LOW DOSE DUTASTERIDE

G

Few questions to the experts.

How low dose per day can I go on dutasteride for it to be as effective or slightly better effective than 1mg finasteride every day.

Can I break the capsules and create an alcohol mix to take in liquid everyday to achieve low dose? How would you recommend this?

dut

Reaction score
HairChase said:

How low dose per day can I go on dutasteride for it to be as effective or slightly better effective than 1mg finasteride every day.

Can I break the capsules and create an alcohol mix to take in liquid everyday to achieve low dose? How would you recommend this?
There are charts (that i cant find at the mo) that suggest 1 cap of 0.5mg dutasteride per 4 days is as good as 5mg of finasteride per day but you may have to do some interpolation of the data to estimate the dosage of dutasteride required to achieve the effects of 1mg of finasteride.

As you probably know, some dutasteride studies test dosages of less than 0.5mg per day (opposed to 0.5mg every few days), but splitting dutasteride is not as easy as splitting finasteride. With the half life of dutasteride being so long (4 days even at low dosage), there is little point in trying to split it to take say 0.1mg per day. It would be like splitting finasteride into small doses to take it every few hours.

Although taking dutasteride every few days does causes a 'saw tooth' in the levels of dutasteride in the blood stream, the reaction of DHT is not so agressive, so a relatively consistent level is achieved.

G

dutasteride said:
HairChase said:

There are charts (that i cant find at the mo) that suggest 1 cap of 0.5mg dutasteride per 4 days is as good as 5mg of finasteride per day but you may have to do some interpolation of the data to estimate the dosage of dutasteride required to achieve the effects of 1mg of finasteride.

As you probably know, some dutasteride studies test dosages of less than 0.5mg per day (opposed to 0.5mg every few days), but splitting dutasteride is not as easy as splitting finasteride. With the half life of dutasteride being so long (4 days even at low dosage), there is little point in trying to split it to take say 0.1mg per day. It would be like splitting finasteride into small doses to take it every few hours.

Although taking dutasteride every few days does causes a 'saw tooth' in the levels of dutasteride in the blood stream, the reaction of DHT is not so agressive, so a relatively consistent level is achieved.

What you mean SPLIT? Have you ever seen dutasteride? It comes in a liquid capsule.

Im talking about mixing the liquid dutasteride with alcohol to preserve and take in small dose 1mL every day. Each 1mL might contain say 0.1mL of dutasteride and 0.99mL of Alcohol

dut

Reaction score
HairChase said:
dutasteride said:
HairChase said:
What you mean SPLIT? Have you ever seen dutasteride? It comes in a liquid capsule.

Im talking about mixing the liquid dutasteride with alcohol to preserve and take in small dose 1mL every day. Each 1mL might contain say 0.1mL of dutasteride and 0.99mL of Alcohol

Yes ive seen dutasteride, ive been taking it for some time and mine comes in gel capsules and that's why it's not easy to spilt like finasteride. Ive never seen a capsule made of liquid containing dutasteride.

I dont understand why you want to take a high frequency low dosage when you could take a whole cap every few days with less hassle. Do you have some evidence or something to support 0.1mg per day being better than 0.5mg every 5 days?

G

Its logic. Day 1 hormone levels won't resemble Day 5 hormone levels and this constant shift might be actually negative effect

JWM

Reaction score
You've got your dutasteride facts all backwards. Talk to Bryan about dosing 'logic.' He'll set you straight.

dut

Reaction score
HairChase said:
Its logic. Day 1 hormone levels won't resemble Day 5 hormone levels and this constant shift might be actually negative effect
You're right. Day 5 will have a lower DHT because it's had time to reduce.

Here's how the quantity of drug in the blood stream works...
Lets assume you take 0.5mg every 5 days and the half life is also 5 days. This means after 5 days you will have lost 0.25mg from the blood stream leaving 0.25mg. You then take a further 0.5 mg (0.75mg now in blood stream). At day 10 this has halved to 0.375mg. You then take a futher 0.5mg and your blood contains 0.875mg and so on.

Here's some figures (day, mg in blood just before taking drug, mg soon after taking drug)

0,0,0.5; 5,0.25,0.75; 10,0.375,0.875 ; 15,0.4375,0.9375; 20,0.46875,0.96875; 25,0.484375,0.984375; 30,0.4921875,0.9921875

It takes between 5 - 6 times the half life to achieve 99% of so called 'steady-state'
Steady-state for this regime is, approximately 13% loss of drug per day.
Day 0 (just after taking) 1mg
Day 1 0.87
Day 2 0.75
Day 3 0.66
Day 4 0.57
Day 5 0.5
Day 5 (just after taking) 1mg and the cycle repeats.

Although the level of drug in the blood follows a 'saw tooth' profile, the body reaction to the drug (in terms of DHT in the body) is much slower. The net result being the bio/chemistry plant of the body produces a relatively stable reduced level of DHT. Bryan may be able to point you towards some DHT reaction graphs. Here's one bryan posted earlier. http://www.geocities.com/bryan50001/dutasteride ... ow-res.htm Look how slowly the DHT level responds to large single doses of drug intake. The above drug regime will hardly creates a ripple in the DHT.

G

dutasteride said:
HairChase said:
You're right. Day 5 will have a lower DHT because it's had time to reduce.

Here's how the quantity of drug in the blood stream works...
Lets assume you take 0.5mg every 5 days and the half life is also 5 days. This means after 5 days you will have lost 0.25mg from the blood stream leaving 0.25mg. You then take a further 0.5 mg (0.75mg now in blood stream). At day 10 this has halved to 0.375mg. You then take a futher 0.5mg and your blood contains 0.875mg and so on.

Here's some figures (day, mg in blood just before taking drug, mg soon after taking drug)

0,0,0.5; 5,0.25,0.75; 10,0.375,0.875 ; 15,0.4375,0.9375; 20,0.46875,0.96875; 25,0.484375,0.984375; 30,0.4921875,0.9921875

It takes between 5 - 6 times the half life to achieve 99% of so called 'steady-state'
Steady-state for this regime is, approximately 13% loss of drug per day.
Day 0 (just after taking) 1mg
Day 1 0.87
Day 2 0.75
Day 3 0.66
Day 4 0.57
Day 5 0.5
Day 5 (just after taking) 1mg and the cycle repeats.

Although the level of drug in the blood follows a 'saw tooth' profile, the body reaction to the drug (in terms of DHT in the body) is much slower. The net result being the bio/chemistry plant of the body produces a relatively stable reduced level of DHT. Bryan may be able to point you towards some DHT reaction graphs. Here's one bryan posted earlier. http://www.geocities.com/bryan50001/dutasteride ... ow-res.htm Look how slowly the DHT level responds to large single doses of drug intake. The above drug regime will hardly creates a ripple in the DHT.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Well thats good news then, no f*****g around.

Cheers dutasteride!

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
HairChase said:
Will 0.5mg every 5 days inhibit 98% DHT?

Are you talking about total serum DHT? Even 0.5 mg of dutasteride EVERY day won't reduce serum DHT that much. I would expect 0.5 mg every 5 days to reduce it about as much as a daily finasteride tablet.

G

Bryan said:
HairChase said:

Are you talking about total serum DHT? Even 0.5 mg of dutasteride EVERY day won't reduce serum DHT that much. I would expect 0.5 mg every 5 days to reduce it about as much as a daily finasteride tablet.

So your saying taking 0.5mg every 5 days is as good as 1mg or 5mg a day of finasteride?

dut

Reaction score
HairChase said:

No, but why would you want to. That would require a massive 5mg per day! Ask brian for the graph.

dut

Reaction score
HairChase said:
So your saying taking 0.5mg every 5 days is as good as 1mg or 5mg a day of finasteride?
Yes. A common dose of dutasteride is twice per week to achieve results a little better than 5mg per day finasteride.
Ive been doing this twice per week for 18 months.
I have the benefit of a lab where i take a 1" square piccy every 3 months. This is blown up to the size of my pc screen and i count the hairs.
The hair gain is slowing down and my extrapolated results suggest that i will reach my max hair count at around 24 months.

G

dutasteride said:
HairChase said:
Yes. A common dose of dutasteride is twice per week to achieve results a little better than 5mg per day finasteride.
Ive been doing this twice per week for 18 months.
I have the benefit of a lab where i take a 1" square piccy every 3 months. This is blown up to the size of my pc screen and i count the hairs.
The hair gain is slowing down and my extrapolated results suggest that i will reach my max hair count at around 24 months.

When did you first start seeing results?

JWM

Reaction score

Maybe I'm misreading this. Are you saying it has or has NOT helped you at this dose? Also are you using generic or name brand Avodart?

dut

Reaction score
JWM said:

Maybe I'm misreading this. Are you saying it has or has NOT helped you at this dose? Also are you using generic or name brand Avodart?
My regime has helped. My regime in includes dutas at twice per week from inhousepharmacy.

JWM

Reaction score
Oh yeah, WHEN do you take the dutasteride? Do you do a Monday and Thursday kind of thing?

dut

Reaction score
Ive not used anything other than what's in 'view my regime' which includes minoxidil once per day. I have tried the foam but i think it's crap even if it does dry quick and is easy to apply to your hair (instead of scalp). Oh yeah i do do the monday/thursday kinda thing man!