Male Pattern Baldness Or A Maturing Hairline?

Curioushair97

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys

I'm 22 and have become aware of some (?) hairline recession, particularly at the temples. I also feel that my hair has become less dense; however, I am not 100% sure as I experience very little shedding.
As a a gauge I have attached images of my hairline.
It is also worth noting that my father and paternal grandfather are somewhere around 2/3 (probably 3) on the Norwood Scale, with my maternal grandfather being a type 2.
Sorry if I'm overthinking, but I would appreciate some input to put my mind at ease.
Thanks

Attachments

• 20190630_222303.jpg
    20190630_222303.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 440
  • 20190630_222040.jpg
    20190630_222040.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 457
  • 20190630_221958.jpg
    20190630_221958.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 439
  • 20190630_221824.jpg
    20190630_221824.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 420
  • 20190630_221753.jpg
    20190630_221753.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 405
  • 20190630_221813.jpg
    20190630_221813.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 421
  • 20190629_121416.jpg
    20190629_121416.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 407
  • 20190630_223227.jpg
    20190630_223227.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 440

TominWashington

My Regimen
Reaction score
It appears that you have some recession taking place from your temples around to the front. From my experience I definitely noticed thinning on top, but I thought that was just the new normal. Finasteride (on month 8 now) has given me a great deal of thickness back already as well as expanding my temples and the front of my hairline as well.

John_zor

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
22y/o. Normal hairline, can't really tell if there is any recession. I thought I've receded a lot in last few years and then finally found good quality photos to compare it, it looks like nothing has changed in years so.. You are just afraid but there isn't any reason what so ever to be, relax.

Curioushair97

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for getting back to me. Did you notice any hair fall when your hair was thinning? I really feel like my density has changed without shedding. Worried that it might be a case of very gradual hair loss, but again I'm aware I could be overthinking

Curioushair97

My Regimen
Reaction score
It appears that you have some recession taking place from your temples around to the front. From my experience I definitely noticed thinning on top, but I thought that was just the new normal. Finasteride (on month 8 now) has given me a great deal of thickness back already as well as expanding my temples and the front of my hairline as well.
Thanks for getting back to me. Did you notice any hair fall when your hair was thinning? I really feel like my density has changed without shedding. Worried that it might be a case of very gradual hair loss, but again I'm aware I could be overthinking

John_zor

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It will form, you will lose those stubborn baby hairs, you'll develop more mature hairline, just like your jaw will change, bones and head shape. Hair will follow, it's a normal ageing and you can't fight it. But if you notice suddenly big changes, you start shedding, thinning, then try with some medications. For now, just treat your body right, eat healthy, sleep enough and avoid overthinking.

Curioushair97

My Regimen
Reaction score
It will form, you will lose those stubborn baby hairs, you'll develop more mature hairline, just like your jaw will change, bones and head shape. Hair will follow, it's a normal ageing and you can't fight it. But if you notice suddenly big changes, you start shedding, thinning, then try with some medications. For now, just treat your body right, eat healthy, sleep enough and avoid overthinking.
Thanks for the advice, man.

Curioushair97

My Regimen
Reaction score
If I do notice further recession/thinning would it be worth using a dermastamp or roller combined with an essential oil mix?

Curioushair97

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thought I'd upload a few more photos for opinions.
I'm worried that there's thinning/density loss at the front of the hairline and temples. I've also noticed single hairs sprouting up and I'm wondering if they're dying or simply just new growth. Not sure if these are normal or typical signs of stronger hair loss to come.
As I've mentioned before my maternal grandfather is around NW2 with thinning at the crown, whilst my father and paternal grandfather are probably NW3s with deeper temple recession.
So are the chances of balding slim or do I show some early indicators?
Thanks.

Attachments

• 20190717_202452.jpg
    20190717_202452.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 255
  • 20190717_202640.jpg
    20190717_202640.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 244
  • 20190717_202537.jpg
    20190717_202537.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 248

Northface32

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I would say your thinning. People who say your hairline is fine don't know what a non male pattern baldness hairline looks like anymore they just see a semi descent hairline and say 100% fine. Your first pics show recession and thinning your second look worse. Jump on finasteride if you want to be proactive and possibly thicken back up a little or just let it progress at it's natural speed. Goodluck

Curioushair97

My Regimen
Reaction score
I would say your thinning. People who say your hairline is fine don't know what a non male pattern baldness hairline looks like anymore they just see a semi descent hairline and say 100% fine. Your first pics show recession and thinning your second look worse. Jump on finasteride if you want to be proactive and possibly thicken back up a little or just let it progress at it's natural speed. Goodluck
Thanks for the reply, man.
So is it possible to thin despite not noticing much hair loss? I hardly have any in the shower or pillow.
I'll do a bit of research on finasteride thanks.

Hairicane

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Your hair is just like mine was at 22.

I'm 44, a month from my 45th birthday. I'm a Norwood 3 vertex. Very receded above the temples with a thin patch the size of my palm on my crown. I'm still not "bald" in most people's eyes but I know that times ticking and I will be bald at some point, maybe my fifties.

I think you're fine for now and for the foreseeable future. You have some slight recession above the temples. You'll probably recede slowly like I did.

I wouldn't recommend finasteride til your 30s.

Curioushair97

My Regimen
Reaction score
Your hair is just like mine was at 22.

I'm 44, a month from my 45th birthday. I'm a Norwood 3 vertex. Very receded above the temples with a thin patch the size of my palm on my crown. I'm still not "bald" in most people's eyes but I know that times ticking and I will be bald at some point, maybe my fifties.

I think you're fine for now and for the foreseeable future. You have some slight recession above the temples. You'll probably recede slowly like I did.

I wouldn't recommend finasteride til your 30s.
Thanks for the response. Yeah I figured it was a case of slow recession so here's hoping. My dad is 52 with a pretty good nw3 so maybe I'll end up like that.
Yeah I think you're right, finasteride just seems a bit much at this stage considering the potential side effects. I'm thinking of starting microneedling alongside an essential oil and head massages for now.

Hairicane

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. Yeah I figured it was a case of slow recession so here's hoping. My dad is 52 with a pretty good nw3 so maybe I'll end up like that.
Yeah I think you're right, finasteride just seems a bit much at this stage considering the potential side effects. I'm thinking of starting microneedling alongside an essential oil and head massages for now.

If you see further recession or thinning before you turn 30, then attack the problem with finasteride before it gets really bad.

I'd keep those pics so you have something to compare.

Curioushair97

My Regimen
Reaction score
If you see further recession or thinning before you turn 30, then attack the problem with finasteride before it gets really bad.

I'd keep those pics so you have something to compare.
Advice taken thanks.

Yeah I'm keeping those pics along with others I've taken since April. It seems I havent lost too much ground since then.

Tbh I'd be happy with a further receded hair line, just as long as I didn't go bald all over.