Making topical castor oil more effective

Sweuser

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm sure a lot of you guys are familiar with Swisstemples theories about hair loss and its treatments.

About castor oil is indeed interesting, he's suggesting both oral and topical application. There might be some problems or shortage of effect from topical use though.

The theory is that ricinoleic acid activates one of PGE2 receptors, and castor oil are ~90% triglyceride built from ricinoleic acid.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22615395

This paper suggests prostaglandin activation from castor oil is first when ricinoleic acid has been cut off by lipases in the intestines.

Do we need to use it in that form when topically applicated?
Pure ricinoleic acid seem to be a problem to get. There are though simple saponification reactions to split triglycerides in to fatty acids.

What do you guys think: is this something to look more into?

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
Hi Sweuser,
If you have not done so already, check the alternative section out. FYI
I'm using it both orally + topically (3 wks. now) without any expectations.

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
I also jumped on the castor oil bandwagon, first orally and as of a few days ago topically as well.

ryan82

Established Member
Reaction score
is every castrol oil good for consumption? I know that Jamaican castrol oil isn't good for oral.

Captain Hook

Established Member
Reaction score
is every castrol oil good for consumption? I know that Jamaican castrol oil isn't good for oral.

As long as it's food (indicated on the label) or pharmaceutical grade (indicated by the respective label from USP, BP or another country's pharmacopeia certification). It should appear clear and pale yellow.

Answering the OP's question. Mix it with DMSO if you want to increase absorption (this is what SwissTemples' does himself, he doesn't use the free fatty acid form of ricinoleic acid, he simply uses castor oil). If that isn't an option for you then just apply drop-wise (as per SwissTemples' recommendation) to the area you wish to treat as it should almost completely absorb.

I see no reason to seek out pure ricinoleic acid as the 90% content in castor oil should be high enough. Also there are no studies indicating that a free fatty acid form is any better than it's triglyceride form in castor oil, as the latter is the compound featured in most clinical studies regarding ricinoleic acid use in man. No need to try and reinvent the wheel with this one.

Small correction, contrary to SwissTemples' research, it actually activates both EP3 and EP4 prostanoid receptors. So that's 2 out of the 4 prostanoid receptors that PGE2 activates, not just EP4.

Quoted verbatim from the journal article below "Whereas ricinoleic acid was about one order-of-magnitude less potent than PGE2, the efficacy of ricinoleic acid to activate EP3 and EP4 receptors was comparable with that of PGE2"

Considering how cheap castor oil is and how expensive PGE2 powder is, that's not a bad deal.

(http://www.pnas.org/content/109/23/9179.full.pdf)

deniak

Reaction score
Nice finding Captain Hook and yep, castor oil definitely works. After few weeks (1ml oral + topical from time to time) I noticed boost in hypertrychosis between temples and eyebrows, small hairs (probably from minoxidil) becomes bigger and darker very rapidly. Unfortunately at this moment still nothing positive to report on my bald patch near hairline.

Castor oil topical is messy, even after rubing it your skin is shiny and sticky for hours... Swiss advise DMSO as vehicle, but Im looking for something more safe. Anyone have some idea for other vehicle, maybe something working like cream, something which absorb fast?

Sweuser

Reaction score
Thank you for answer,

However, castor oil does not contain ricinoleic acid, it's 90% esterified ricinoleic acid. That does not mean castor oil activates PGE2 rec, only its metabolites by passing intestines.

Panreatic lipase seem to be present in skin and hair folicle, what substrates it uses is unclear and If it's enough to cleave castor oil to an effective extent.

Or have you seen any papers where castor oil showing effect of PE2 rec activation?

JimShoe

Reaction score
I just got the Tropic Isle Living Jamaican Black Castor Oil 4oz on Ebay. I know that this is not the pharmaceutical grade but I hope that I will still be effective. It's got lots of good reviews on Amazon.

I also picked up the African Gold organics castor oil in a drug store. This I s a light coloured gel and says that it's pure. I want to stay away from the oral castor oil.

robot_hair

Reaction score
I mix the Castor Oil with coconut oil, which makes it much thinner and easier to apply. This combination also feels very soothing, and reduces male pattern baldness itch. Sometimes I add ethanol to increase absorption.

Giiizmo

Established Member
Reaction score
I just got the Tropic Isle Living Jamaican Black Castor Oil 4oz on Ebay. I know that this is not the pharmaceutical grade but I hope that I will still be effective. It's got lots of good reviews on Amazon.

I also picked up the African Gold organics castor oil in a drug store. This I s a light coloured gel and says that it's pure. I want to stay away from the oral castor oil.

You want to use plain castor oil, not the jamaican black castor oil. They're two different things.

Mach

Established Member
Reaction score
I mix the Castor Oil with coconut oil, which makes it much thinner and easier to apply. This combination also feels very soothing, and reduces male pattern baldness itch. Sometimes I add ethanol to increase absorption.

Doesn't coconut oil reduce PGD2?

pistolpete

Reaction score
Anyone experience shedding with castor oil?

Been on it for a week (oral daily/topical few times) and having a major shed.

Bagels

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone experience shedding with castor oil?

Been on it for a week (oral daily/topical few times) and having a major shed.

Same here. I am not sure if this shed was going to happen anyway or not. Ive been losing the same number of hairs but the hairline is way thinner all of a sudden. I've added Topical and oral castor oil, Rosemary oil, and use rubbing alcohol as a mixing.

Bagels

Established Member
Reaction score
u need ethyl alchohol. wow- seriously? u have been rubbing that shiit on your scalp all this while? any sudden shedding or itch?

Its hard to tell the difference. Itched and shed before anyways.

How do you know which substances are safe? Many of these alcohols have similar formulas.

outbulk

Reaction score
Its hard to tell the difference. Itched and shed before anyways.

How do you know which substances are safe? Many of these alcohols have similar formulas.

The internet knows. Ethyl alcohol (=ethanol) is drinking alcohol, which means its probably safe for application on skin as well.

Ethanol is also used frequently in other topicals.

Does anyone of you know a good ratio to mix castor oil and ethanol with?

robot_hair

Reaction score

http://www.hazeldenbettyford.org/articles/why-is-drinking-rubbing-alcohol-bad

Rubbing alcohol is not ethyl alcohol (beverage alcohol), but isopropyl alcohol, a totally different chemical than the alcohol of beer, wine, or liquor. The lethal dose of isopropyl alcohol by mouth in adult humans is about 8 ounces. Another kind of poison is wood alcohol. This is methyl alcohol and it breaks down in the liver to formaldehyde. Those who survive after drinking it often suffer permanent blindness. As little as 2 ounces of wood alcohol can be fatal.

Captain Hook

Established Member
Reaction score
Actually as little as 30 mL (around 1 oz) of methanol or 'wood alcohol' can be fatal. 10 mL (around 0.34 oz) can cause permanent destruction of the optic nerve and therefore blindness. Similar formulas have nothing to do with the safety profile as even small changes in molecular structure can result in markedly different effects.