Making The Switch To Duta Soon And Would Appreciate Opinions

abovedagame

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The frontal hair loss thing has been around since the drug released, but it has never been observed in clinical trials. The increased testosterone concept is just ridiculous. DP cells in the frontal scalp are not "more sensitive to Testosterone" over DHT because that's not how DHT functions. Testosterone, along with many other male sex hormones, can cause hair loss, but its negligible compared to DHT. You should be more concerned about the long term effects of androgen deprivation than if dustasteride is going to make your hair loss worse. I've been on dutasteride for a few years its the closest thing to a "functional cure' that we have if you are satisfied with the current state of your hair.

How much better do u think dutasteride at .5mg a day is vs finasteride at 5mg a day. I added in dutasteride .5mg several months ago and I believe I'm experiencing sides so I'm contemplating going back on finasteride.

itsjustsimon

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Testosterone, along with many other male sex hormones, can cause hair loss, but its negligible compared to DHT

Where did you get this fact? The only thing we know about this ( at least to my knowledge ) is DHT is more potent than testosterone, that's all. Some people say it's 10x more, some say it's only 3 times, but to my knowledge nobody really knows.

The other thing is, testosterone is increased in the scalp if we compare Dutasteride to Finasteride much more. I'm not sure what to think about some people's scalp being more sensitive to testosterone but clearly, for me it was a death sentence to my hairline. And my hair is not growing back.

dm900

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Where did you get this fact? The only thing we know about this ( at least to my knowledge ) is DHT is more potent than testosterone, that's all. Some people say it's 10x more, some say it's only 3 times, but to my knowledge nobody really knows.

The other thing is, testosterone is increased in the scalp if we compare Dutasteride to Finasteride much more. I'm not sure what to think about some people's scalp being more sensitive to testosterone but clearly, for me it was a death sentence to my hairline. And my hair is not growing back.

We absolutely know that DHT has a far greater affinity for the AR compared to testosterone. The proof is in the fact DHT primarily functions in an autocrine fashion. Scalp testosterone is a useless metric because all that matters is the concentration inside the dermal papilla. This is why type 1 5Alpha dht isn't really a factor in hairloss.

dm900

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
How much better do u think dutasteride at .5mg a day is vs finasteride at 5mg a day. I added in dutasteride .5mg several months ago and I believe I'm experiencing sides so I'm contemplating going back on finasteride.
Finasteride has a peak reduction curve. There really isn't a benefit to taking more than 1mg. If you are experiencing sides then talk to your doctor. Personally I feel that dutasteride is far better than finasteride because of its long half life and greater affinity for the type 2 5Alpha reductase. That being said i couldn't recommend anyone to take it as I am not a physician and there are uncertainties with the drug. My hair is extremely important to me so I personally feel the risk I take is worth it.

dm900

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

One, if they were so inclined, could even argue that the increased scalp testosterone is proof of dutasterides effectiveness. That increase in testosterone isn't entering the DP's cytoplasm but instead staying in surrounding tissue. There is no proof for this concept but hell everyone here seems to just ignore science and clinical analysis in favor of personal testimony anyway. I'm not going to continue arguing this because the notion that dutasteride/finasteride cause hair loss is ludicrous. The science is out there, if you take time to learn it you will come to the same conclusion.

MasterYolo

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys, thinking about slowly introducing .5 dutasteride into my regimen. I've been on finasteride for 6 years and over the last 6 months have notice a significant increase in hairloss. Hair was the best between 2-4 1/2 yr mark. I was only using min once daily now have tried to increase that to twice daily. Thoughts?

Susanoo

My Regimen
Reaction score
Get some blood tests done, figure out if the finasteride has even done it's job and lowered your dht to sufficient levels. Find out where your testosterone stands. Then plan from there instead of blindly just taking dutasteride.

MasterYolo

My Regimen
Reaction score
6 months ago my testosterone was low 600's dht was is the low 30's and has been for awhile. I usually have 2-3 blood test a year.

Susanoo

My Regimen
Reaction score
Interesting, your dht is really low. I'd like to say no harm in trying, but that's not the case since it has made it worse for some people. But regardless, if your losing ground on finasteride something has to be tried. I would give dutasteride a go, or maybe RU.

MasterYolo

My Regimen
Reaction score
Wow I was wrong. Just looked up my last blood test that was taken in Sept and dht was 16!! Normal range was 17-65 I think. Testosterone was 614

Georgie

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well I’m a woman so it’s a little different for me I guess. I’ve been taking avodart since last November. Increased my shedding and overall I’m looking worse than ever. The top of my head and my crown sadly now have bald spots and my whole hairline is still receding. Also I got a blood test before and after starting. Test levels went up which isn’t surprising, but so did my serum DHT levels. Apparently I’m just fucked.

MasterYolo

My Regimen
Reaction score
Sorry to here. Your regimen is quite impressive. Would you care to share estimated cost? Also, I've been doing some research with the connection to Androgenetic Alopecia and folliculitis and sebum. I'm on accutane 10mg 4 times a week to control oil. I took a 4 1/2 month break and that's when I started shedding badly. Coincidence? Idk

Alex Contee

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I really believe the dutasteride hairline fear is overblown. I was on it for 4 years and only saw benefit after an initial shed. The only reason I got off is that I just couldn't shake the brain fog and it was impacting may job. It is clearly better than finasteride at blocking DHT. I had less scalp itch, my acne went away, and less body hair. The sides are definitely worse though and there are few long term studies. Who knows what it is doing to your liver long term. People taking it for hair loss are really rolling the dice.

Here is why the dutasteride hairline fear is overblown:
  1. People often get fake dutasteride from shady places. This is still an issue but was extremely common when dutasteride first entered the hair loss scene. I got mine from a doctor.
  2. People panic switch to dutasteride when they are losing a ton of hair on finasteride. When you switch to dutasteride, you are going to shed. Extremely miniaturized hairs might not make it back from that. dutasteride is speeding up the process a little but IMO the hairs people lose were going to be gone within 6-12 months at best anyway. Additionally, sometimes people's loss is just to aggressive for dutasteride to stop. Thus, dutasteride will get the blame even though the loses were the result of finasteride not doing an adequate job for some period of time.
  3. People don't wait out the shed and give up within 6 months or less. They never stick it out long enough to see the benefit. This is especially true IMO for people who are worried their dutasteride might be fake.
  4. This is a theory but I believe dutasteride causes telegian effium in a lot of people. The hormone drop is just too severe. Often this goes away after a few months. Other times it becomes chronic and people lose density all over. I think people mistake this with balding sometimes.

Pephair

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I really believe the dutasteride hairline fear is overblown. I was on it for 4 years and only saw benefit after an initial shed. The only reason I got off is that I just couldn't shake the brain fog and it was impacting may job. It is clearly better than finasteride at blocking DHT. I had less scalp itch, my acne went away, and less body hair. The sides are definitely worse though and there are few long term studies. Who knows what it is doing to your liver long term. People taking it for hair loss are really rolling the dice.

Here is why the dutasteride hairline fear is overblown:
  1. People often get fake dutasteride from shady places. This is still an issue but was extremely common when dutasteride first entered the hair loss scene. I got mine from a doctor.
  2. People panic switch to dutasteride when they are losing a ton of hair on finasteride. When you switch to dutasteride, you are going to shed. Extremely miniaturized hairs might not make it back from that. dutasteride is speeding up the process a little but IMO the hairs people lose were going to be gone within 6-12 months at best anyway. Additionally, sometimes people's loss is just to aggressive for dutasteride to stop. Thus, dutasteride will get the blame even though the loses were the result of finasteride not doing an adequate job for some period of time.
  3. People don't wait out the shed and give up within 6 months or less. They never stick it out long enough to see the benefit. This is especially true IMO for people who are worried their dutasteride might be fake.
  4. This is a theory but I believe dutasteride causes telegian effium in a lot of people. The hormone drop is just too severe. Often this goes away after a few months. Other times it becomes chronic and people lose density all over. I think people mistake this with balding sometimes.

Also had brain fog. But the worst part was the frontal shedding..

1. I had a prescription of dutasteride from Costco (not shady).
2. Didn't really have a shed at all. Just slowly started losing the front over time, and it only got worse as I upped my dosage.
3. I gave it over 8 months. Continually got worse as I increased my dosages.
4. I dunno

WTS3

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Sorry to here. Your regimen is quite impressive. Would you care to share estimated cost? Also, I've been doing some research with the connection to Androgenetic Alopecia and folliculitis and sebum. I'm on accutane 10mg 4 times a week to control oil. I took a 4 1/2 month break and that's when I started shedding badly. Coincidence? Idk

It's likely the Accutane is causing the hair loss. It's a well known side effect too. My friend was on it in high school and started receding freshman year of college. When we graduated he was a NW4 at 22. His dad is a NW2, his mom has a full head of hair, and hair loss is not aggressive in his family.

Reaction score
I used dutasteride for 9 months starting November of 2016. Four things happened within the first 3 months that concerned me: 1. Though I lift a lot of weights and my chest is very muscular I started to develop soft tissue around my nipples. 2. My sex drive was through the roof despite my serum DHT level equaling that of a 5-year-old. This was concerning as I always experienced regrowth on treatments when I had 0 sex drive. 3. I lost even more density on my scalp the initial month and despite patiently waiting 9 months nothing grew back... I just lived life looking like I experienced a massive shock loss. 4. I could not put a sentence together if my life depended on it. dutasteride hit my brain harder than benzodiazepine and I always felt like I was just "floating" in a room but not really in my body.

I switched back to finasteride mid-2017 (which was working fine but I thought dutasteride would kick things into overdrive) and stabilized. RU58841 helped add a lot of density in combination with finasteride.

Georgie

My Regimen
Reaction score
I used dutasteride for 9 months starting November of 2016. Four things happened within the first 3 months that concerned me: 1. Though I lift a lot of weights and my chest is very muscular I started to develop soft tissue around my nipples. 2. My sex drive was through the roof despite my serum DHT level equaling that of a 5-year-old. This was concerning as I always experienced regrowth on treatments when I had 0 sex drive. 3. I lost even more density on my scalp the initial month and despite patiently waiting 9 months nothing grew back... I just lived life looking like I experienced a massive shock loss. 4. I could not put a sentence together if my life depended on it. dutasteride hit my brain harder than benzodiazepine and I always felt like I was just "floating" in a room but not really in my body.

I switched back to finasteride mid-2017 (which was working fine but I thought dutasteride would kick things into overdrive) and stabilized. RU58841 helped add a lot of density in combination with finasteride.
Interesting