making friends when you go bald

baldguy28

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had a harder time making new friends/acquaintances since you started going bald? It's almost as if you can go from being viewed as "cool" to "uncool/loser" overnight. I used to have a handful of people who used to call me and I don't know if it is a coincidence or what but since my hairloss started accelerating I've noticed that I'm the one initiating plans to go out etc almost 100% of the time and I also find people who I don't know at clubs, men and women, acting like they are to good for me when I try to strike up a conversation. I've gone basically from having 5 steady friends/acquaintances that I hung out with almost regularly to 1 in the past year alone. I'm also the same person with confidence etc so that can't be the problem.

Boru

Established Member
Reaction score
baldguy28 said:
Has anyone had a harder time making new friends/acquaintances since you started going bald? It's almost as if you can go from being viewed as "cool" to "uncool/loser" overnight. I used to have a handful of people who used to call me and I don't know if it is a coincidence or what but since my hairloss started accelerating I've noticed that I'm the one initiating plans to go out etc almost 100% of the time and I also find people who I don't know at clubs, men and women, acting like they are to good for me when I try to strike up a conversation. I've gone basically from having 5 steady friends/acquaintances that I hung out with almost regularly to 1 in the past year alone. I'm also the same person with confidence etc so that can't be the problem.

To be a "Beautiful Loser" (quoting Leonard Cohen), you must accept the shallowness of others, and plough your own course through the stars. Young shallow people fear their own dark side, and subconsciously they shun signs of ageing. You can take two routes, be philosophical about smaller minds and be a bigger person, or work hard to get hair back. I only chose the latter because of creative curiousity about what could be done with a Norwood 7. Growing hair on a shiny canvas is my artform. When I was young, going bald had a profound effect on my prospects as an innovative artist, because of the prejudice in those circles. Now being bald is almost a plus, it is a fashion swing. I am glad to buck this new trend as well. A cure is possible for some.
Boru

G

Here you can see who are the REAL friends.

Those who stay even when you change through the years, are the friends that stay forever.

Only hot babes with no brain and dumb guys will go away, wich is a good thing in my opinion.

Aplunk1

Reaction score
People are cruel. Their insecurities get the better of them...

When my dad starting going bald (in his 40's), he had a mid-life crisis, which in a roundabout way fucked my my entire family-- divorce, extravagent money spending (my college money), etc.

Everday it becomes seemingly more obvious of the true nature of humans:
They are shallow and materialistic.

My friend, you shouldn't let their insecurities f*** you over. You're letting them win.

If you're ever in Las Vegas, I'll go to a club with you. Then, we'll get some hookers and blow.

Z

Established Member
Reaction score
Aplunk1 said:
People are cruel. Their insecurities get the better of them...

When my dad starting going bald (in his 40's), he had a mid-life crisis, which in a roundabout way fucked my my entire family-- divorce, extravagent money spending (my college money), etc.

Everday it becomes seemingly more obvious of the true nature of humans:
They are shallow and materialistic.

My friend, you shouldn't let their insecurities f*** you over. You're letting them win.

If you're ever in Las Vegas, I'll go to a club with you. Then, we'll get some hookers and blow.

I will be over there later on this year.

I love the filthy place.

Johnny24601

Experienced Member
Reaction score
re:

I certainly think it is you who are convincing yourself that others are staying away because you are balding a little bit. Your thinning hair could be affecting your confidence and thus making you paranoid. Maybe I have just been lucky, but of the dozen or so close friends I have, none would ever let male pattern baldness factor in our relationships. In fact I never even noticed that any of my friends had male pattern baldness until I realized I did.
Another potential thing to consider is whether your own personal depression/anxiety over hairloss has become so large that it is negatively affecting your everyday personality and like anyone, your friends do not like being around you in your depressed state.
The only other explanation is that your friends are just shallow jerks and you are lucky that your male pattern baldness has revealed their true colors. If this is the case, then confront them and tell them to kiss your ***.

sammy

Reaction score
Hey man,

people will allways be people, do what i will do, shave your head razor then body build like you never had before. Better to look mean than just average chicks like it or be a pretty boy but you will need hair for that.

cheers all.

diffuse_curse

Reaction score
i agree sammy..i have a interesting charisma in university..i sometimes shave my head..a shaved head with a beard..consideration of boys increase..no one dare to talk or ask about my head ..i can see it in their eyes..but i think girl dislike..i look like too much rude,hard,unkind..

diffuse_curse

Reaction score
and i think boys like you when u are going bald..why?..because u are imperfect..they like this advantage on you in subconscious..your position boost their morale..if u can tolerate their jokes,they like you more..