Losing hairline due to propecia?

hairrific

Established Member
Reaction score
pproctor said:
Finasteride definitely does cause paradoxical reflex hyperandrogenicity in some persons. This seems to be caused by a combination of increased testosterone levels, plus increased tissue sensitivity to androgens.

The latter seems to primarily be due to roughly a doubling of androgen receptors, although other effects such as increased cellular androgen transport are known for antiandrogen treatment of prostate cancer and cannot be ruled out.

In theory at least, this could cause exacerbation of balding. However, in my opinion finasteride-induced exacerbation of balding is unlikely unless accompanied by other hyperandrogenic symptoms.

These include (e.g.) increased skin and scalp oiliness, acne, increased libido, etc. This is because finasteride "protects" hair follicles relative to other tissues. However, this is a very complicated system with all sorts of feedback loops. So you never know for sure.

Peter H. Proctor, PhD,MD

In this situation is there any thing one can try to counter act the effects of reflex hyperandrogenicity besides quiting finasteride?

KeyserSoza

Established Member
Reaction score
also on top of the dramatic shedding, increased libbido and oily scalp ive just noticed if i pull lightly on my hair serval come out with white little bulb things on them......

Is this normal or does this sound like what your talking about?

I also experince a weird sensation on my scalp esp around the temple area....its like i can feel hairs falling out, this maybe just in my head but ican defintely feel a sensation like something is lightly touching my head, very weird.

As above can you combat this or do you have to get off the drug? If i stay on this for 6 months to see if it gets better and it doesnt, will i regrow whats lost if it is this?

luke 21:18

Reaction score
KeyserSoza said:
also on top of the dramatic shedding, increased libbido and oily scalp ive just noticed if i pull lightly on my hair serval come out with white little bulb things on them......

Is this normal or does this sound like what your talking about?

I also experince a weird sensation on my scalp esp around the temple area....its like i can feel hairs falling out, this maybe just in my head but ican defintely feel a sensation like something is lightly touching my head, very weird.

As above can you combat this or do you have to get off the drug? If i stay on this for 6 months to see if it gets better and it doesnt, will i regrow whats lost if it is this?

I feel ya, i'm experiencing the same type of hair loss as in regards to the white bulbs on the end, it's hard to say if the hair was going to fall out on or off Propecia, I just know that the drug has not at all helped. It has not regrown or maintain. Propecia=Fail

legion00

Reaction score
Bryan said:
billythekid said:
testosterone levels usually spike when first using propecia but level off eventually.

In any event, there's no reason to think that the slightly elevated testosterone would ever "level off". Not as long as you keep taking the finasteride.

that is great news. pretty much all my sides, from finasteride anyway, have been positive. and i attribute all of them to the boost in testosterone.

KeyserSoza

Established Member
Reaction score
So just had some blood work done....

it says my androgens/testosterone levels and everything is completely normal.

So to anyone who knows about these things, does that mean i cant be suffering from hyperandogenocity?

Wuffer

Experienced Member
Reaction score
You guys are just speculating based on knowledge gained from questionable sources. The fact is that nobody knows the whole story behind MBP; even scientists and doctors with masters degrees possessing intricate understanding of the human body don't know exactly why it happens. All of this speculation is rather pointless, and the best that we have right now are results from an FDA trial that prove this drug works for almost everyone. It seems that alot of you really obsess over your hair loss and the stress and anxiety may be causing you to believe things that aren't really happening.

The human body is rediculously complicated; anyone that has ever taken university level biology or chemisty can agree!

I think that if everyone took the drug for a year, took the proper 1-1.25mg dose daily, and then evaluated the results, we would have a lot more satisfied customers on this forum.

abcdefg

Reaction score
Its kind of funny how little we really know about almost all this. Why does guy A regrow a bunch of hair on propecia while guy B keeps losing, and guy C it simply stops all hair loss? I mean no one has a clue why it effects people differently. We could guess maybe its the androgen receptor expression or something but there isnt any real science on how it works.

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Is there a thread on hair analysis?

Meaning what the different types of shed hair might mean at what stage of growth?