Low Progesterone causes Hairloss, also interestingly, the side effects mimic Post Finasteride Syndrome Symptoms

Micky_007

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
There are factors that affect Androgenetic Alopecia like Low Progesterone and Insulin resistance.

Have a look at the side effects of Low Progesterone attached.

Also, diet is a key component to fighting hairloss. Insulin Resistance specifically is a problem. Eating sugar and carbs can result in an increase of 5AR, so eliminating sugar and eating minimal carbs, intermettant fasting, keto diet, is a good way to help reduce 5AR.

So basically some things that increase 5AR:

1) High Insulin
2) Low Progesterone

Too much DHT can cause:

1) A thickening of the dermis around the hair follicle (which suffocates the hair follicle)
2) An increase in Fibrosis (scarring which wraps around the hair)
3) Calcification around the hair Follicles

We all know that Finasteride can cause negative side effects, so looking at natural approaches to reduce 5AR are important.

Some natural remedies for treatment of Androgenetic Alopecia that inhibit 5AR:

1) Saw Palmetto
2) Zinc
3) DHA (An Omega 3 Fatty Acid)
4) GLA (A type of Fat)

NOTE: However, if you are sensitive to inhibiting 5AR, you should stay away from all 5AR inhibitors, even if they are natural as they can still have similar side effects as Finasteride.

Also, look for what natural treatments can increase low progesterone in men.

As progesterone is a hormone, there are no foods which actively contain it. However, this isn’t to say that food can’t be used to help your body increase the production of progesterone.

Some examples are:

1) Vitamin B6
2) Zinc
3) Reducing Stress
4) Getting 7 to 9 hours of sleep
5) Evening Primrose Oil
6) Vitamin C
7) Magnesium
8) L-Arginine
9) Fibre
10) Maintaining a healthy weight
11) Chasteberry

As another tip:

Check which vitamins you may be deficient in, for example low iron can cause thin hair and hairloss, although it's not a cure to Androgenetic Alopecia obviously, but treatment of Androgenetic Alopecia requires a multi-faceted approach.

That being said, exercises at a minimum of 3 to 4 times a week should be a mandatory part of your schedule to ensure your body is running optimally.

Note: Don't over exercise.

Scalp Massages and Microneedling are also an important part of any regimen to get the blood circulation going to the hair follicles and reduce calcification.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211114_155431.jpg
    Screenshot_20211114_155431.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:

altsequence

My Regimen
Reaction score
Gonna have to take a pass on the scrotal application. If locally targeting the 5AR in the scalp were an option, I'd consider that. Nuking systemic DHT consistently gets me side effects.

Micky_007

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Gonna have to take a pass on the scrotal application. If locally targeting the 5AR in the scalp were an option, I'd consider that. Nuking systemic DHT consistently gets me side effects.

I also get sides if I block DHT systemically consistently. Which is the reason I don't plan on using this everyday. I'd probably only use it every 3 to 4 days for +- 2 to 3 months max until my progesterone levels are optimum.

Oknow

My Regimen
Reaction score
My derm has a progesterone and minoxidil topical, thinking about using it, but it is far too expensive for a 6 month supply

Apparently there are no sides where people have maintained for years

kidcurry96

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
There are factors that affect Androgenetic Alopecia like Low Progesterone and Insulin resistance.

Have a look at the side effects of Low Progesterone attached.

Also, diet is a key component to fighting hairloss. Insulin Resistance specifically is a problem. Eating sugar and carbs can result in an increase of 5AR, so eliminating sugar and eating minimal carbs, intermettant fasting, keto diet, is a good way to help reduce 5AR.

So basically some things that increase 5AR:

1) High Insulin
2) Low Progesterone

Too much DHT can cause:

1) A thickening of the dermis around the hair follicle (which suffocates the hair follicle)
2) An increase in Fibrosis (scarring which wraps around the hair)
3) Calcification around the hair Follicles

We all know that Finasteride can cause negative side effects, so looking at natural approaches to reduce 5AR are important.

Some natural remedies for treatment of Androgenetic Alopecia that inhibit 5AR:

1) Saw Palmetto
2) Zinc
3) DHA (An Omega 3 Fatty Acid)
4) GLA (A type of Fat)

Also, look for what natural treatments can increase low progesterone in men.

As progesterone is a hormone, there are no foods which actively contain it. However, this isn’t to say that food can’t be used to help your body increase the production of progesterone.

Some examples are:

1) Vitamin B6
2) Zinc
3) Reducing Stress
4) Getting 7 to 9 hours of sleep
5) Evening Primrose Oil
6) Vitamin C
7) Magnesium
8) L-Arginine
9) Fibre
10) Maintaining a healthy weight
11) Chasteberry

As another tip:

Check which vitamins you may be deficient in, for example low iron can cause thin hair and hairloss, although it's not a cure to Androgenetic Alopecia obviously, but treatment of Androgenetic Alopecia requires a multi-faceted approach.

That being said, exercises at a minimum of 3 to 4 times a week should be a mandatory part of your schedule to ensure your body is running optimally.

Note: Don't over exercise.

Scalp Massages and Microneedling are also an important part of any regimen to get the blood circulation going to the hair follicles and reduce calcification.

Won't Saw Palmetto at high enough doses lead to same side effect profile?

Micky_007

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Won't Saw Palmetto at high enough doses lead to same side effect profile?

Yes it can, although not as common as Finasteride because Saw Palmetto reduces a lot less DHT.

However, if people are sensitive to inhibiting 5AR, they should stay away from all 5AR inhibitors, even if they are natural as they can still have similar side effects as Finasteride.

It's safer to prevent DHT from binding to the Hair Follicle (using Caffeine Topicals for example can do this whilst also stimulating HF's similar to Minoxidil), than reducing DHT systemically by inhibiting 5AR using anti-androgens like Finasteride.

kidcurry96

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes it can, although not as common as Finasteride because Saw Palmetto reduces a lot less DHT.

However, if people are sensitive to inhibiting 5AR, they should stay away from all 5AR inhibitors, even if they are natural as they can still have similar side effects as Finasteride.

It's safer to prevent DHT from binding to the Hair Follicle (using Caffeine Topicals for example can do this whilst also stimulating HF's similar to Minoxidil), than reducing DHT systemically by inhibiting 5AR using anti-androgens like Finasteride.
I see. I believe Saw Palmetto nukes 30 % of DHT at least that is what I read in studies. So, I am assuming lower finasteride dosage to mimic that would lead to the same but we probably do not know how much finasteride is needed to nuke that much.

Micky_007

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I see. I believe Saw Palmetto nukes 30 % of DHT at least that is what I read in studies. So, I am assuming lower finasteride dosage to mimic that would lead to the same but we probably do not know how much finasteride is needed to nuke that much.

Even very low doses of Finasteride were shown to inhibit DHT by similar amounts as 1mg, so as you said, we don't know what dose of Finasteride would be able to reduce DHT by similar levels to Saw Palmetto.

kidcurry96

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Even very low doses of Finasteride were shown to inhibit DHT by similar amounts as 1mg, so as you said, we don't know what dose of Finasteride would be able to reduce DHT by similar levels to Saw Palmetto.

Only study I could find, that too topical finasteride. 35 % inhibition with 0.5mg maximum finasteride everyday.

GabberHead

My Regimen
Reaction score
I also get sides if I block DHT systemically consistently. Which is the reason I don't plan on using this everyday. I'd probably only use it every 3 to 4 days for +- 2 to 3 months max until my progesterone levels are optimum.
Have you tested your progesterone levels? Does using the cream crash natural progesterone production? Also, would you have to keep using it to maintain optimal progesterone levels if your body naturally produces too little?

I have never tested my progesterone levels, but I also don't have the symptoms. Perhaps it could be an interesting method of countering the finasteride sides a lot of people get.

Micky_007

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My derm has a progesterone and minoxidil topical, thinking about using it, but it is far too expensive for a 6 month supply

Apparently there are no sides where people have maintained for years

Whats the price? And which country?

What information has your derm given you about Progesterone and why topical application would be beneficial for hair loss?

Micky_007

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Have you tested your progesterone levels? Does using the cream crash natural progesterone production? Also, would you have to keep using it to maintain optimal progesterone levels if your body naturally produces too little?

I have never tested my progesterone levels, but I also don't have the symptoms. Perhaps it could be an interesting method of countering the finasteride sides a lot of people get.

I don't recall if I've tested my progesterone levels, however I'm starting to think application on the scalp would be far safer than applying to the scrotum for treating a hairloss problem.

The only time applying it on the scrotum would be possibly necessary if one has the side effects I attached in the picture above, and after checking in with a medical professional as it could be risky.

But yes it could be an interesting way to potentially combat Finasteride sides. I see it added often in topicals for Hairloss as well by those who use Compounding Pharmacies.

Oknow

My Regimen
Reaction score
Whats the price? And which country?

What information has your derm given you about Progesterone and why topical application would be beneficial for hair loss?

UK

Over £300 for a 6 month supply