Making My Own (research Backed) Topical- Lf Advice + Documentation

Quest

My Regimen
Reaction score
Firstly, I know this board's disposition on anything that is "natural" or BS as some would say.

And to you I say- there are studied methods besides finasteride and min that will create hair regrowth, they just aren't profitable, ie not heavily looked into.

Short Backstory- I have tried finasteride before. Bad Sides within days.

I tried lipogaine recently- Same gnarly finasteride sides I got within 2 weeks. First time in my life I went a day without a boner. I didn't even know saw palmetto could do that.

So I'm the 1 in 1000 that is incredibly sensitive to anti-androgens which is why, logically, I want to use a topical with mild anti-androgenic properties, my hairloss isn't very agressive and I'm out of options so here I am.

I want to create a topical with:

Pumpkin Seed Oil (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4017725/pdf/ECAM2014-549721.pdf)

Based on blinded investigator assessments, treatment with PSO was superior to treatment with placebo with respect to hair growth at 12 and 24 weeks ( < 0.001, all comparisons). In the control group, there was no initial improvement during the first 12 weeks, and then hair growth plateaued during the second 12 weeks (Figure 1). At 24 weeks, 2.7% (1/37) of subjects in the intervention group were assessed to have worsened by blinded investigator assessments; 51.4% (19/37) (a) (b) (c) were rated as unchanged relative to baseline and 44.1% (17/37) were rated as slightly or moderately improved (Figure 2). On the other hand, at 24 weeks, 28.2% (11/39) of subjects in the control group were assessed to have worsened based on the investigator; 64.1% (25/39) were rated as unchanged relative to baseline and 7.7% (3/39) were rated as slightly or moderately improved. These results showed significant intergroup differences​

Zinc (See Zix) Zinc Is Anti-Inflammatory and has DHT Inhibiting Properties
Vitamin B-6 (See Zix)

Black Cumin Seed (http://file.scirp.org/pdf/JCDSA_2013081513583870.pdf)

Considering that Telogen Effluvium is characterized by a high inflammatory component and that NS possess well-known anti-inflammatory properties, we decided to evaluate the effects of NS in the treatment of Telogen Effluvium. The aim of this double blind, placebo controlled, randomized study was to obtain a reduction of inflammatory compounds in order to re-establish hair cycle and to reduce the healing time in patients affected by acute Telogen Effluvium. Our data demonstrated NS efficacy by an improvement of hair density and hair thickness after 3 months of treatment (T3). In particular, 70% of patients showed an improvement, with increase in hair growth, while 30% of patients showed no change and none showed Telogen Effluvium worsening. In the placebo group, 50% of patients showed worsening of clinical condition, 20% showed no change and developed chronic Telogen Effluvium after 6 months and only 20% showed a partial improvement.​

I know I can create a vehicle with ethyl alc and some water or possibly propylene glycol.

Anyways, any advice would be awesome. Desmond originally turned me on to the Black Cumin Seed method and if he were to chime in that would be awesome, but I know he's more on BTT than this forum, he always knows his stuff, regardless and I've yet to see anyone tree BCS.

I know the Black Cumin and PSO would come in oil form and I'm curious if I can just lather that on my head? The anti-inflammatory properties would go a long way as my scalp is constantly inflammed. I would want to integrate LLLT or something similar to boost regrowth, but minoxidil is apparently not helpful when used with zinc, and this formula would use a lot of zinc.

I'll also be documenting my experiences here as this is a last ditch before I either accept, or wait for something new to come along.

Last edited:

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
I believe the following products are alleged to help:

Jojoba oil
Castor oil
coconut oil
shea butter
saw palmetto
stinging nettle
ginger
garlic
onion
cayenne pepper
black licorice
beta sisterol
biotin
vitamin C
fish oil
apple polyphenol
apple cider vinegar
lavender
coq-10
s-equol
l-carnitine
DGLA
tea tree oil
peppermint oil
honey
Aloe vera
caffeine
retinol

You can't try all of them obviously.

I'd add oregano oil as an anti-inflammatory / anti-fungal component (I might add it myself, to my shampoos and conditioners), and maybe some coconut oil too since i's alleged to solve all health problems.

Last edited:

Quest

My Regimen
Reaction score
I believe the following products are alleged to help:

Jojoba oil
Castor oil
coconut oil
shea butter
saw palmetto
stinging nettle
ginger
garlic
onion
cayenne pepper
black licorice
beta sisterol
biotin
vitamin C
fish oil
apple polyphenol
apple cider vinegar
lavender
coq-10
s-equol
l-carnitine
DGLA
tea tree oil
peppermint oil
honey
Aloe vera
caffeine
retinol

You can't try all of them obviously.

I'd add oregano oil as an anti-inflammatory / anti-fungal component (I might add it myself, to my shampoos and conditioners), and maybe some coconut oil too since i's alleged to solve all health problems.

thanks, I wonder how many of these simple, mostly side effect free (apparently not SP) are "cures" for people with less agressive hair loss.

if youre going bald quick, the big 3 is probably the only way, but for the average person who is balding over a period of decades (i'm only 23 and my loss is pretty substantial, but i'll have coverage for another 10 years probs) I bet some serious maintenance can be seen.

Swoop

My Regimen
Reaction score
If you are going for a product with Nigella Sativa oil aim for the highest % possible of thymoquinone. From what I have read once it's a HDAC inhibitor and also has biological activity towards TWIST. Both genes have been shown to be implicated in Androgenetic Alopecia.

MomoGee

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
There's a problem with mixing ingredients that have been studied individually and proven to help against hair loss, you don't know the overall effect caused by the mixture. As you have mentioned there is a study done which mixed zinc and minoxidil and it results are poor compared with minoxidil alone.

Good luck and if you do get success with the topical let us know, and please don't forget photographic evidence :D.

Quest

My Regimen
Reaction score
There's a problem with mixing ingredients that have been studied individually and proven to help against hair loss, you don't know the overall effect caused by the mixture. As you have mentioned there is a study done which mixed zinc and minoxidil and it results are poor compared with minoxidil alone.

Good luck and if you do get success with the topical let us know, and please don't forget photographic evidence :D.

true, i'll consider making seperate formulations after I speak with my pharmacist.

If you are going for a product with Nigella Sativa oil aim for the highest % possible of thymoquinone. From what I have read once it's a HDAC inhibitor and also has biological activity towards TWIST. Both genes have been shown to be implicated in Androgenetic Alopecia.

speaking with a compounding pharmacist now, thanks.