Making own spironolactone topical (how to, tips, experience)

ryan82

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have bought aldactone spironolacton caps. Now i want to make a topical. What is the best carrier to use?
Is minoxidil the best to use? Someone with experience with this? What is the best method to do this?

Norwood One

Experienced Member
Reaction score
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Digidako

For sure.
I usually order 25g of pure spironolactone powder at a time.
To make a 5% solution I do the following:
PHASE A:
3g Spironolactone dissolved in small amount of ethanol + DMI
- If the spironolactone doesn't dissolve right away, I usually fill up a saucepan with water and place the pyrex beaker (containing the mixture) in the centre, and stir until it is dissolved entirely.
PHASE B:
Take the aqueous solution and mix with 2 fluid ounces of base cream (http://www.amazon.com/Premium-Cream-...ds=base+cream; or my favourite-->http://www.skinactives.com/Sea-Kelp-Ultramarine.html)

This is just for a simple spironolactone cream.

Keep in mind you could add anything to the phase 1 solution, (I.e., Minoxidil, etc)

Im thinking about adding some 17a-estradiol to my next batch as it acts as a local 5AR inhibitor.
In theory, a topical AA (spironolactone) will occupy the AR; while the 17-ae inhibits 5ar. This would mean absolutely no DHT would be able to attack the hair follicle.

Goldee Lox

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
quote_icon.png

For sure.
PHASE A:
- If the spironolactone doesn't dissolve right away, I usually fill up a saucepan with water and place the pyrex beaker (containing the mixture) in the centre, and stir until it is dissolved entirely.
PHASE B:
Take the aqueous solution and mix with 2 fluid ounces of base cream (http://www.amazon.com/Premium-Cream-...ds=base+cream; or my favourite-->http://www.skinactives.com/Sea-Kelp-Ultramarine.html)

Keep in mind you could add anything to the phase 1 solution, (I.e., Minoxidil, etc)

Im thinking about adding some 17a-estradiol to my next batch as it acts as a local 5AR inhibitor.
In theory, a topical AA (spironolactone) will occupy the AR; while the 17-ae inhibits 5ar. This would mean absolutely no DHT would be able to attack the hair follicle.

Awesome.. Is spironolactone easy to come by?

Digidako

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Props to Norwood one for quoting my post, i'd give you more rep but I can't until I start giving to someone else haha.
Follow that post and you should be golden.

spironolactone is fairly easy to come by, I usually order 25g for around $100 USD. I started out by using the actual Aldactone tablets, but switched to raw powder just to avoid the fillers and such associated with the actual tablets.

25 grams usually gives me enough to make around eight batches, which can last me up to a whole year, which is significantly cheaper than buying the s5 cream- for me anyway.

I recently started making batches with 1% 17a-estradiol, and my scalp itch is completely gone.
I've also exhausted my supply of finasteride, so I was a little nervous that my itch would return but it hasn't yet.
I have 2 grams of finasteride on the way, which is enough for 2000 days so I should be good in that department but I'm seriously considering adding RU

abovedagame

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Props to Norwood one for quoting my post, i'd give you more rep but I can't until I start giving to someone else haha.
Follow that post and you should be golden.

spironolactone is fairly easy to come by, I usually order 25g for around $100 USD. I started out by using the actual Aldactone tablets, but switched to raw powder just to avoid the fillers and such associated with the actual tablets.

25 grams usually gives me enough to make around eight batches, which can last me up to a whole year, which is significantly cheaper than buying the s5 cream- for me anyway.

I recently started making batches with 1% 17a-estradiol, and my scalp itch is completely gone.
I've also exhausted my supply of finasteride, so I was a little nervous that my itch would return but it hasn't yet.
I have 2 grams of finasteride on the way, which is enough for 2000 days so I should be good in that department but I'm seriously considering adding RU

Where do you get raw spironolactone powder?

Digidako

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have access to a chemical distributor through my university.
I ordered 2 grams of finasteride from them too, everything comes with HPLC and NMR data.

I could just as easily run it through a mass spec if I ever had doubts about the purity.

ryan82

Established Member
Reaction score
quote_icon.png

For sure.
PHASE A:
PHASE B:

Hi thanks for the answer to my question!
I have spironolactone pills. Must i crush it to powder?

minoxiDjunkie

Established Member
Reaction score
a few questions to Digidako

* how did you realized that spironolactone is soluble in DMI ?
and how much is it soluble in it ? (for example in pure ethanol its 22mg/L meaning only 2% will dissolve)
*we are talking about dimethyl isosorbide here, right ?

* what are the exact quantities of ethanol and DMI that you use ?

* which type of ethanol do you use ?

* how do you know how much (spironolactone) precentages is your final product (the cream), AND - how do you know how much of it to apply to your scalp ?

* and last one - does it smells while in the cream ?
and if not - does it smells while only in ethanol/DMI ?

thanks in advance !

minoxiDjunkie

Established Member
Reaction score
so i did some research (again) and found this info (regarding spironolactone's solubility properties):

"Soluble in water (0.022 mg/ml at 25° C), ethanol (50 mM), methanol, DMSO (100 mM), and chloroform (50 mg/ml)."

now, ive seen somewhere else that spironolactone's solubility in ethanol is about 2.5% (or ~25mg/ml), that is in pure 96.6% ethanol (which is the purest ethanol solution i belive).
so if by that info - solubility in ethanol is 50mM (which honestly i dont know what that means), and also 2.5%, than - in DMSO which is 100mM, it must be 5%
and that is with pure DMSO
sooooooo long story short,
its imposible to make a 5% topical spironolactone

now to another question -
if i am to make a 2% using alcohol
than i'd use 2-2.5 ml at a time, than i'd potentially get the same effect as using 5%, since im using practically the same dose.
am i not ?

minoxiDjunkie

Established Member
Reaction score
a few questions to Digidako

* how did you realized that spironolactone is soluble in DMI ?
and how much is it soluble in it ? (for example in pure ethanol its 22mg/L meaning only 2% will dissolve)
*we are talking about dimethyl isosorbide here, right ?

* what are the exact quantities of ethanol and DMI that you use ?

* which type of ethanol do you use ?

* how do you know how much (spironolactone) precentages is your final product (the cream), AND - how do you know how much of it to apply to your scalp ?

* and last one - does it smells while in the cream ?
and if not - does it smells while only in ethanol/DMI ?

thanks in advance !

bump

digidako where are you ?