Low Dose Finasteride, What's Everyone's View?

skyline999

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi, I'm currently taking 0.5mg finasteride (finasteride tablet cut in two using a pill cutter) and was wondering if this would be beneficial long term?

Oscar66

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes, try it for 6 months or so, but you need to monitor with pics to see if it is really doing anything.

Obsessive

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
0.5 mg is not equivalent to 1 mg in terms of efficacy, but it is close

Btg

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What makes you say this?
It gets built up eventually , the enzymes are inhibited until they are naturally replaced , so after 3-4 doses you will reach saturation as the process of replacing them takes a couple of days

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score
So should I take 1mg? Or continue with 0.5mg? Would there be a difference with side effects at the full dose as opposed to half dose?
0.5 is a bit less effective but a bit less prone to side effects. It should be your decision based on how good 0.5 works for you.

abcdefg

Reaction score
Any amount .005 is better than not taking anything. Its certainly enough .5 to get results. I think its kind of stupid to take the normal 1mg dose. Splitting it saves you a lot of money, and its probably safer. Not as much benefit, but oh well you cant have it all

Obsessive

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So should I take 1mg? Or continue with 0.5mg? Would there be a difference with side effects at the full dose as opposed to half dose?
You should do what you are comfortable with. I started at 0.25 mg EOD then slowly graduated to 1 mg per day. I've read one account of 0.25 mg twice a week working for someone.

I admittedly didn't give 0.25 mg enough time to work, but I was starting to get glimpses of the chrome dome and decided to roll the dice. Maybe I'll regret it, but so far so good. I'm also using topical finasteride to get a localized effect, so my daily systemic exposure is >1 mg / day.

skyline999

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You should do what you are comfortable with. I started at 0.25 mg EOD then slowly graduated to 1 mg per day. I've read one account of 0.25 mg twice a week working for someone.

I admittedly didn't give 0.25 mg enough time to work, but I was starting to get glimpses of the chrome dome and decided to roll the dice. Maybe I'll regret it, but so far so good. I'm also using topical finasteride to get a localized effect, so my daily systemic exposure is >1 mg / day.

How have your results been so far? Are you using minoxidil?

skyline999

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think the 6 month mark is where we'd see improvement?

Any one else taking lose dose finasteride?

tdma

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm taking 0.5 mg/day but only 2 weeks in.
There's this famous curve where you can see serum DHT suppression in function of the daily dose. You 'll see you get somethign like 68% at 1 mg/day, 65% at 0.5 mg/day etc (I just made up these numbers but the order of magnitude is correct).

There is one thing I do not understand though. Given the side effects come from DHT suppression, and you are almost getting the same level of suppression from 0.5 mg/day as 1 mg/day, how can going from 1 mg to 0.5 mg reduce side effects? Is there any scientific background for this?