lpm2's Story

lpm2

Reaction score
Hello

Right after a year of rapid hair loss, a bit of anxiety, a world economic crisis and about 440 cups of tea i've decided to do something about my hairloss.

Here's the deal, i used to have thick curly hair - I've always known that i was likely to go bald, but assumed that it would happen after forty. I was happy with this. My father looks good as a balding man, sometimes people salute him in the street such is the measure of the man. That's not true. They actually flick the v's. Always put a joke in.

Anyway, I've always suffered with a bit of anxiety - I do well to keep it under control and deal with it, sadly it's a genetic thing which was triggered by a life event. Apart from internal physical symptoms, no one would tell that i had a problem ( i smile and get on with things)

However in the last year that's all changed. I was going slowly bald, edging my way toward a life of mature responsibility via a few hair raising drinking sessions and hard graft at work (I've got a pretty cool job when i get the work in). But after a month long festival where I worked long hours every days, followed by socializing, i started to notice my hair coming out by the handful.

And it's continued ever since. Month by month, the hair on my head itches and burns it's way out of my scalp and onto the bathroom sink/floor. I'd say I've lost about 50 % of what I had.

That, of course doesn't help anxiety. My Docs initially turned me away from the hairloss thing, saying that it would go away if my anxiety levels went down. However, my argument was if I had anxiety for 9 years, why would hairloss suddenly start? But point taken, and i've been doing more meditation, medication and bit less standing next to hungry tigers.

Anyway, after months of working out whether to accept going bald I, alongside my girlfriend, have decided to fight back. Or at least give it a go.

Why? I think it;s because its happened so fast, that I was struggling to deal with it. Going slowly bald allows you to adjust, and whilst you'll always want hair, at least it happens to you at a decent time. I can still remember what it was like to style hair. It was only about 4 months ago.

Also It was affecting my every day life so much it pissed off my missus. I don;t want to split up with her, especially as she's looking forward to drawing on my head.

Here were my absolutes:

1) No Illegal crap. I did buy some a few months back, but didn't want to run the risk, after seeing loads of news stories about what could be in that stuff. So i binned it.

2) No Hair Transplants. Nope. Not doing it. (I reserve the right to change my mind)

3) Nothing that isn't approved.

I initially went to a trichologist in london (the really famous one), but it was incredibly expensive. For 1000 pounds less (1500 USD) I'm doing it my way, legally as well.

Yesterday I started on Propecia (boots). I've ordered some Rogaine from the US (cheaper, easier to use). And I've come to say hello. Apparently talking to like minded people makes you come to acceptance.....

So, hail to all balding brethren! I trust that you are in good spirits, do come greet me - I won't judge your hairline. Hope the light dodging is going well....

Day 2 pics attached. If i stick a mega flash on it looks worse. If i sit in a dark cave and people only look at me through sunglasses i look great. I've noticed that.

Cheers

Attachments

• top01.jpg
    top01.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 180
  • front01.jpg
    front01.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 189

lpm2

Reaction score
Cheers dude.

Yeah it looks alright in that light - stick it under anything brighter, or grow it long, and it looks a bit rubbish.

Will see how it goes. Just a waiting game i guess.

metropolis

Established Member
Reaction score
lpm2 said:
[...]

Here were my absolutes:

1) No Illegal crap. I did buy some a few months back, but didn't want to run the risk, after seeing loads of news stories about what could be in that stuff. So i binned it.

2) No Hair Transplants. Nope. Not doing it. (I reserve the right to change my mind)

3) Nothing that isn't approved.

I initially went to a trichologist in london (the really famous one), but it was incredibly expensive. For 1000 pounds less (1500 USD) I'm doing it my way, legally as well.

[...]

Wise words, but why on earth did you spend 1000 GPB on a trichologist?!

Anyway, your hair looks great and you're taking the right measures. Good luck!

lpm2

Reaction score
Ah well, their adverts are everywhere in London - and they are quite mainstream .. They offer 12 1/2 pc minoxodil and azelic acid and propecia in a special easy to use cream. They also chuck in a laser comb, and hair vitamins stuff.

It's definately a case of them praying on people who don't search the net - and of course their stuff works, so they can charge what they want.

Fair play to them, but the cost was way too high for me . I thought propecia and rogaine cost enough, but my g/f reminded me that her friend spends 70 pounds a month on eczema creams that she cant live without.

Thanks for your words dude, those pics don't really do it justice, it looks alot worse in proper light - but at least there's stuff to play with!

By the way are there any other stories of people losing alot in less than a year?

L

Oknow

My Regimen
Reaction score
lpm2 said:
Ah well, their adverts are everywhere in London - and they are quite mainstream .. They offer 12 1/2 pc minoxodil and azelic acid and propecia in a special easy to use cream. They also chuck in a laser comb, and hair vitamins stuff.

Belgravia centre?

cuebald

Reaction score
Looks a little thin, nothing major. minoxidil should thicken it up nicely.

How old are you? I'd say loss like that doesn't look bad for someone in their twenties. It does look like it's in its early stages though.

lpm2

Reaction score

It looks alot worse in bright light, there are several areas that are patchy when grown out a bit longer. At some point i'll get some pre shave shots that aren't too nice looking. I'll also use a better camera next time which highlights the thinning area better.

However, buzzing seems to have helped anxiety about hairloss. If anyone gets very upset about it, i'd recommend it. Whilst it doesn't totally help, it certainly lessens your emotinal response.

minoxidil should be turning up this week. Not sure whether to start it straight away or wait 3 months to see what propecia can do for me. Any thoughts?

lpm2

Reaction score
Ok... managed to get some before after shots going on... this is all pre treatment, but hopefully enough show how much has gone so quickly.

The first pictureis now under harsh light (but not an slr camera!). Oh dear.

The second picture is the end of june this year. Now I had been losing loads of hair before this, there were a few bald patches knocking about the middle, but as you can see in a normal light, it was cool.

Has anyone else lost so much hair so quickly? The docs have done loads of tests and everything seems to be fine health wise (eg no diabetes, thyroid etc etc)

Attachments

• 4976_111878215134_578490134_2772421_3132116_n.jpg
    4976_111878215134_578490134_2772421_3132116_n.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 2,368
  • P181009_11.37.JPG
    P181009_11.37.JPG
    237 KB · Views: 181

astros148

Established Member
Reaction score
lpm2 said:
Ok... managed to get some before after shots going on... this is all pre treatment, but hopefully enough show how much has gone so quickly.

The first pictureis now under harsh light (but not an slr camera!). Oh dear.

The second picture is the end of june this year. Now I had been losing loads of hair before this, there were a few bald patches knocking about the middle, but as you can see in a normal light, it was cool.

Has anyone else lost so much hair so quickly? The docs have done loads of tests and everything seems to be fine health wise (eg no diabetes, thyroid etc etc)
you should keep it long , looks better

lpm2

Reaction score
1 MONTH UPDATE

We'll it's been officially 4 weeks, or 28 days since starting propecia. To be honest, I'm not sure if it's made any difference yet. Got some HQ photo's from boots which showed my baseline, and i've shaved again since then.

What's amazed me is how much i've lost - i'm now a IIIv - 4 after being a 2 at the start of the year.

My hair before starting, and when it was longer, was literally coming out in handfulls (about 20-30 every time touched my head), and i'd say I was losing c 400 a day.

Now it's short, it's difficult to tell. I can see a few hairs at the length that my hair is coming out, these are falling less rapidly than before propecia (maybe 10 -20 in the shower, a couple if i rub my head). There is quite alot of hairs that are undectetable (so thin you can hardly see them, or literally less than a millimetre long). However, I do buzz abut 2 times a week, so some of this can be hair that remains in the bath after showering.

Obviously i dont mind losing the thin ones, in order for the drugs to go.

No side effects, and i started Rogaine Foam about 2 weeks abo along with nizoral.

My goals: Ideally some pretty decent regrowth - I had a good head of hair on me not that long ago. However, something about this tells me that I'd be lucky to hold onto what i've got as its really agressive - and i don;t think i'm a quick responder!

Will upload pics at 3 months. Boots say there's not much point up until then.

zephyr31

Established Member
Reaction score
i started losing my hair at pretty much the same time as you, im now 31. and been on treatments for a year.

Funnily enough i also went to a well known hair company, this one advertises on the SUN newspaper. Luckily i could smell a scam, they were asking for around £3000. what they were selling was basically finasteride, minoxidil and a stupid laser helmet treatment once per week.

they wouldnt leave me alone, kept on phoning me trying to get my cash.

Anyways, my point is more that after 1 year im REALLY happy with my hair, and i lost more than you, im just using minix once per day. so you can hopefully get great results.

stick to finasteride, minoxidil and nizoral and its all good. oh i also use retin-a on my hairline, would say add this too.

lpm2

Reaction score
1 MONTH 1 WEEK UPDATE

Well despite being able to see any bright light reelecting of my head now, i think somethings changing. I've let the hair grow a tad, and it seems to look better than it did a few weeks ago. Very light change though, but one i've picked up on (I'm sure most people are the same when they say they've study their hair for bad changes, so its good to notice a good one).

No pictures yet, and it might be because i'm having a good day, but fingers crossed it develops into something.

lpm2

Reaction score
Right

Been on propecia for about 3 months, or 84 days in terms of tablets used.

Minoxidil for about 50 days.

No photo' yet - don't think that there is any point until there is a comparison worth making.

I think that my hairloss might have got worse, and better at the same time. I'll quantify that - i think since i started taking the drugs, the mid part of my scalp has thinned out some more. Lovely. However, i've just looked in the mirror (which im doing less since i buzzed my hair) and there is definitely temporal re-growth, with miniaturized hair.

My girlfriend is adamant that my hair is on it's way back, and im willing to go along with her, as positive thinking generally helps.

I let it grow for about 2 weeks and it looked bloody rubbish, so i shaved it down again. Hopefully ill see some change soon.

Re diet, have been over excessing for a good couple of months thanks to several work do's and xmas - but am training for a half marathon starting in Jan. So maybe the change in lifestyle may help regrowth.

Photos at six months.

Have a happy few weeks - keep on fightin!

lpm2

Reaction score
Weird update alert

right in the last few days ive noticed hair growing on the side of my forehead- form the top of my eyebrows right through to the sides of my hairline. It's not so bad that everyone can notice yet although they are getting ba
blacker.

It's not distubing me yet, indeed I wanna audition for a warewolf part, but I guess that it show that the propecia definatly works. Which is pretty awesome. I guess I'll hve to see I it gets worse to decide what action I need to take- Shaving could be an option- or maybe waxing. If it gets horrendous then I'll have to consider whether it's worth taking the stuff any more.

Photos when it gets to daylight here!

L

lpm2

Reaction score
right - picture update time.

I've been on propecia for 3 1/2 months, and minoxidil about 3.

I'm now a bit more confident with hairloss, so much so that i've decided not to shave it so often, but let it grow into a 2/3, and then shave once every 10 days.

I'm not sure whether there is any tangible difference, which is i suppose is a good thing - I lost so much hair in 9 months (full head, slight thinning - to loads lost), but like everybody else on here, would like fast regrowth.

Part of my problem was that i got very down about losing so much - and suffered bad anxiety about it. However - i seem to have come through the worst of that - partly due to acceptance, also because in all other areas of my life - i'm doing really well (great job, great relationship, getting fit in the gym). Also i've seen some really bad things happen to other people recently that have made me take stock over how silly it is to worry about something that happens to so many people.

Now I still get a bit down about it now and again, but get over it pretty quickly.

Anyway - what do you guys think? I think that the crown is still pretty bad - and that there is a clear horse shoe pattern. Whether I get regrowth or not means sticking with the meds - so I have got a years supply of minoxidil, and am going to stay on propecia. I think i'll try it for 18 months all together and take stock then.

Here's hoping.....

Attachments

• IMG_0195.JPG
    IMG_0195.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 155
  • IMG_0276.JPG
    IMG_0276.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 220
  • IMG_0278.JPG
    IMG_0278.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 163
  • IMG_0270.JPG