[m18]can Someone Tell What Exactly My Balding Is?

Oscarmartinez

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm 18 and I started noticing that I've been thinning/losing hair in late May after I had a pretty short haircut. I had also been finding hairs on my desk every time I played with my hair since 2016 basically but I thought that was because my hair was pretty thick. Since then some of my hair has grown but not the parts where I can see my scalp and it's really been messing with me man. I went to a doctor and she prescribed me minoxidil but did not really diagnose me and I haven't started using minoxidil because I thought I'd come here and ask for help.

So how bad is it? What Norwood type am I? These are pictures from when my hair is dry and when my hair is wet. I really hate that I'm going through this right now at this young age and I'm sure it has something with the extensive stress I've going through for the past two years. So what kind of combination of meds do you guys recommend if any? Should I apply minoxidil? Could this be Telogen?

For comparison I've included a photo of what my hair looked like in March.

Attachments

• 20180814_152328.jpg
    20180814_152328.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 257
  • 20180814_140613.jpg
    20180814_140613.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 267
  • 20180814_140757.jpg
    20180814_140757.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 260
  • 20180814_140803.jpg
    20180814_140803.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 236
  • 20180814_140810.jpg
    20180814_140810.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 261
  • 20180814_141037.jpg
    20180814_141037.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 235
  • 20180814_144138.jpg
    20180814_144138.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 243
  • 20180814_144214.jpg
    20180814_144214.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 237
  • 20180814_140240.jpg
    20180814_140240.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 237
  • 20180814_140405.jpg
    20180814_140405.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 267

Retinoid

My Regimen
Reaction score
I would use the Minoxidil on the top for 6 months and reevaluate. I had similar thinning at 19 and used it for six months and stopped and was fine for 10yrs.

You hair line still looks good.

recedingornot87

My Regimen
Reaction score
You are around NW1 with diffuse thinning. Like Retinoid said get on minoxidil and use that for now. When you are a bit older if your hair keeps getting worse you can consider finasteride.

Heinrich Harrer

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Could be inflammation. Could be hypothyroidism. If you’re not losing ground in the temple-crown area, don’t bother.
And stop using minoxidil, there’s no reason for you to mess with it yet.

Oscarmartinez

My Regimen
Reaction score
I would use the Minoxidil on the top for 6 months and reevaluate. I had similar thinning at 19 and used it for six months and stopped and was fine for 10yrs.

You hair line still looks good.
What do you mean you were fine? Did your hair get thicker or did that area get covered or what happened?

Also will there be any shredding when I start minozidil?

Oscarmartinez

My Regimen
Reaction score
Could be inflammation. Could be hypothyroidism. If you’re not losing ground in the temple-crown area, don’t bother.
And stop using minoxidil, there’s no reason for you to mess with it yet.
What about the bald patch that's clearly visible when my hair is wet?

Also what makes you think it's those two conditions and what are they caused by?

Heinrich Harrer

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
What about the bald patch that's clearly visible when my hair is wet?

Also what makes you think it's those two conditions and what are they caused by?

There is no bald spot, you’re just splitting the hair and shedding light. Hypothyroidism can cause hair loss that later evolves into alopecia. It can also change the color of the hair in the crown and change them from straight to curly for example. Inflammation starts as itching and redness, if you don’t have it then don’t use minoxidil because you may very well end up having it. I’d be cautious with haircuts, many salons don’t clean their tools properly. I have a fear I caught something as a teenager from that.

Oscarmartinez

My Regimen
Reaction score
There is no bald spot, you’re just splitting the hair and shedding light. Hypothyroidism can cause hair loss that later evolves into alopecia. It can also change the color of the hair in the crown and change them from straight to curly for example. Inflammation starts as itching and redness, if you don’t have it then don’t use minoxidil because you may very well end up having it. I’d be cautious with haircuts, many salons don’t clean their tools properly. I have a fear I caught something as a teenager from that.
Wouldn't Minoxidil make my hair look more normal and cover up the splitting wrea though?

Oscarmartinez

My Regimen
Reaction score
No. You don’t have disrupted hair cycle and you’re not miniaturizing, why would you use minoxidil. Get blood tests done.
Why should i get blood tests done? Sorry if this is a stupid question I'm just really stressed about this and I really appreciate your help

OfficialWater

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Def loss of density. Hairline appears fine but pic is still hard to tell. I’d see a dermatologist

Is you’re name really Oscar Martinez or is that an office reference lol

Oscarmartinez

My Regimen
Reaction score
Def loss of density. Hairline appears fine but pic is still hard to tell. I’d see a dermatologist

Is you’re name really Oscar Martinez or is that an office reference lol
It's an office reference lol. Should I use Minoxidil? Will that bring back the density?

Btg

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
do you lose hair on the sides of your head ? if yes it is possibly some other medical condition like thyroid or you might be missing vitamins or sth .
if hairloss is only on the top of your head it might be the start of diffuse thinning , but it is hard to see from the pics .
your best shot is to visit a derm specialized in hairloss
also get your bloodwork done to see if anything is off

Oscarmartinez

My Regimen
Reaction score
do you lose hair on the sides of your head ? if yes it is possibly some other medical condition like thyroid or you might be missing vitamins or sth .
if hairloss is only on the top of your head it might be the start of diffuse thinning , but it is hard to see from the pics .
your best shot is to visit a derm specialized in hairloss
also get your bloodwork done to see if anything is off
Yes I have noticed a little bit of thinning on the side though it is most noticeable on top of my head