Low Iron Causing Hair Loss For 2 Years... Please Help Me!

Sarah Burstein

My Regimen
Reaction score
This is long, but I desperately need insight and help.

In my junior year of high school, I began to notice extreme thinning of my hair. It would fall out all day without reason for about 3 months until the point where it became noticeable to others. I went to the dermatologist for answers. He sent me to get blood work done. My iron levels were extremely low at 9 (normal is 26-170). He determined this to be the cause of my hair loss and put me on an iron supplement. At first, the treatment worked. For about 6 months my hair stopped falling out and began to grow longer and thicker again. However, in January of 2017 my hair began to fall out again. This was very disheartening for me as I thought I had solved my problem. I went to my doctor's office, got more blood work done, and learned that my iron levels were still at 9. This was strange as I had been taking a supplement for about 9 months. She increased my dosage dramatically, and I was receiving over double the daily requirement of iron.

I was optimistic and told myself things were getting better. They weren't. My hair kept falling out, and despite my insane influx of iron, my levels dropped to 5. The doctor referred me to a hematologist. Being the end of senior year (a very busy time) and starting a new job, appointments kept on being canceled. When I finally went in June of 2017 they ordered me to receive iron transfusions called Injectafer. I thought this would solve my problem. it made it exponentially worse. After 2 transfusions, my hair now falls out in clumps every time I shower. My bathroom floor and bedroom floor are covered in hair. I am getting bald spots. The hematologist thinks that my body went into a stressed state after a major treatment, and it is reacting by shedding hair.

This is traumatic for me. I am an 18 year old girl who doesn't even want to leave the house because I am so embarrassed. I dread showering and brushing my hair. I cry all the time. I am devastated and feel like I am out of options. I need help and insight since I cannot get a real answer or treatment from any doctors.

Jessica Cecil

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Sarah-
I've also battling hair loss due to low ferritin. I'm a lot older than you, 37, but when I was 16-17 I went through a period of prolonged shedding. It was devastating and ruined my entire junior/senior year. Unfortunately, the internet and research wasn't where it is today and my mom took me to a dermatologist who told me to eat more meat, which I did...looking back I think it took over a year and a half to two years to resolve naturally. My hair grew back completely, but I continued to suffer 3 more times or prolonged periods of telogen effluvian (age 26, post pardon hair loss and now). My ferritin was tested at 11 in October, got it up to 86 in march, have been taking iron, krill, multivitamins, and omegas, despite all this, I'm still shedding. I have lots of regrowth but it can't keep up with the shed. I think I'll just have to continue to wAit it out as at age 26 it took almost 2 yrs to resolve and that was without supplementing with iron!!! I'm obsessed with my hair loss...it sucks and my heart goes out to you. I have three gorgeous children, I loving and very supportive husband, but I'm still devastated by this!!! My hair looks atrocious and I'm vain. I work out constantly, am I in great shape, and I can't control the hair loss!! May I ask how much hair are you losing per day? Are you shedding short pieces or mainly long? I truly think your hair will get better, I think Thur internet gives a lot of false info about Telogen Effluvium being short lived....but I think it takes longer to resolve when you've multiple triggers, which was definitely my cause (low iron, prolonged breast feeding, very little meat consumption, stress) hang in there and let me know how you're doing.

QUOTE="Sarah Burstein, post: 1507907, member: 131511"]This is long, but I desperately need insight and help.

In my junior year of high school, I began to notice extreme thinning of my hair. It would fall out all day without reason for about 3 months until the point where it became noticeable to others. I went to the dermatologist for answers. He sent me to get blood work done. My iron levels were extremely low at 9 (normal is 26-170). He determined this to be the cause of my hair loss and put me on an iron supplement. At first, the treatment worked. For about 6 months my hair stopped falling out and began to grow longer and thicker again. However, in January of 2017 my hair began to fall out again. This was very disheartening for me as I thought I had solved my problem. I went to my doctor's office, got more blood work done, and learned that my iron levels were still at 9. This was strange as I had been taking a supplement for about 9 months. She increased my dosage dramatically, and I was receiving over double the daily requirement of iron.

I was optimistic and told myself things were getting better. They weren't. My hair kept falling out, and despite my insane influx of iron, my levels dropped to 5. The doctor referred me to a hematologist. Being the end of senior year (a very busy time) and starting a new job, appointments kept on being canceled. When I finally went in June of 2017 they ordered me to receive iron transfusions called Injectafer. I thought this would solve my problem. it made it exponentially worse. After 2 transfusions, my hair now falls out in clumps every time I shower. My bathroom floor and bedroom floor are covered in hair. I am getting bald spots. The hematologist thinks that my body went into a stressed state after a major treatment, and it is reacting by shedding hair.

This is traumatic for me. I am an 18 year old girl who doesn't even want to leave the house because I am so embarrassed. I dread showering and brushing my hair. I cry all the time. I am devastated and feel like I am out of options. I need help and insight since I cannot get a real answer or treatment from any doctors.[/QUOTE]

Sarah Burstein

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Jessica.
Thank you for sharing that you are going through this as well! Despite how truly sad it is, I am glad that someone else out there can relate as I have not yet met anyone going through the same thing. People tell me "some people have it so much worse" and to "look at the big picture." But like you, I am devastated by this. I care a lot about my appearance and feel incredibly self-conscious. No one truly understands until they go through something like this.
To answer your question, I lose clumps each day comprised of both long and short hair. I know it is not good to put your hair in a bun, but I wear it up everyday because it is the only way to hide my thinning hair and exposed scalp. However, every time I take my hair down to redo my bun or shower, an immense amount of hair comes out with it. Each time I shower it comes out in clumps as well. My brush is covered in hair, and it has gotten to the point where I don't face my mirror when I brush my hair because the extensive loss of hair is too depressing.
I really appreciate you sharing your experiences with me. It has given me great insight on this condition and what I should expect. My dermatologist told me originally that my hair loss would, in fact, be short lived. Now that you can vouch for the fact that it takes time to fix, everything I have been through makes so much more sense. If I know what to expect, it is a lot easier for me to swallow when it happens.
Thank you so much. I hope your hair loss improves as well and remains in great condition.

Hi Sarah-
I've also battling hair loss due to low ferritin. I'm a lot older than you, 37, but when I was 16-17 I went through a period of prolonged shedding. It was devastating and ruined my entire junior/senior year. Unfortunately, the internet and research wasn't where it is today and my mom took me to a dermatologist who told me to eat more meat, which I did...looking back I think it took over a year and a half to two years to resolve naturally. My hair grew back completely, but I continued to suffer 3 more times or prolonged periods of telogen effluvian (age 26, post pardon hair loss and now). My ferritin was tested at 11 in October, got it up to 86 in march, have been taking iron, krill, multivitamins, and omegas, despite all this, I'm still shedding. I have lots of regrowth but it can't keep up with the shed. I think I'll just have to continue to wAit it out as at age 26 it took almost 2 yrs to resolve and that was without supplementing with iron!!! I'm obsessed with my hair loss...it sucks and my heart goes out to you. I have three gorgeous children, I loving and very supportive husband, but I'm still devastated by this!!! My hair looks atrocious and I'm vain. I work out constantly, am I in great shape, and I can't control the hair loss!! May I ask how much hair are you losing per day? Are you shedding short pieces or mainly long? I truly think your hair will get better, I think Thur internet gives a lot of false info about Telogen Effluvium being short lived....but I think it takes longer to resolve when you've multiple triggers, which was definitely my cause (low iron, prolonged breast feeding, very little meat consumption, stress) hang in there and let me know how you're doing.

QUOTE="Sarah Burstein, post: 1507907, member: 131511"]This is long, but I desperately need insight and help.

This is traumatic for me. I am an 18 year old girl who doesn't even want to leave the house because I am so embarrassed. I dread showering and brushing my hair. I cry all the time. I am devastated and feel like I am out of options. I need help and insight since I cannot get a real answer or treatment from any doctors.
[/QUOTE]

Jessica Cecil

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Sarah,
How much iron are you supplementing with? I was taking 65mg of iron 3x a day with lysine and vitamin c. When I got my ferritin to 86 I downed my dosage to 2x a day and my ferritin fell to 70, so I am back up to 3x a day. I don't eat read meat and I am sure that doesn't help. Also, are you taking your iron on an empty stomach and not mixing with calcium or caffeine? My doctor has been completely worthless. I am at a loss of how to continue. I actually bought a $700 hair topper impulsively, but haven't been wearing it bc I am too self conscious. I hate feeling this way. Looking back on my life I have wasted so much time worrying about hair. I have also noticed that my hair seems to flare up and shed more during my period. I've tried researching this online, but can't find any correlation. I was hopeful that this would rectify soon because I got my levels up, but my part is wide and goes down the back of my head and my thinning is prevalent mostly in this area. I've read with older women this can manifest into female pattern baldness. My mom has a mass of thick hair, but my dad has been bald since as long as I can remember. Maybe I am destined to have hair loss. I have definitely noticed a major loss in hair density from my teens until now. I could deal and accept this, but I can't deal with the thinning part and constant shed. I am losing a lot of hairs that are 3-4 inches long and I have hair well past my shoulders. You are young, I think your situation will remedy. Continue to supplement, get your levels checked and eat healthy.