male pattern baldness or Diffuse thinning? (pics)

biger_beter

Reaction score
Alrite so all of this thinning happend within only 2 months time more or less. At first it was VERY slight. Not visible at all. Recently for the past 3 weeks i have been shedding like CRAZY. My hairline has not receeded, and the hair on my crown is not thinner. Its just gotten thinner all over my hair.

Where do I go from here?

Thanks in advance everybody

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 18,196
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 6,486
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    110.5 KB · Views: 8,577
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 6,559

Artas

Established Member
Reaction score
Diffuse thinning, I'm not sure what the best thing is treat this type of hair loss. I'd probably say Minoxidil but that'll be hard work. Get on some Nizoral.

heynow1234

Established Member
Reaction score
get on propecia asap and you'll be fine

biger_beter

Reaction score
Natwraggie said:
Diffuse thinning, I'm not sure what the best thing is treat this type of hair loss. I'd probably say Minoxidil but that'll be hard work. Get on some Nizoral.

Question. My hair was COMPLETELY normal 3 months back. Is it possible that such rappid diffuse thinning is due to male pattern baldness? Or its probably not?
I'm going to see a derm next week, but would he be able to identify the actual cause of the hairfall?
I really hope this is not male pattern baldness :(

Boondock

Reaction score
It is possible that this is not caused by genetics and hormones, and is rather caused by stress, diet, or other environmental factors. If this is the case, then it's not male pattern baldness, and you'll be able to recover fine. The fact that you don't have the "pattern" going on counts in your favour here.

A derm will be able to give you a fairly good answer to your question on this.

karl_h

Established Member
Reaction score
After looking at your pictures, I would say that you are experiencing diffuse thinning on your scalp.

The fact that your hair was completely normal three months ago suggests to me that your diffuse thinning might be a result of stress.

I have read that individuals who are going through a very stressful period in their life can experience diffuse thinning on their scalp, and when their stress levels return to normal, the hair that they have lost does grow back in.

If this is the situation that you are in, I wouldn't worry because you are going to regrow the hair that you have lost.

biger_beter

Reaction score
Boondock said:
It is possible that this is not caused by genetics and hormones, and is rather caused by stress, diet, or other environmental factors. If this is the case, then it's not male pattern baldness, and you'll be able to recover fine. The fact that you don't have the "pattern" going on counts in your favour here.

A derm will be able to give you a fairly good answer to your question on this.

Thanks for the reply man. I'm going to see a derm next week hopefuly. Im scared that the derm diagnosis me with something wrong. For example he diagnosis me with male pattern baldness, when the hair shedding / diffuse thinning i'm having is caused by stress, and he puts me on finasteride. Could that do me more harm than good??
Also. What happens if my diffuse hair thinning / shedding is caused by hormones??
Again, thanks alot bro

biger_beter

Reaction score
karl_h said:
After looking at your pictures, I would say that you are experiencing diffuse thinning on your scalp.

The fact that your hair was completely normal three months ago suggests to me that your diffuse thinning might be a result of stress.

I have read that individuals who are going through a very stressful period in their life can experience diffuse thinning on their scalp, and when their stress levels return to normal, the hair that they have lost does grow back in.

If this is the situation that you are in, I wouldn't worry because you are going to regrow the hair that you have lost.

Thanks man. Makes me feel alot better that my hair thinning / shedding could be caused by stress, and not male pattern baldness. I do admit that i had alot of stress in the past few months. But how do I know for sure that it is not male pattern baldness what i'm going through?
Is there anything I can do to help my hair?

Boondock

Reaction score
The only answer is that you do not know for sure that it's not male pattern baldness you're going through, since some people do lose in a diffuse pattern due to hormones. It's a bit of a grey area, but the derm should be able to advise you on it.

let-it-grow

Established Member
Reaction score
In your second picture your crown looks just a lot like mine, but in your third picture I can see that your thinning also on the back of your head, under your crown which doesn't look much like male pattern baldness.

In your fourth picture it looks like you are diffusing but I recommend you get a blood test and check for Iron, Ferritin, Folic Acid and B12 and take those blood tests to your dermatologist.

You might have a big shortage in vitamins in your blood that caused your hair to thin or maybe you're just losing your hair. Do the men in your family go bald early? Were you under extreme pressure or stress lately? Did you just have a big surgery? Sometimes those things causes Telogen Effuvium.

treeshrew

Experienced Member
Reaction score
isn't diffuse thinning and male pattern baldness the same thing?

no one else thinks this looks like classic male pattern baldness pattern thinning?

it looks totally diffuse in the front/top and thicker on the back/sides.

looks like pretty obvious male pattern baldness to me.

i'm not sure I buy the "only in the past 3 months" scenario. this loss is pretty diffuse, so it probably would have been very difficult to notice in the early stages. maybe you only started noticing it 3 months ago, but that doesn't mean it hadn't started earlier.

biger_beter

Reaction score
treeshrew said:
isn't diffuse thinning and male pattern baldness the same thing?

no one else thinks this looks like classic male pattern baldness pattern thinning?

it looks totally diffuse in the front/top and thicker on the back/sides.

looks like pretty obvious male pattern baldness to me.

i'm not sure I buy the "only in the past 3 months" scenario. this loss is pretty diffuse, so it probably would have been very difficult to notice in the early stages. maybe you only started noticing it 3 months ago, but that doesn't mean it hadn't started earlier.

I am going to see the derm soon. But with blood tests, could he tell me for sure if what i'm going through IS male pattern baldness? Thing is man, i dont want to diagnose my diffuse thinning as male pattern baldness if it isnt, and get on finasteride, which would only make things worse as i've read, and at the same time I dont want to diagnose it as Telogen Effluvium and be too late on treating it if it WERE in fact male pattern baldness.
Thats my hair 3 months ago. I didnt notice any shedding
Even if you were right, and i were unaware, i'm 100 % sure that 6 months back, my hair was thicker than ever. Could it have become this thin in 6 months time with male pattern baldness? Im hoping not, but anything is possible

Attachments

• 3 months back.jpg
    3 months back.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 2,062

immortaltime

Reaction score
Any updates? I'm on more or less the same situation u are on. I did have really dense hair 6 months and suddenly severe shedding started like tons on shower, tons on towel during hair drying (even if done gently), tons on pillow etc. Shedding is so diffuse that in some parts which were really really dense, I have thin hair, and places that were not as dense, scalp shows up.

Don't want to spam your topic, I'll start my own if needed. Please keep us updated on ur progress. I'm also on the lookout for a trusted dermatologist.

Hair3000

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm going through the same. But my scalp has a lot of dandruff as well. From what I understand I don't think that causes hairfall. But mine shed as fast as yours did too. And now it's has kind of stopped... But none of the shed hair has grown back.

James Carwell

My Regimen
Reaction score
Did you move homes when this started? Have you had any kind of fungal infections lately ie Tinea, Ringworm etc?