Making topical finasteride

lordhair

Established Member
Reaction score
I know that there is limited evidence that it works, but I'm going to give it a go

What I would like to know is what would be the best carrier to use? Maybe a cream?

And what ratio of pills should I use

Thanks

Leezer

Reaction score
Finasteride dissolves in alcohol, which also preserves it from damage (alcohol is a well known preserver). For that reason, adding finasteride pills to minoxidil is a good idea, at least with regards of keeping finasteride "in good shape". Furthermore, adding it to minoxidil will enable you to hit "two rabits with one shot", since you have to apply minoxidil anyway.

I do that and so far cannot say/prove any effects of it, but it doesn't bother me.

About the mixture - nobody knows which exactly is the proper one. In fact - heck, nobody knows which is the proper dose of finasteride taken internally :dunno: anyway. That is why you have to decide yourself. I have added 3 mg finasteride in a 65ml minoxidil bottle (Dr. Lee's) and I apply 2 ml minoxidil daily. That makes it around 0.1mg finasteride topically daily.

Good luck.

$tackz

Established Member
Reaction score
BlahBlah12 said:
why not just use Xandrox15 Plus? its .1finasteride with 15% minoxidil....
a few reasons.. he may not want to use minoxidil, he may definitely not want to use 15% minoxidil... he may not want to spend 100$ on it when he can make it for cheaper. :agree:

to Leezer, how much Finasteride do you suppose I should add to 2oz Spironolactone 5%? There is 30mL in 1oz but we dont exactly administer spironolactone by the mL so it's hard to say exactly how much finasteride you would ultimately put on your scalp.

Leezer

Reaction score
$tackz said:
to Leezer, how much Finasteride do you suppose I should add to 2oz Spironolactone 5%? There is 30mL in 1oz but we dont exactly administer spironolactone by the mL so it's hard to say exactly how much finasteride you would ultimately put on your scalp.

You mean Dr. Lee's spironolactone Cream? How do you plan on dissolving a pill into it? o_O

$tackz

Established Member
Reaction score
Leezer said:
$tackz said:

You mean Dr. Lee's spironolactone Cream? How do you plan on dissolving a pill into it? o_O
I just crush the pill into powder, distribute it evenly throughout the cream, shake it up a bit and let it sit.

It dissolves eventually I'm sure

Leezer

Reaction score
$tackz said:
Leezer said:
[quote="$tackz":1luk36ow]

I just crush the pill into powder, distribute it evenly throughout the cream, shake it up a bit and let it sit.

It dissolves eventually I'm sure[/quote:1luk36ow]

Hmm, probably yes. Another idea is to dissolve finasteride into alcohol first, and then add the substance to the cream..

Anyway, if you apply the cream on the temples only, then we can say you apply about 0.5ml of it daily. That means, if we suppose you want to take 0.1mg finasteride topically daily, you have to add 12mg Finasteride into a 2oz spironolactone package. This will yield 20mg finasteride on every 100ml spironolactone, or 0.1mg finasteride on your 0.5ml daily spironolactone application. If you apply the cream all over your head, then we can suppose you apply about 1.5ml daily. That means you have to add 4mg Finasteride to your 2oz spironolactone to achieve 0.1mg finasteride topically daily.

oyo

Established Member
Reaction score
I drop 2 5mg finasteride pills (proscar, they are cheaper and have less filler and i don't really want to dissolve lots of filler) into my minoxidil bottle. They dissolve within a day or so.