Making my own Nizoral Shampoo and Minoxidil/Ketoconazole Topical

CompoundingPharmD

Reaction score
I had a family member contact me and ask about Nizoral shampoo not being available. Being a compounding pharmacist, he knew I could make something for him. We got to talking and after some research, we decided to develop our own trial:beer:

I am compounding a ketoconazole 1% shampoo for him and a Minoxidil 5%/Ketoconazole .25% topical solution to use twice daily. Have never seen this combination used and finasteride/dutasteride is not an option for him(drug-drug interactions).

He has agreed to take pictures and post his results over the next 6 months. He has been a lurker here for years and I figured maybe some folks may benefit from our "research". Keep you posted!

kthxbi

Established Member
Reaction score
you don't think nizoral twice daily would absolutely fry his hair?

either way - interested to see how this works.

CompoundingPharmD

Reaction score
This is what he has decided on. The shampoo will be used 2-3x/week and the minoxidil/ketoconazole twice daily which is why he wants 0.25%. If it causes excessive dryness, I mentioned that we could go down to whatever % he would like (I recommended 0.1%)...we shall see.

resu

Reaction score
Use ciclopirox olamine instead or piroctone olamine for the minoxidil combo.

HairShocka

Reaction score
I use Nix daily. Is this a bad thing?

- - - Updated - - -

*nizoral

rwhairlosstalk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
CompRx, I was thinking of the same and wondered about a topical (because these have been more effective for me than the internal) anti androgenic item and minoxidil, but felt that spironolactone would be a better option because it's safer internally and therefore may be safer all around. I'm just wondering which is a stronger anti androgen, keto or spironolactone (at the same concentration).

Justlookin

My Regimen
Reaction score
I had a family member contact me and ask about Nizoral shampoo not being available. Being a compounding pharmacist, he knew I could make something for him. We got to talking and after some research, we decided to develop our own trial:beer:

I am compounding a ketoconazole 1% shampoo for him and a Minoxidil 5%/Ketoconazole .25% topical solution to use twice daily. Have never seen this combination used and finasteride/dutasteride is not an option for him(drug-drug interactions).

He has agreed to take pictures and post his results over the next 6 months. He has been a lurker here for years and I figured maybe some folks may benefit from our "research". Keep you posted!
Hey, I know it's a long shot, but how did you formulate the ketoconazole topical? And how were the results?

xaragedom

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Use ciclopirox olamine instead or piroctone olamine for the minoxidil combo.
Hey, Why you advise to use these compounds instead of ketoconazole with minoxidil?? Do you think ketoconazole can decrease minoxidil efficency? Just asking cause I was thinking about it latelly because I read that ketoconazole blocks PXR recepor which might be a receptor through which cells control sulfotransferase expression so that would decrease minoxidil sulfate in our scalp.

resu

Reaction score
Hey, Why you advise to use these compounds instead of ketoconazole with minoxidil?? Do you think ketoconazole can decrease minoxidil efficency? Just asking cause I was thinking about it latelly because I read that ketoconazole blocks PXR recepor which might be a receptor through which cells control sulfotransferase expression so that would decrease minoxidil sulfate in our scalp.
You're replying to a post made in 2013, I don't know, probably a study I read at the time. Stiprox 1.5% is a good shampoo and the active ingredient is ciclopirox.