Maintenance With Oral Minoxidil After Finasteride?

soundnvision

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Has anyone had good results with finasteride then stopped it completely and maintained a good percentage of the results with oral minoxidil?
I know it's unlikely because different mechanisms etc etc but was just curious.

1knox1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Dr Davin Lim did exactly this.

He has a video on YouTube, titled;
‘Effective hair loss treatments’.

1knox1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
He quit finasteride and maintained with minoxidil?
Il check out the video thanks

Yeah, let me know what you think. I’ve heard a lot of great oral minoxidil stories. Just got to be careful with it.

Michael1986

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It is best to continue taking finasteride alongside the oral minoxidil if you can. Oral minoxidil on its own will not be as effective as taking a combination of both medications. It is hard to say whether oral minoxidil alone would maintain your finasteride results. The two do work in different ways. Minoxidil is thought to be primarily a growth stimulant, but there is also evidence that it interferes with the underlying balding process too. Because of the fact that it likely does interfere with the underlying balding process rather than being purely a growth stimulant, it is possible that oral minoxidil could maintain your finasteride results over the long term, but this can not be guaranteed.

soundnvision

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Oral minoxidil without antiandrogen is the stupidest sh*t ever
Stupid in terms of what?
Obviously it's not going to be as effective as taking with finasteride I just want to hear people's experiences.
My hair is thicker than it's even been since I started oral minoxidil 2 months ago ago I tried the topical for 5 years but it did nothing.

soundnvision

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It is best to continue taking finasteride alongside the oral minoxidil if you can. Oral minoxidil on its own will not be as effective as taking a combination of both medications. It is hard to say whether oral minoxidil alone would maintain your finasteride results. The two do work in different ways. Minoxidil is thought to be primarily a growth stimulant, but there is also evidence that it interferes with the underlying balding process too. Because of the fact that it likely does interfere with the underlying balding process rather than being purely a growth stimulant, it is possible that oral minoxidil could maintain your finasteride results over the long term, but this can not be guaranteed.

I'm thinking of giving it ago since oral minoxidil has worked so well for me.
If I start shedding it's back to finasteride I guess.

Last edited:

soundnvision

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Dr Davin Lim did exactly this.

He has a video on YouTube, titled;
‘Effective hair loss treatments’.
I watched the vid very interesting his hair is still looking good but would have liked to have seen what it was like before he stopped finasteride.

itsjustsimon

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Stupid in terms of what?
Obviously it's not going to be as effective as taking with finasteride I just want to hear people's experiences.
My hair is thicker than it's even been since I started oral minoxidil 2 months ago ago I tried the topical for 5 years but it did nothing.

Ask @Georgie and others who did this.

First few months are all great and then when minoxidil can't keep up the damage androgens are doing to your hair, you'll be in the same boat or even worse + you'll be scared as f*** to stop. Many then up the dose to 10mg or even 20mg a day by postponing inevitable and risk their health even further for temporary relief. Finasteride is sh*t but oral minoxidil is a different ball game.

Go on CB or RU, idk, just use some antiandrogen. Anyway, I still believe low-dose oral minoxidil is often times overlooked as hair loss treatment but how many people are really using oral minoxidil long-term? I haven't seen many here.

Michael1986

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Agreed but to be used as a last resort under Dr supervision.
I agree. Oral minoxidil is definitely something a person has to be very careful with because it is powerful and risky stuff to be putting in your body. I myself will shortly be taking 1.25mg a day, which should be reasonably safe. The OP of this thread is taking 5mg a day, which is a medium sort of dose. One person on this forum takes 20mg a day, which is WAY more than I myself would ever risk taking.

Ziggyz123

Established Member
Reaction score
I’ve been on this forum for like five years. I’ve also tried almost everything to stop my hairloss. I haven’t seen one oral minoxidil success story on here that convinced me that it was worth using. Minoxidil shedding, even when topical, SUCK. I went through it. But yeah, Goodluck with oral. There are papers on it and people have claimed from time to time that it did help.

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't think it's good to stop finasteride unless the sides are unbearable for you. Trying to maintain with just minoxidil wont end well imo. I've started taking 20mg at night, im still not sure if splitting that up to 10mg in morning 10mg at night would produce better results as its active for longer, but im just going to stick to 20mg at night and see what happens, i was on 10mg at night since october, helped slightly with diffuse thinning on the top of my head but did nothing for my crown, then recently i went through a monstrous shed similiar to the shed i had when i first started oral minoxidil and have lost alot of density up top. Im also on dutasteride and spironolactone, i need to be extra careful with oral minoxidil because of spironolactone. Im growing hair in lots of places all over my body but not where i want.

Michael1986

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't think it's good to stop finasteride unless the sides are unbearable for you. Trying to maintain with just minoxidil wont end well imo. I've started taking 20mg at night, im still not sure if splitting that up to 10mg in morning 10mg at night would produce better results as its active for longer, but im just going to stick to 20mg at night and see what happens, i was on 10mg at night since october, helped slightly with diffuse thinning on the top of my head but did nothing for my crown, then recently i went through a monstrous shed similiar to the shed i had when i first started oral minoxidil and have lost alot of density up top. Im also on dutasteride and spironolactone, i need to be extra careful with oral minoxidil because of spironolactone. Im growing hair in lots of places all over my body but not where i want.
Have you noticed any side-effects from taking 20mg a day? That's a very high dose. I'm only planning on taking 1.25mg a day. It is unfortunate that you haven't had good results considering you're on such a powerful regimen that also includes dutasteride and spironolactone.