[m22] An Interesting Case Of Diffuse... Need 2nd Opinion

thatredpanda

My Regimen
Reaction score
Long time Lurker, First time Poster. I'll start by saying that I recognize my hair-loss is not nearly as bad as many of the people in this sub and I consider myself super lucky for catching this early.

I'm a 22 y/o healthy dude. I recently got a buzz cut (#2 Guard), cuz I wanted a hair re-set. It's pretty obvious that I have diffuse thinning, and I'm only realizing it now. I'll start with the most damning pics. (the first few are under direct light).

What's weird is that when I grow my hair to a short-medium length, there's really no evidence of thinning... at all... my crown looks like a normal worhl (see pic). I thought my hair was supposed to look fuller with a buzz cut? Is it possible that's just what my crown looks like super short under direct light? Has anyone else had this experience with a buzz cut?

I'm really not in a spot financially to be dropping $40 a month on finasteride or Min. Plus, I don't think I look that bad with super short hair. Can anyone comment or give me some peace of mind? Thank you so much. (last pic was from a great hair day I was having)

Attachments

• IMG_3857.JPG
    IMG_3857.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 279
  • IMG_3854.JPG
    IMG_3854.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 248
  • IMG_3852.JPG
    IMG_3852.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 253
  • IMG_3587.JPG
    IMG_3587.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 279
  • IMG_3428 2.JPG
    IMG_3428 2.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 268

MrPortugal

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
$40 a month lol bro, many guys pay like $50 a year for Minoxidil and finasteride.

I think you have a mild thinning crown/vertex.

CopeForLife

My Regimen
Reaction score

shookwun

Reaction score
privileged density, all though your crown fate awaits you.

either take your finastetride like a good boy or welcome your demise. :D

CopeForLife

My Regimen
Reaction score
privileged density, all though your crown fate awaits you.

either take your finastetride like a good boy or welcome your demise. :D

imagine lose that hair... this density is just insane

shookwun

Reaction score
un real density.

I see these guys the odd time.

Rare, but they exist. Every graft is literally a 3-4.... dense, and thick calibre

no 1 hair grafts

thatredpanda

My Regimen
Reaction score

I started off my post by recognizing my hair density is not as bad as many of the folks on this site.

Thinning was only evident when I buzzed it. If it would stay this way until age 30, I'd be happy as f***. Perhaps when I have more steady income I'll get on finasteride... but that's not the case at the moment. Also, not stoked on the idea of dependency...

shookwun

Reaction score
not as bad? you have insane density, and tier 1 type of hair characteristics.

Look at finasteride as an insurance policy to maintaining your hair

biddybomb

Experienced Member
Reaction score
If you get on finasteride you will not be going bald for a very long time. It seems like your hairline is set in stone and will be the last thing to go which is a blessing if your hairloss isn't aggressive or if you respond well to treatments.

shookwun

Reaction score
If you get on finasteride you will not be going bald for a very long time. It seems like your hairline is set in stone and will be the last thing to go which is a blessing if your hairloss isn't aggressive or if you respond well to treatments.
only a blessing if you maintain with drugs.

If you don't its the worst type of hair loss in concern to hair transplants. total graft eater, and wont have anything for the front once it reaches forward.

thatredpanda

My Regimen
Reaction score

Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate the input here, everyone. I'll talk to a dermatologist about it first, perhaps start out with rogaine or something. It's for sure diffuse thinning, I have little to no evidence of recession.

My sex drive is already really finicky, I'd rather just keep buzzing my hair than losing my erections.

thatredpanda

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm not totally convinced your even balding. Could be the lighting to be honest.

That's a nice thought :) All these pics are within a month of each other, but different lighting makes it look DRASTICALLY different. Also, in fairness, I did get a very short cut. It makes sense it would look a little thinner.

If anyone's curious about my family's hair patterns - My grandpa on my mom's side is pushing 90 with a full head of hair, it's kind of spectacular. My dad is mid 50's. His crown is definitely thin, but he has a decent amount of hair. Uncle on mom's side is pretty bald, but cancer absolutely accelerated that. Generally, my extended family all has decent hair.

davesmith420

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate the input here, everyone. I'll talk to a dermatologist about it first, perhaps start out with rogaine or something. It's for sure diffuse thinning, I have little to no evidence of recession.

My sex drive is already really finicky, I'd rather just keep buzzing my hair than losing my erections.

You won't be saying that when you're a Norwood 6 and can't even get a landwhale to suck you off.

Pacey123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Eh. I still look good with buzzed/super short hair. I'm not worried about that lol

That might be true but there is a huge difference between buzcut and a bowl with no hair.

Just get on Finasteride because Minoxidil isn't the right thing to do if your hair follicles are intact :)

thatredpanda

My Regimen
Reaction score
That might be true but there is a huge difference between buzcut and a bowl with no hair.

Just get on Finasteride because Minoxidil isn't the right thing to do if your hair follicles are intact :)

I was considering starting off with Min on my crown for a while instead of jumping right to finasteride. Is Min not very effective on crowns?

Pacey123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I was considering starting off with Min on my crown for a while instead of jumping right to finasteride. Is Min not very effective on crowns?

It is indeed but from what i've seen so far is that the success is only short lived, finasteride eliminates the main problem =DHT

kj6723

My Regimen
Reaction score

You need some kind of anti-androgen action or you're 100% fighting a losing battle

Minoxidil without an anti-androgen is a bandaid that might buy you a few years

Still, just minoxidil is better than nothing

Last edited: