Major shed, two years into big-3

casperz

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Up until about September of this year I had never had a shed and
I really believed that maybe shedding was imagined by some people.

Boy was I wrong, starting around October I've shed more hair and
probably lost half my gains. My scalp is clearly visible again in the
crown region and tons of lost hairs in the frontal area. I have hair
all over my sink and I see it in the shower everyday. It really sucks
to have this happen after some really good results for the past
two years.

I've made no changes to my regime in at least a year. I'm going to ride
it out but I sure hope it turns around soon. If not I'm not sure what
my next move is. I will not go to dutasteride or spironolactone so I guess it's either
hair transplant time or wait for some of the newer techs to come out.

Anyone have any success in upping their finasteride dosage after a big
shed?

abcdv12

Reaction score
I wish you good luck.
I hope you get the hair , you shed back.
I was very encouraged by your results until now.

hairrific

Established Member
Reaction score
Casperz do you know what your DHT and Testosterone levels were at the time of the shed or just before? What I am getting at is maybe something went over your follicles tolerance levels to androgens.

My other guess is maybe the Minoxidil has something to do with this . I am thinking hair, barley growing with the help of Minoxidil dropped, not finasteride hair. But just a guess, I have no experience with it personally.

I have often thought that I should have an "emergency killer shed kit" on hand for such a situation. The reason I am so paranoid of big sheds is because they come fast and furious and most of all, I never was able to replace hair lost from one, that killer shed is what got me on finasteride originally and alerted me to male pattern baldness. I never again want to relive those shocking moments of seeing that much hair in the drain!

Once was enough for me, so I have dutasteride and oral spironolactone on hand just in case. Unfortunately these can shoot your TEST level way up during the first week when first used. I think RU would be good to have on hand to. I also monitor my DHT twice a year or often as possible.

My theory is to jump on something (a handful of dutasteride all at once!!) maybe a spironolactone to prevent the shed damage, but as you know, the real secret is to predict when or if it will come, (impossible) and prevent the shed in the first place as it is easier to keep hair than replace it.

For me, I only shed 20 to 50 a day. So if I start seeing something more than that often, my plan is to put myself on notice.

wesleyBelgium

Established Member
Reaction score
add 2gr curcumin to a bottle of minoxidil 5% ....
be sure its the 95% curcumin...
it would disbalance your receptors at you hairfollikels...

i am in contact with people that use asc-j9 and there where out of stock , so they added 2gr curcumin to a bottle of minoxdil , and the feeling is the same like the asc-j9 (licht headpain, little pressurefeeling, but it is only when the stuff goes into your skin, after that its gone...) the feelings where the same as with there asc-j9 topical... sinds asc-j9 is developed out of curcumin , the action would be the same...

break down the androgen sensitive receptors at your hairs , and you will halt your hairloss

beaner

Reaction score
Give it some time as it could be a seasonal shed which is typical for this time of year. You haven't allowed enough time for the shed hair to grow back in.

I wouldn't change anything in your regimen until at least January.

casperz

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advise.

My Testosterone level was very high prior to starting, I do not know
where it is now or what my DHT level is. Since I have no symptoms
of low T, I would assume it's where it was or higher. If this is not a
seasonal shed then maybe I need to up my finasteride dosage to bring DHT down.
I just will not use dutasteride or spironolactone for the sake of my hair, It's important but
I really don't want to mess with T levels.

I think I will wait as long as I can before I change anything. I am going
to go with a buzz I think because my hair looks like crap and is so thin. I'm thinking maybe I'll up my finasteride dosage after about 4 months of shed which would
be about February. I may also check my T/DHT levels just to see.

wesleyBelgium

Established Member
Reaction score
i think it would give inprovements , sinds higer fina could result in more testo...
it depends how your body reacts on higer fina, but if you use 2 mutch fina , you could just use duta sinds the dht supression in both is verry high....
more chanse in sides also....

take it safe and just add curcumin to your minoxidil...
if you degrade your androgen receptors at you hair, your hairfollikel will be les sensitive to dht and testo...
free testosteron could do over time also damage to your hair, if the levels are high and you have sensitive receptors...

just an advice, its your choise , its safe curcumin) they sell 500mg caps of it to take orale , just disolve a few tabs of it in your minoxidil...

the best way to halt hairloss without sides is to attack your androgenic receptors at your hairfollikels , not to block all your dht...

Fender89

Established Member
Reaction score
wesley, does curcumin work for you? If it seriously stopped hairloss then why does nobody talk about it?

wesleyBelgium

Established Member
Reaction score
asc-j9 stops hairloss, i know people that use this...
they have the same feeling with curcumin in a topical as they feel with the original asc-j9

they say : the temporaly sides seem to be the same : little headpain , pressurefeeling on the scalp , just after they apply , after a while the feeling goes away

sinds asc-j9 is not availible for the ordinary group of the hairlosspeople , it could still not be bad to add curcumin to your minoxidil....

sinds asc-j9 is made out of curcumin , they boost up the concentration so that its 30x the curcumin , the chemical code is almost the same , its not dangerous to add a little to your topicals...
a dose of 1,5gr in a bottle of 60ml minoxidil would be going to the 30x of the original asc-j9

its not to replace anything, just to make your regime even more effective on your hairloss...

if you want something so you can put your fina and duta in the dumpster , then you have to waith for the original asc-j9 to come availible at the pharmacy , count 3- 4 years waithing...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i just added 1500mg curcumin to a bottle kirkland 5% minoxidil (60ml)
and the color is verry orange, so i will apply only in the evening , and rinse the hair in the morning with some water... after that apply my nanominox-ms

i will keep you posted if it works good , but its 2 early to tell now , but i have connections that if they apply it blind, the feeling is the same, almost same chemical code, action could be the same also , time will tell... :punk:

BoilerRoom

Established Member
Reaction score
This shed is probably the result of the all the newly grown hairs reaching the end of growing cycle all at one time. Ride it out and keep us updated.

casperz

Experienced Member
Reaction score
That makes perfect sense Boiler, I hope it's the case. I took some close
up photo's of my scalp and I do not see any small hairs so they
are either not growing again or the treatments are not affecting them
like two years ago when I had tons of dark baby hairs.

I have noticed that the shedding has slowed down, I guess becuase there is
not any left to shed. I notice it when I shampoo and have a hand full of hair
and the last few days the number of hairs on my hands is way down from
a month ago.

Wesley... never heard of the curcumin treatment before and I'm
not changing anything at this point. Thanks for the input.

casperz

Experienced Member
Reaction score
No new pics, I took some in December and it was so depressing I just deleted
them. It's a really bad shed but it seems like it may be almost over.

I'm not going to pay much attention to my hair until about May and then I'll take
some new pics to see where I am.

wesleyBelgium

Established Member
Reaction score
i'm not sure but have you used any topical spironolactone ?
2% lotion halted big shedding with a few fina users...

if everything fails , and you are verry depressed about it, know that theres still hair transplants... a big fue could do wonders... but i allways advice that people try lots of hairmeds first...

your shedding is maybe a part of a new haircycle...
it could be that your sheddinghair has +- the same haircycle, that could explain the massive shed now...