic! My bottle is also from the Aurobindo Indian pharmacy. I'll admit that I would rather use the Merck if I could afford it. I would never order my pills from some shady online source but surely to God that generic meds sold in FDA approved brick and mortar pharmacies are legit, safe, and not some sugar pill, right? I mean supposedly generic drugs have to be shown to have about the same amount of active ingredients but i don't know if inactive ingredients can effect absorption. I would be more comfortable if these generics were made in America and not in some factory in India that might not have as good oversight. Like I said, I might switch to Merck when I get a high enough income where I can spend over 100 dollars for a month's supply of Propecia.

how much do you pay now that youare at sams club??

thanks for your post, we have same concerns!

also, apparently Actavis works in India too a lot when making pills....? thats what I read somewhere. So great... lol.

edit:

Ok I took the pill. Cause what choice do I have? Here is to us not taking suger pills!

Last edited:

hollow11

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
20 bucks holy sh*t it costs 60+ in eu

Last edited:

ManinBlack

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
how much do you pay now that youare at sams club??

thanks for your post, we have same concerns!

also, apparently Actavis works in India too a lot when making pills....? thats what I read somewhere. So great... lol.

About 20 dollars. I mean it is not that I am stingey with money but every place I have asked quotes Merck Propecia as being 120-145 and that's just too much for me right now.

abcdefg

Reaction score
Its like someone being afraid of the dark even when you know there is nothing hiding there. There is no logical reason you need name brand, but if you like paying a lot more for the idea of name brand than go for it.

Rakoczi

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Ok it has been one week. I have some bad news

Today I started feeling pain on my head again. I have not felt this since taking Finasteride. It feels like a little needle poking my head. After taking finasteride for about 9 months, and using nizoral, this pain went away.

But it has now been a week on this new manufacterer, and the pain is back. It's really annoying feeling. It is occuring near the very top center of my head, where I have some noticable thinning.

I am getting pretty angry about this. If this stupid new manufacter is crap, and ruins everything for me, IDK what I will do

fml

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok it has been one week. I have some bad news

Today I started feeling pain on my head again. I have not felt this since taking Finasteride. It feels like a little needle poking my head. After taking finasteride for about 9 months, and using nizoral, this pain went away.

But it has now been a week on this new manufacterer, and the pain is back. It's really annoying feeling. It is occuring near the very top center of my head, where I have some noticable thinning.

I am getting pretty angry about this. If this stupid new manufacter is crap, and ruins everything for me, IDK what I will do

Does it remind you of a pink elephant?

ozm8ey

Established Member
Reaction score
uhmm when i get my medication for mental issues they said there is no difference in brand name they're all exactly the same just some are bigger/smaller or in different forms

Rakoczi

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
well here is my update

i am shedding my minitruized hairs like crazy, and still continuing to get worse and worse diffuse

I am still getting worse recession and hair loss than my twin brother who is not on finasteride.

Rakoczi

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
uhmm when i get my medication for mental issues they said there is no difference in brand name they're all exactly the same just some are bigger/smaller or in different forms

all I have read is that the differences might be between about 15% dose and the way the pill dissolves. These new pills dissolve very very fast. if my hand is wet they start dissolving quickly. old pills did not dissolve like that. don't know if that matters anyway.

either way the pill is not helping