Low Progesterone causes Hairloss, also interestingly, the side effects mimic Post Finasteride Syndrome Symptoms

Micky_007

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
UK

Over £300 for a 6 month supply

That is expensive, but no thaaat expensive, I mean hair is more important.

What was the reason your dermatologist suggested using Minoxidil with Progesterone? Curious to know their explanation as it might have a reason as to why the price is so high.

Micky_007

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Interesting, although I think it might be easier to just get Minoxidil 5% with Progesterone premixed into a liquid topical via a Compounding Pharmacy in your country and add Tretinoin 0.025% at a compounding pharmacy as well to enhance the absorbtion of both whilst improving the effectiveness of Minoxidil.

Oknow

My Regimen
Reaction score
That is expensive, but no thaaat expensive, I mean hair is more important.

What was the reason your dermatologist suggested using Minoxidil with Progesterone? Curious to know their explanation as it might have a reason as to why the price is so high.

regrowth and no sides

it’s nearly 1k a year on treatments

Micky_007

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
regrowth and no sides

it’s nearly 1k a year on treatments

Sounds worth it, if you do get regrowth and no sides. Anything to keep the hair follicles alive until better treatments are available that turn Vellus hairs to Terminal - that's when having kept the vellus hairs alive will make a big difference.

But if it's too expensive for you then do a Google search for a Compounding Pharmacy in your country and ask them for a quote to make you a topical solution of the exact same compounds as the topical your Dermatologist is selling, then see which is cheaper. You might get lucky with the Compounding Pharmacy pricing and would possibly even be able to add other stuff like Tretinoin 0.025% for around the same price if not less.

Oknow

My Regimen
Reaction score
Sounds worth it, if you do get regrowth and no sides. Anything to keep the hair follicles alive until better treatments are available that turn Vellus hairs to Terminal - that's when having kept the vellus hairs alive will make a big difference.

But if it's too expensive for you then do a Google search for a Compounding Pharmacy in your country and ask them for a quote to make you a topical solution of the exact same compounds as the topical your Dermatologist is selling, then see which is cheaper. You might get lucky with the Compounding Pharmacy pricing and would possibly even be able to add other stuff like Tretinoin 0.025% for around the same price if not less.
The problem is that it’s an ongoing cost and if you compare to normal minoxidil is so much more expensive

Micky_007

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The problem is that it’s an ongoing cost and if you compare to normal minoxidil is so much more expensive

Yeah but the difference is, adding progesterone is a whole different mechanism of action being targeted, so it makes sense, it's not just basic Minoxidil.

Still recommend you getting a quote from a compounding pharmacy for Minoxidil 5%, Tretinoin 0.025% and Progesterone?? %

How many % Progesterone was in your dermatologists solution?

You know Tretinoin increases the effectiveness of Minoxidil right? So there's actually no point buying your dermatologists solution which does not contain it.

kidcurry96

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Topical is said to be safer in low dose, I'm not sure how low truly is safer but I do know oral Finasteride even as low as 0.2mg has similar effects as 1mg.
I think it comes down to individual reaction on finasteride. There are apparently guys that nuke 70% of DHT on finasteride and some nuke more on dutasteride and are fine, others take even a little bit and get lots of sides sometimes even persistent side effects.

Micky_007

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think it comes down to individual reaction on finasteride. There are apparently guys that nuke 70% of DHT on finasteride and some nuke more on dutasteride and are fine, others take even a little bit and get lots of sides sometimes even persistent side effects.

Indeed.

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
it worked or
Believe me , they are not. You are not only inhibiting DHT, you are inhibiting another 8 hormones by inhibiting 5-alpha reductase. It is not healthy .

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
Progesterone is the natural finasteride plus anti aromatase in your body . So , yes, if you have low progesterone, you should have high estrogen and high DHT .
I use progestacare for men cream, everynight and go from not even measurable ( lower than 0.21ng/ml ) to 0.53 ng/ml ( limit in males is 1.22 ng/ml )

kidcurry96

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Progesterone is the natural finasteride plus anti aromatase in your body . So , yes, if you have low progesterone, you should have high estrogen and high DHT .
I use progestacare for men cream, everynight and go from not even measurable ( lower than 0.21ng/ml ) to 0.53 ng/ml ( limit in males is 1.22 ng/ml )
If it is natural finasteride, then wont it have finasteride like side effects. Does progesterone act as a 5 alpha reductase inhibitor?

Micky_007

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If it is natural finasteride, then wont it have finasteride like side effects. Does progesterone act as a 5 alpha reductase inhibitor?

I'd also like to know this @jamesbooker1975 because from my experience, even natural 5-ARI's (example: DHA, GLA are quite potent) can have similar side effects as drug type 5-ARI's like Finasteride (haven't noticed the mental side effects like with Finasteride, but sexual sides are similar with natural 5-ARI's).

Also, where do you apply your progestacare?

Last edited:

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
If you inhibit 5-alpha reductase to much it will cause side effects, not matter if you are doing natural or not
Yes, progesterone inhibit 5 alpha reductase and aromatase too.

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'd also like to know this @jamesbooker1975 because from my experience, even natural 5-ARI's (example: DHA, GLA are quite potent) can have similar side effects as drug type 5-ARI's like Finasteride (haven't noticed the mental side effects like with Finasteride, but sexual sides are similar with natural 5-ARI's).

Also, where do you apply your progestacare?
"Also, where do you apply your progestacare?"
Legs , chest , abs, etc.
Used to apply into the scalp, but I am applying already other things and was to irritate it for my scalp.

Micky_007

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If you inhibit 5-alpha reductase to much it will cause side effects, not matter if you are doing natural or not
Yes, progesterone inhibit 5 alpha reductase and aromatase too.

I completely agree with your take on 5-alpha reductase inhibitors, natural and drugs being dangerous.

Although I'm curious as to why you often recommend Dutasteride/Topical Dutasteride when Dutasteride is also a 5-α-reductase inhibitor but even more potent than Finasteride? Don't you feel even topical Dutasteride would have similar side effects as oral 5 ARI's?

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
I completely agree with your take on 5-alpha reductase inhibitors, natural and drugs being dangerous.

Although I'm curious as to why you often recommend Dutasteride/Topical Dutasteride when Dutasteride is also a 5-α-reductase inhibitor but even more potent than Finasteride? Don't you feel even topical Dutasteride would have similar side effects as oral 5 ARI's?
I never recommend topical dutasteride. incredibly and unfortunately, there are no studies to know what percentage passes into the blood when used topically. Keeping in mind that is a drugs approved in Late 2002, almost 20 years later, it is incredible.

kidcurry96

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So I think the theory is topical dutasteride may go less systematic due to its molecular weight

Micky_007

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So I think the theory is topical dutasteride may go less systematic due to its molecular weight

Usually when people are using topicals, their Microneedling as well, because sure you can use an anti androgen to potentially stop further hairloss, but people know they also need a growth stimulant to get new or thicker hair, hence they use other topicals like Minoxidil with Microneedling.

The problem arises when people are already Microneedling and now need to use Dutasteride for example, because it would go systemic.

So they are left with having to chose between stopping the Microneedling which would most often render the growth stimulant topical useless or take the topical anti-androgen (which at best would stop further hair loss - provided it does not go systemic)