Making a Lace System Last As Long As Possible - Tips?

mambovipi

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I have my second one and the difference in the front is huge. The first one was a HUGE learning curve and really made some big mistakes in the first few months leading to heavy loss at the front. Also I had to wait 5 months (unavoidable) for the second. I'm pretty determined to make the second last longer, esp with the front so am looking for some tips. Currently I am doing this:

1) Once a week re-do the front with IPA + cotton wool. Then C-22 + shampoo for anything stubborn I couldn't get off.
2) Re-groom once every three weeks. (Wash with rapid release & shampoo until clean)
3) Wash (shampoo) once a week, when I re-do the front. No daily rinsing.
4) Style in the morning with water & daily leave in conditioner in the morning and before bed (the Equave one)

I think one of the biggest things was I used to pull hair out when cleaning the front every morning so am VERY careful there now and ALWAYS use IPA.

Any tips on anything I should be doing that I'm not? Or anything I'm doing wrong?

I know there is little point in pushing a system too far but just want to see, when looked after well, how much I can actually push it!

Cheers!

noblesources

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I still think the heavy loss comes from using acrylic adhesive. If you want to prolong your front hairline with lace then tape is best IMO. Also some people love top loc knot sealer and some say it doesnt do anything. I have tried it once and it is too early to tell, but it's worth a shot still.

Technologic0280

My Regimen
Reaction score
In my experience, washing/rinsing, and roughing it up (make sure you use a system friendly brush) will cause the most wear. Your plan sounds good to me. I have a lace/poly perimeter hybrid system and its lasted me 14 (going on 15 months) by pretty much doing what you lay out as your new plan. Important to note: I ONLY use tapes on the perimeter, use spray in system safe conditioner to style (no gels or styling products!), and do not sleep with the system on. I also believe that added to its longevity as well.

mambovipi

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
In my experience, washing/rinsing, and roughing it up (make sure you use a system friendly brush) will cause the most wear. Your plan sounds good to me. I have a lace/poly perimeter hybrid system and its lasted me 14 (going on 15 months) by pretty much doing what you lay out as your new plan. Important to note: I ONLY use tapes on the perimeter, use spray in system safe conditioner to style (no gels or styling products!), and do not sleep with the system on. I also believe that added to its longevity as well.
Your last part is a big one. I think most of the damage happens when I sleep. I'm not prepared to take it off daily like you so will have to just live with the consequences. Thanks for your input!

Technologic0280

My Regimen
Reaction score
Your last part is a big one. I think most of the damage happens when I sleep. I'm not prepared to take it off daily like you so will have to just live with the consequences. Thanks for your input!

Where's your sense of adventure?? :D Its not for everybody (sleeping with the system sitting on the night stand) lol, but god.does.it.feel.gooooood. The funny part is when friends/family/neighbors stop by early in the morning, or on the weekend when Im moving slowly, and I forget that I dont have it on :p A few times I did the "OH sh*t" and ran to grab my cap before answering the door.

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
I also hate sleeping w systems...

Get a satin bonnet. They have porous ones and non, and I have both types - depending on weather etc.

Love sleeping a buzzed/shaved head!

mambovipi

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Where's your sense of adventure?? :D Its not for everybody (sleeping with the system sitting on the night stand) lol, but god.does.it.feel.gooooood. The funny part is when friends/family/neighbors stop by early in the morning, or on the weekend when Im moving slowly, and I forget that I dont have it on :p A few times I did the "OH sh*t" and ran to grab my cap before answering the door.
Ha! yeah takes me back to the days I used to always wear a hat! That was the first thing when wearing a system, I had to adjust to not always wearing a hat. I suppose I replaced one hat for another! For me, the priority is no fuss, so just forget about it as much as possible which is why I don't want to go this route. Also why I push the tape to three weeks. I'm sure that if you do something daily, you will get pretty good and quick at it soon enough but just not for me!

I also hate sleeping w systems...

Get a satin bonnet. They have porous ones and non, and I have both types - depending on weather etc.

Love sleeping a buzzed/shaved head!
I personally don't have any issues with sleeping with a system, but I'm sure most of the damage happens when sleeping. I use satin pillowcases but the first parts to lift are always the edges that I sleep on! I'll check out what a bonnet is. thanks!

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
As far as the hair itself is concerned, I found that not washing it makes the system last a lot longer. Of course it does need a wash now and again to clean out the products like conditioners etc, but I found I can go a month or so without having to shampoo the hair.

On a daily basis I do wet the hair using a spray, and use a leave-in conditioner or argan oil. I avoid using any styling products.

I wear 24/7, i.e. sleep with the system too.

George Hen

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I wear lace systems with poly back and sides.

I used to get 6 months out of a system, my last one and current one will be around a year (current one probably quite a bit more).

biggest change I made was taping the front. Any previous systems would thin at the hairline due to the adhesive and I’d have to replace them.

Other things I do which aid longevity a lot are:

1. brush gently every morning after waking up and just before going to bed - make sure to smooth out the hair well to avoid build up of knots and tangles

2. I never use any products in the hair. If it’s getting a bit dry I wash with conditioner to give it a boost but that’s it

3. I usually wear a hat outdoors during the day (baseball cap) to protect from the sun and to prevent having to use UV conditioner.

That’s about it. These things are expensive so every month counts.

noblesources

Experienced Member
Reaction score

I used to get 6 months out of a system, my last one and current one will be around a year (current one probably quite a bit more).

biggest change I made was taping the front. Any previous systems would thin at the hairline due to the adhesive and I’d have to replace them.

1. brush gently every morning after waking up and just before going to bed - make sure to smooth out the hair well to avoid build up of knots and tangles

2. I never use any products in the hair. If it’s getting a bit dry I wash with conditioner to give it a boost but that’s it

3. I usually wear a hat outdoors during the day (baseball cap) to protect from the sun and to prevent having to use UV conditioner.

What tape do you use for the front hairline?

timn420

Reaction score

Does taping the front mean that you can't have an exposed hairline?

mambovipi

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
As far as the hair itself is concerned, I found that not washing it makes the system last a lot longer. Of course it does need a wash now and again to clean out the products like conditioners etc, but I found I can go a month or so without having to shampoo the hair.

On a daily basis I do wet the hair using a spray, and use a leave-in conditioner or argan oil. I avoid using any styling products.

I wear 24/7, i.e. sleep with the system too.
Thanks, I re-do the front weekly and have a build-up of conditioner by that time so find a once a week wash really helps. Also I do a re-groom every three weeks where I would need to wash it when I do a deep clean of the lace. When I re-do the front I use a bit of C-22 which really helps get out any stubborn glue that alcohol didn't get. So I understand a once a month wash works for you and appreciate the advise but I don't think it's viable for me.

That's quite a difference. From 6 months to a year.
A lot of people have commented the same on this thread, saying that the glue causes a lot of the shedding. I haven't really experienced that but time will tell.
Problem is I don't get how you guys apply tape to the front? It would have to be DEAD ON the first square of lace and the shape of the tape would have to match the contour of your front hairline. Even then, with an exposed hairline the lace will always be visible as it won't be flush with your skin. How exactly do you guys do it?
1) Thanks! I do the same. I don't usually get tangles as have a low density unit and short length.
2) Why do you not use leave-in conditioner?
3) I don't live in a part of the world where this is a problem but will bear this is mind when it is! thanks!

George Hen

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What tape do you use for the front hairline?
I use Walker Ultra Hold tabs. I used Walker No Shine for the first few years but found it to be much more difficult to clean during maintenance. The Ultra Tape holds just as well and doesn’t leave loads of sticky residue during cleanup. It also comes off the system (especially the poly) very easily for me.

George Hen

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Does taping the front mean that you can't have an exposed hairline?
That’s right, I can’t have an exposed hairline. Luckily I don’t really suit a style with an exposed hairline - my hair looks better when it ‘naturally’ falls forward at the hairline. I can kind of lift the hair at the front so it’s higher than the rest and frames my face better but it does still fall a bit at the bottom to cover the hairline - hope that makes sense!

George Hen

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks, I re-do the front weekly and have a build-up of conditioner by that time so find a once a week wash really helps. Also I do a re-groom every three weeks where I would need to wash it when I do a deep clean of the lace. When I re-do the front I use a bit of C-22 which really helps get out any stubborn glue that alcohol didn't get. So I understand a once a month wash works for you and appreciate the advise but I don't think it's viable for me.

That's quite a difference. From 6 months to a year.
A lot of people have commented the same on this thread, saying that the glue causes a lot of the shedding. I haven't really experienced that but time will tell.
Problem is I don't get how you guys apply tape to the front? It would have to be DEAD ON the first square of lace and the shape of the tape would have to match the contour of your front hairline. Even then, with an exposed hairline the lace will always be visible as it won't be flush with your skin. How exactly do you guys do it?
1) Thanks! I do the same. I don't usually get tangles as have a low density unit and short length.
2) Why do you not use leave-in conditioner?
3) I don't live in a part of the world where this is a problem but will bear this is mind when it is! thanks!
Taping the front is great not only to prevent shedding but it also massively reduces the amount of maintence I have to do - the tape holds solidly for over a week or even two whereas the adhesive would initially be even stronger than tape is, but weaken after only 3 days.

To answer your question on how it’s done:

I tape up the whole system except for the front and then cover the tape lightly with the paper tabs which were originally on the tape. I apply a small bit of advesive at the front and centre of my scalp so I can place the system down (guided by dots drawn using the system/template for positioning) and it holds temporarily. Once I’m happy with the position I remove the paper again and place the system down fairly lightly so I’ll be able to free any trapped hairs before forming down properly. Before I reach the back I apply a little bit of adhesive for extra support just at the very back. Once that’s all done and I’ve brushed it out and firmed it down i tape up the hairline which should be exactly where I want it.

This admittedly takes longer than I’d like but it’s worth it - I very rarely mess up the positioning now and the hold is usually solid. If you can get the tape down on the right spot the first time the hold is unreal. If you have to move it even once it can take days off of the life of the hold.

I don’t use leave-in conditioner because I haven’t found one which doesn’t either leave my hair oily and affect the bond or which ended up drying out my hair a lot. The best conditioner for me is just regular wash out conditioner - I use tresemme Color protect, works very well for me. I also don’t live in a part of the world where UV is really an issue but I do think wearing a hat has helped to prevent fading nonetheless.

mambovipi

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Cheers for all that.

Once that’s all done and I’ve brushed it out and firmed it down i tape up the hairline which should be exactly where I want it.
I was trying to figure out how you do this so precisely. I use tape at the back and with the contour it makes it really hard to get it right at the edge. I can't imagine trying to do this with the unit on!

If you can get the tape down on the right spot the first time the hold is unreal. If you have to move it even once it can take days off of the life of the hold.
This is what I do and get three weeks out of tape.
Tape sides + back but leave the backing tape on.
I have a small piece of tape right at the front as an anchor with the backing tape on. I then position it perfectly with all the backing tape on and lift the front up and remove the backing tape off that front piece and place it down.
With the front anchored I remove all the rest of the tape and just place it down while stretching it every so slightly. Works really well for me.
I then take off the tape from the front & use an eyeliner to mark out the lace.
Apply glue up to around 5-10mm from the mark I drew.
Then wipe off the line.
Place the lace down and proceed to glue the very last 5-10mm which makes it all very clean.

I don’t use leave-in conditioner because I haven’t found one which doesn’t either leave my hair oily and affect the bond or which ended up drying out my hair a lot. The best conditioner for me is just regular wash out conditioner - I use tresemme Color protect, works very well for me. I also don’t live in a part of the world where UV is really an issue but I do think wearing a hat has helped to prevent fading nonetheless.
Ok thanks!