Lowering Minoxidil Dosage Due To Sides - Any Advice?

mantis

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello.

I had been using topical Kirkland Minoxidil 5% 1 ml twice a day for a week. This dosage gave me the following side effects:
  • Headache
  • Tachycardia (increased heart rate)
  • Puffy face and heavy eyelids
These effects affected the general quality of life. My head felt pumped with blood, and increased heartbeat wouldn't let me sleep at night.

Since then, I have lowered the dosage, first to ~0.8 ml twice a day, but this didn't help much. Then I've lowered it to the ~0.5 twice a day and this have noticeably aleviated the side effects. Still, I want to decrease the dosage further.

I am seeking advice from the experiences Minoxidil users:
  1. Is it effective when applied 0.5 ml twice a day?
  2. Will it be effective if I lower it to 0.5 ml once a day? I don't want to experience heavy heartbeats at night, so I am planning to apply Minoxidil only in the morning.
Sorry if this have been answered, anyway, that's what the forums are for.

veneno

My Regimen
Reaction score
im applying 0.4 ml twice per dayand i get good results with minor sides , the key is the way of application , you need to cover as much area as you can with minimal liquid..

mantis

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the input, veneno. Does it do anything to your hair in this dosage though?

veneno

My Regimen
Reaction score
yes . i have vellus hairs and its thikker than usual , also if i take a break like 4 or 5 days of i nitice a beginning of shedding , i also have a small scalp area , so in my case 0.4ml almost covers all the surface