LP's Story. Receding + thinning, 32yo w/pics

Reaction score
Hello

I've been reading this forum for a while now (usually during hair loss freak outs) and its a great place.

My story:

I noticed my hairline starting to receed about 10 years ago, panicked about it but was confused about the massive amounts of contradictory information I found online and decided it was hopeless. Also I ended up in a long term relationship and pretty much chilled out and accepted it. My dad is in his early 60s now and is a NH 5 and I'm following in his footsteps and receeding slowly but surely from the front.

Lately I'm unexpectedly single and self conscious (nope doesn't go away when you hit 30 like I thought) and while I've possibly left it too late and know I won't regrow what I've lost, I want to try and hold on to what I've got for as long as I can. Nothing to lose, except cash...

Firstly, I know I'm really lucky in that my male pattern baldness is slow and most people don't notice it unless they are looking for it and just think I have a widows peak (which I always did have even as a kid) and barbers tell me I have thick hair.

But the last year its definately starting to thin in the middle (vertex?), most noticible when my hair is wet or I use gel. Also have the receeding faster on the right side thing going on.

I can't decide if I'm thinning on the crown or not as I have a double crown and the hair there has always been weird because of that.

Regimen:

I have an appointment at Boots (UK pharmacy) on Friday to see if I can get on their hair retention programme, which I understand is pretty much propecia. Fingers crossed I don't get any sides. I'm also going to start Nizoral 3 times a week.

Below are some pics, sorry my webcam is shite, need to get a decent camera if I'm gonna be able to measure any changes. Will try and keep this updated with my progress.

If anyone has any tips on where to get cheaper finasteride (Proscar?) from in the UK without a prescription that would be top :)

Cheers All

[attachment=6:247txgf6]h0.jpg[/attachment:247txgf6]

[attachment=5:247txgf6]h1.jpg[/attachment:247txgf6]

[attachment=4:247txgf6]h2.jpg[/attachment:247txgf6]

[attachment=3:247txgf6]h3.jpg[/attachment:247txgf6]

[attachment=2:247txgf6]h5.jpg[/attachment:247txgf6]

[attachment=0:247txgf6]h4.jpg[/attachment:247txgf6]

[attachment=1:247txgf6]h7.jpg[/attachment:247txgf6]

Attachments

• h0.jpg
    h0.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 3,156
  • h1.jpg
    h1.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 3,150
  • h2.jpg
    h2.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 194
  • h3.jpg
    h3.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 3,161
  • h5.jpg
    h5.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 3,168
  • h7.jpg
    h7.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 3,163
  • h4.jpg
    h4.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 189
Reaction score
Hey again

Got myself a decent camera, so took some baseline pictures. Who knew how hard it is to take decent photos of your own head! I hope with practice they get better. These are taken about three weeks after my last hair cut, normally get cut every 5/6 weeks.

Scary looking at these pics as didn't realise my hairloss was this bad till I started photographing it... I will try to keep posting pics every three months, or more frequently, this measuring hairloss is getting a bit addictive in a car crash kind of way.

Would appreciate any opinions on whether or not I should try Regaine on the double crown? Is it proper balding or does it just look bad cos there is more of it?

Thanks for reading

Attachments

• Front wet.jpg
    Front wet.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 201
  • Left wet 2.jpg
    Left wet 2.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 198
  • right dry.jpg
    right dry.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 197
  • right wet.jpg
    right wet.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 192
  • Top wet 2.jpg
    Top wet 2.jpg
    263.7 KB · Views: 172
  • top dry.jpg
    top dry.jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 197
  • Top dry 2.jpg
    Top dry 2.jpg
    289.4 KB · Views: 185
Reaction score
Cheers guys. Got my Propecia for three months from Boots as wanted to see the pharmacist there for peace of mind, but to be honest I think I learnt more about male pattern baldness from these forums than from her. So will see how it goes and if all OK will switch to Fincar from Inhousepharmacy when my supply runs out cos its so much cheaper. Also got some regaine so giving that a shot too.

Reaction score
One month update:

Nothing really to report as to be expected after only a month but thought I'd update monthly anyway for posterity. Been through my first box of Propecia and have another 2 months supply.

Regaine foam works well for me most mornings, actually got a compliment from someone at work about my hair the first day I used it. Kirkland liquid at night is a sticky mess. Have managed to get it everywhere including in my eye. At least it gives good coverage as I think sometimes most of the foam goes on my hair rather than scalp. Have ordered a derma roller as they look pretty nifty.

Nizoral gives me straw scarecrow hair so have got into the routine of using it at night and then washing my hair with a different shampoo in the mornings.

The only thing that I'm noticing is that my hair seems to be growing slower. I'd normally be a few weeks overdue for a haircut right now but doesn't seem to need it.

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
I still have a bit of trouble with the liquid, in time you'll figure out how to minimize any dripping down your forehead lol.

Reaction score
Yeah! I'm getting better with the liquid, no more minoxidil eye drops.

I'm at just over 2 months on the big three. I noticed at about week five lots of tiny, tiny colourless hairs sprouting in my hairline, so small at first I could only notice them when applying minoxidil, can now see them in strong light. It would be nice to think some of these will turn into real hairs, but as I can also see them on my forehead in places where the minoxidil runs down as I apply it, I'm wondering how likely that is. Or if they do I will have a very hairy forehead too (which would look odd but I could live with!).

Am also using a dermaroller every other day, no idea if its helping but like to think it is and doesn't cause me any more hassle to use.

Am being pretty religious with finasteride/minoxidil/nizoral and so far not missed any days.

Reaction score
Hey man.

First, I think even though everyone here laments the fact that we must deal with hair loss, yours isn't so bad! At 32 years old, you have a great head of hair on you. With medication, you'll be 42 years old with your original hairs intact and by then who knows where you'll be in life [happily married, successful career] and if they have made breakthroughs in male pattern baldness. Since your male pattern baldness occurred a little later in life and it does not seem to be aggressive, you should be fine!

K

Kirby

FischerSnapper said:
Since your male pattern baldness occurred a little later in life and it does not seem to be aggressive, you should be fine!
That's what i keep telling myself. That and there will be some better form(s) of treatment emerge before long...

Hope lapsedpacifist's regimen is still going well, if he's reading this.

Reaction score
cheers guys :) regimen is going well (though its still really really early days). I can tell you are a glass half full kinda guy FischerSnapper, it's good to be reminded to look on the brightside. Lets all keep our fingers crossed for that cure, or at least a better range of treatments.

mrfifs

Reaction score
Hey guys how long will the itch last? Mine is basically occurring at the crown and temples because that's where I majorly apply minoxidil. I'm into one week on using nizoral. Some times cannot help it but to scratch and I know it's not advisable to do so.

Reaction score
hey mrfifs, I'm afraid I've haven't experienced any itching (yet...) so no idea how long it will last. Have you tried using aloevera gel or something like that to sooth any irritation?

mrfifs

Reaction score
Lapsedpacifist, I havent apply anything else besides using big 3 now. Not sure if the itching is an indication that the minoxidil is working or not or is it bad. Would be greatful to have any of knowledable on this to help me out. So far, nizoral haven sooth the itch yet as I've only used it for a week. I'm going on a pretty bad shed phase now, everyone I shampoo my hair I've got about 20 strands on my hand. Please let it be temporary though.