Making Regrowth Shampoo....

Redbone

Reaction score
I love the regrowth anti DHT shampoo but the price Vs. quantity is killing my wallet. I think I can mix 2% nizoral with Neutrogena TSAL and get the same formula. The Nizoral costs $14 by perscription and the T/Sal is $6.95 for 6oz. I could get 20oz of homemade stuff for $20 and 4oz of Lee's stuff for $13.

Has anybody tried this and will it work?? Tips and methods on mixing would be very helpful.

avri

Established Member
Reaction score
KoBlack said:
I love the regrowth anti DHT shampoo but the price Vs. quantity is killing my wallet. I think I can mix 2% nizoral with Neutrogena TSAL and get the same formula.
If you mix 2% Ketoconazole with 3% Sal Acid, at say 50-50, you get a new liquid with 1% Ketoconazole and 1.5% Sal Acid. Not the same formula, but a new formula where the active ingredients have been diluted by 50%. Also you may have an unexpected interaction between the inactive ingredients of the two shampoos.

avri

G

avri said:
Also you may have an unexpected interaction between the inactive ingredients of the two shampoos

I think you should warn Dr Lee Immediately ! :freaked:

Petchsky

Reaction score
Hey Tynan, is that you in that avatar? LOL...

Matgallis

Experienced Member
Reaction score
we can only wish :shock:

bombscience

Reaction score
I buy

Generical TSAL.
Real Nizoral.

I use the TSAL before the Nizoral in order to remove the dead layer of skin cells and hopefully increase the absorption of the Nizoral when i shampoo with that second.

TSAL for 30 seconds.
Nizoral for 3-5 minutes.

G

bombscience said:
I use the TSAL before the Nizoral in order to remove the dead layer of skin cells and hopefully increase the absorption of the Nizoral when i shampoo with that second.

I have been using the same procedure for a while now but I leave 'em on for a little longer, more like

• T/Sal (know as T/Gel with Salicyclic acid here in the UK) 2-3 minutes*

*(quote from nutrogenas website :Massage into wet scalp, leave on several minutes, rinse thoroughly and repeat)

• Nizoral 8-10 minutes

Also form Nutrogenas website on the subject:

Ketoconazole has rapidly become the treatment of choice for scalp conditions such as Dandruff and Seborrheic Dermatitis , among many Dermatologists and other medical professionals. However, while patients with Hyperkeratotic scalp conditions are often encouraged to wash their hair daily, Ketaconzole is indicated for use only twice a week.

T/Sal Maximum Strength Shampoo contains 3% Salicylic Acid, primes the scalp for effective keratolitic therapy. As a first line treatment it reduces crusty scalp build – up with maximum Keratolitic Activity.
So it is an ideal pretreatment for Ketoconazole and Co - therapy (Alternative days) with Tar Shampoos

Ty

avri

Established Member
Reaction score
tynanW said:
avri said:
Also you may have an unexpected interaction between the inactive ingredients of the two shampoos

I think you should warn Dr Lee Immediately ! :freaked:
Dr Lee produces his own shampoo, and decides for himself what inactive ingredients to use, that won't interact with one another. He doesn't mix T/Sal with Nizoral, that's how he controls the concentrations of the active ingredients.

avri

Redbone

Reaction score
I used both and I liked Lee's stuff much better, its given me a good kick, though the price/quantity kinda blows.

jrg

Established Member
Reaction score
KoBlack, I don't understand. A 4oz Regrowth shampoo costs $14 while 2% nizoral costs $34 (for eg at walgreens).