Low Serum Dht / Still Losing Hair, Should I Start Finasteride?

IncognitoMan

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So, I just got my blood results back, and I have low serum DHT. I am planning to begin finasteride, but I’m concerned it may not do anything considering I already have low DHT. Over the last two months, I have been taking natural supplements to lower my DHT, but I was very skeptical they would actually work. (Saw Palmetto, Beta-Sitosterol from Nettle, Vitex Berry, Pumpkin Seed Oil, etc). Is it actually possible these supplements actually lowered my serum DHT? I am continuing to lose some ground, and still receding, particularly on my left temple. Any thoughts? I’m a little concerned and depressed.

IncognitoMan

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Forgot to mention, before starting the natural supplements, I always had to wake up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom. Now, I can sleep through the night 75-80% of the time without having to take a leak. This took about 45 days to notice.... so it’s only been the last 15 days or so I’ve noticed this plus!

Samson123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Anyone have any input?

finasteride destroyed my hair basically. I didn't get a dht test before starting the drug but I believe I am low dht and didn't start until age 44 and I think that is part of the reason that finasteride backfired on me in every single way. 9 months in on 1.25 mg I had a completely different head of hair than I started with. Huge loss of density and I started balding hard in places I had no prior problems, like midscalp, crown, even in the safe zones. Also the hair diameter was rapidly miniaturizing everywhere. After 16 months I slowly reduced dose to .5 mg and was stable for six months, hair even seemed to get slightly better.

I decided to slowly go down to .25 mg and after one week on that dose I lossed 60%+ of my hair everywhere, my nape area about four inches up basically vaporized, strangely the hardest hit areas were on the sides around my ears. These areas look like the hair of a 70 yo and this all happened in a matter of days.

Since finasteride doesn't completely eliminate all dht, I believe those losing hair on with dht, the follicles are still getting some androgenic stimulation so the follicle doesn't adjust for the lower dht levels ( AR up-regulation). Those with low dht need to be careful because the standard dose will reduce dht too much and your follicles will take notice and go into starvation mode, as I put it, and change receptor sensitivity so much that the follicles are making much more efficient use of even the lower anount of dht, so much so that it can even greatly accelerate the hair loss process and even turn non male pattern baldness hairs into male pattern baldness hair. That is exactly what it did to me. I would strongly recommend using only .25 mg. Not everyone needs the 1 mg dose amd when it backfires, like it did with me, the changes are most likely permanent. If I were to quot the drug I would be bald everywhere effectively in weeks. I have many posts and pics to show this if you search my post history.

Also wanted to add that after that last disaster the hair that didnt fall out became very fine, and again, this all happened in a couple days. My whole scalp is numb now too. It feels dead and kind of looks like scar tissue, idk, fibrosis? I experienced what was like ten years of hairloss and miniaturization basically overnight.

One more thing, this happened two years ago and nothing has grown back and my hair has gotten steadily worse but way slower. I also am still taking .5 mg a day and using min x2 daily.

Last edited:

jonnywalker93

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have really low DHT levels and finasteride works wonders for me. However, it's more likely that you suffer from side effects when your DHT is already low. You can lose hair even with very low levels as the DHT sensitivity of your hair is what really matters (and this is genetical so you cannot do anything about it). The "best" hair loss is when you don't have a high sensitivity, but high DHT levels. Taking something that suppresses DHT will still allow your body to function properly whilst having a high chance of stopping your hair loss. Unfortunately, I had to discontinue finasteride due to side effects, but it completely arrested my hair loss after 3 months.

MorningGlory

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Ignore the melodrama, broscience and guesstimated percentages above. Take finasteride if you want a chance at stopping your hair loss. Stop it if you’re one of the small percentage of people (or hypochondriacs who have an outsized internet presence) who get serious side effects.

Retinoid

My Regimen
Reaction score
finasteride destroyed my hair basically. I didn't get a dht test before starting the drug but I believe I am low dht and didn't start until age 44 and I think that is part of the reason that finasteride backfired on me in every single way. 9 months in on 1.25 mg I had a completely different head of hair than I started with. Huge loss of density and I started balding hard in places I had no prior problems, like midscalp, crown, even in the safe zones. Also the hair diameter was rapidly miniaturizing everywhere. After 16 months I slowly reduced dose to .5 mg and was stable for six months, hair even seemed to get slightly better.

I decided to slowly go down to .25 mg and after one week on that dose I lossed 60%+ of my hair everywhere, my nape area about four inches up basically vaporized, strangely the hardest hit areas were on the sides around my ears. These areas look like the hair of a 70 yo and this all happened in a matter of days.

Since finasteride doesn't completely eliminate all dht, I believe those losing hair on with dht, the follicles are still getting some androgenic stimulation so the follicle doesn't adjust for the lower dht levels ( AR up-regulation). Those with low dht need to be careful because the standard dose will reduce dht too much and your follicles will take notice and go into starvation mode, as I put it, and change receptor sensitivity so much that the follicles are making much more efficient use of even the lower anount of dht, so much so that it can even greatly accelerate the hair loss process and even turn non male pattern baldness hairs into male pattern baldness hair. That is exactly what it did to me. I would strongly recommend using only .25 mg. Not everyone needs the 1 mg dose amd when it backfires, like it did with me, the changes are most likely permanent. If I were to quot the drug I would be bald everywhere effectively in weeks. I have many posts and pics to show this if you search my post history.

Also wanted to add that after that last disaster the hair that didnt fall out became very fine, and again, this all happened in a couple days. My whole scalp is numb now too. It feels dead and kind of looks like scar tissue, idk, fibrosis? I experienced what was like ten years of hairloss and miniaturization basically overnight.

One more thing, this happened two years ago and nothing has grown back and my hair has gotten steadily worse but way slower. I also am still taking .5 mg a day and using min x2 daily.

According to your estimates from when you started Finasteride to now you lost about 80-90% of your hair (you were balding in areas and then went down to .25mg which then decreased your volume by another 60+% and for the next two years you continued to lose but still take the drug...do you have any pictures of before and after?

IncognitoMan

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! I have a script, and planning to start finasteride next week. I may update this thread with my results after a couple of months, and will follow up with another blood test to see my new levels.