Low Dose Daily Aspirin Reduces Topical Minoxidil Efficacy In Androgenetic Alopecia Patient

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
Really interesting new study. It also, unvelieble , why no one did the clinical trials for minoxidil sulfate and release it to the market , instead of that dumb Rogain Foam.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30226287

"Topical minoxidil is the only US FDA approved OTC drug for the treatment of androgenetic alopecia (Androgenetic Alopecia). Minoxidil is a pro-drug converted into its active form, minoxidil sulfate, by the sulfotransferase enzymes in the outer root sheath of hair follicles. Previously, we demonstrated that sulfotransferase activity in hair follicles predicts response to topical minoxidil in the treatment of Androgenetic Alopecia. In the human liver, sulfotransferase activity is significantly inhibited by salicylic acid. Low dose OTC aspirin (75mg-81mg), a derivative of salicylic acid, is used by millions of people daily for the prevention of coronary heart disease and cancer. It is not known whether oral aspirin inhibits sulfotransferase activity in hair follicles, potentially affecting minoxidil response in Androgenetic Alopecia patients. In this study, we determined the follicular sulfotransferase enzymatic activity following 14 days of oral aspirin administration. In our cohort of 24 subjects, 50% were initially predicted to be responders to minoxidil. However, following 14 days of aspirin administration, only 27% of the subjects were predicted to respond to topical minoxidil. To the best of our knowledge, this is the first study to report the effect of low dose daily aspirin use on the efficacy of topical minoxidil. This article is protected by copyright. All rights reserved."

NotInmywatch

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

thejuiceman

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This is most likely true for curcumin as well. I've noticed myself losing tons of ground during periods when I'm taking it. Studies have also shown is a potent inhibitor of salicylic acid, at least in multiple organs.

getting_back

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I can confirm this! Took 1g of Aspirin for 3 months, regrowth stopped and shedding hit me hard.

INT

Reaction score
Interesting. If I may ask:

1) For how long?
2) Any results so far?
3) Any side effects so far?

Thanks!

BetaBoy

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Interesting. If I may ask:

1) For how long?
2) Any results so far?
3) Any side effects so far?

Thanks!

1) On and off it really, was on it for about 2 months last year but dropped it, only recently (past month) have I started using it again.
2) Not really noticed anything in the way of regrowth whilst on it, I have however noticed regrowth whilst I was on oral E2.
3) None. However, oral E2 becomes intolerable after about a month or two (chest pain) for me but I've noticed none of those sides whilst using AF.

BetaBoy

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

INT

Reaction score
1) On and off it really, was on it for about 2 months last year but dropped it, only recently (past month) have I started using it again.
2) Not really noticed anything in the way of regrowth whilst on it, I have however noticed regrowth whilst I was on oral E2.
3) None. However, oral E2 becomes intolerable after about a month or two (chest pain) for me but I've noticed none of those sides whilst using AF.

Also no drop in shedding in those 2 months? How often did you apply it?

Thanks again! I am about to start alpicort myself.

Capone

My Regimen
Reaction score
I thought Aspirin and Curcumin were good for hair and inflammation!

BetaBoy

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I thought Aspirin and Curcumin were good for hair and inflammation!

Inflammation certainly is a device that exacerbates the androgenic response and so reducing it can only be a good thing. This study simply says that aspirin/SA interferes with the function of the sulfotransferase enzymes, so those using Minoxidil may see reduced efficacy.

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
Inflammation certainly is a device that exacerbates the androgenic response and so reducing it can only be a good thing. This study simply says that aspirin/SA interferes with the function of the sulfotransferase enzymes, so those using Minoxidil may see reduced efficacy.

Well, not entirely . We will know for sure when Fevipiprant hit the market ( 2020 ) , but PDG2 is what actually cause baldness ( search for the study on 2012 ) . DHT just started the process . But, you also have good Prostaglandines, like PGE ( may be that is how minoxidil works ) .