Losing weight tips thread

hairwegoagain

Reaction score
IBM said:
I dont have Hi5.com. I've +- 1.72m.

No, I meant HIV - the "High 5." Being 5'8" and 108 lbs is grossly underweight...like someone with a severe illness. Suggest you see a doctor to get on a more healthful track.

CCS

Reaction score
maybe IBM has starvation induced hair loss. he could cure himself just by eating more.

G

IBM you are starting to freak me out dude. Go see a Doctor and start eating.

CCS

Reaction score
Slartibartfast said:
IBM, whilst moderating your portion size and resisting the temptation to snack between meals are important, albeit obvious, steps towards weight loss...
Slarti

eating between meals is only bad if the meals contain all the calories you will burn for the day. But I think the snacks are not bad, but rather the meals are bad. It is better to eat several large snacks throughout the day, 250 to 350 calories each, including most food groups.

don't drink soda. I eat fruit and penuts and oatmeal and a can of beans here and there throughout the day, and i never gain fat. I eat when I want, BEFORE I get hungry, so I can plan my meals and not eat on impulse. It takes 15 minutes for the hunger signal to go away, even if you are full. I don't believe in filling my belley. Smaller meals mean smaller stomach capacity.

starving may work for some people, but i prefer to stay at 2400 calories and just exercise.

Slartibartfast

Reaction score
collegechemistrystudent said:
eating between meals is only bad if the meals contain all the calories you will burn for the day.
Going by what I see some eat, I would say that their meals contain all the calories they need for the day and then some.

But I think the snacks are not bad, but rather the meals are bad.
That depends on the snacks, in my experience people go for crisps/chocolate/soda etc as a quick fix, and this is in addition to over-sized portions at meal-time - and I don't mean a really big bowl of salad.

It is better to eat several large snacks throughout the day, 250 to 350 calories each, including most food groups.
The ideal from a weight loss perspective might well be 4 or 5 small meals a day, but the reality is that people have time for, or just prefer to eat, three square meals. Getting people to change the composition of their meals and refrain from stuffing down choc bars in between is going to be easier than having them fit several large snacks into a work day - and that means they are more likely to stick to it.

starving may work for some people, but i prefer to stay at 2400 calories and just exercise.
Pretty sure it was IBM advocating a starving yourself till lunch approach, I'm with the it's important to have a nutritious breakfast brigade. I'm not planning on counting calories, but I'm interested to know how many some of my home-cooked meals have, is there an easy way for me to calculate this?

Slarti

CCS

Reaction score
Slartibartfast said:
The ideal from a weight loss perspective might well be 4 or 5 small meals a day, but the reality is that people have time for, or just prefer to eat, three square meals. Getting people to change the composition of their meals and refrain from stuffing down choc bars in between is going to be easier than having them fit several large snacks into a work day - and that means they are more likely to stick to it.

yeah, most people are not likely to do a lot of healthy stuff, like working out. getting them to avoid soda would be good.

hairwegoagain

Reaction score
Slarti - check out calorieking.com . For your home-cooked meals, you can type in each ingredient and at least get a rough idea.

Follically Challenged

Experienced Member
Reaction score
And here i thought IBM was that fatass in his display pic. IBM, you should be a midget if u are that weight.

JayMan, i've heard calcium leads to weight loss. I take a couple 500mg pills of calcium a day, and a couple vitamin D3 pills..not sure what miligram.

I eat like a pig and am not fat. I am not skinny either but i don't exercise at all. I think the calcium pills do help.

CCS

Reaction score
I'm 5' 7.5", 150 pounds, 30 inch waist, 13 inch arms. I eat about 2400 calories a day.

G

Cool. I'm 6'0 and weigh 170lbs. I probably eat around 2500 calories a day too.

Slartibartfast

Reaction score
hairwegoagain said:
Slarti - check out calorieking.com . For your home-cooked meals, you can type in each ingredient and at least get a rough idea.
Thanks man, just the sort of thing I was after. Though perhaps I could've done without knowing that each (admittedly generous) slice of this chocolate cake I make contains 500+ calories.

As we're sharing: 5'10", 13 stone (182lbs), 32" waist and I'd guesstimate between 2500 and 3000 calories a day - depending on cake consumption!

Slarti

s.a.f

Reaction score
IBM said:
badasshairday said:
Dude IBM you are 5'8 and only 108lbs! WTF?!

I'm feeling better with myself with my weight. I already had more 24 pounds and i was more miserable. I was with a fat face and i was looking like a monkey by seeing some mobile phone photos.

I'm concerned about IBM I think that he has Body dismorphia disorder. :freaked2:
Then again maybe we all have just a little bit. :hairy:

s.a.f

Reaction score
IBM its good that you want to look after yourself, stay in shape and try to improve your appearance. But if it gets to the point where you are making yourself miserable because you are getting to concerned on your bad points then it has gone too far.
Nobody is perfect and we all have our flaws in our appearance but there is only so much that you can do. You have to play the cards that you have been dealt. Try to concentrate on your good features and look at yourself compared to the average guy not Brad Pitt.