Losing hair again after almost a year of growth.

hairislife

Reaction score
Hi Folks! I am 24 years old. I started experiencing hair loss a year ago. I started taking finastride 1 mg and applying minoxidil 5% at night. Sometimes I would miss my dose. I shed hair for 3-4 months after which I experienced good growth. I started growing hair longer because that has always been a dream of mine. A month ago I bought a product named Livon Hair gain which is supposed to increase hair growth soon. I also got a Himalaya hair cream. I applied the duo every day until I started experiencing hair loss again. I have stopped applying both now. I only minoxidil every night. I am losing hair slowly again. What could be the reason. I am very much scared. Please help me. Is it something that happens like after a year of taking finasteride. Is it something unusual? Should I increase the strength of my medications? Please any help would be much appreciated.

bwaters2000

Reaction score
Not too sound pesimistic, but this is one of the reaons why I'm very hesitant about starting finasteride. My feeling is that the doctor or pharaceutical will blame Livon Hair gain and Hilmalyan cream for your regression. Have you consulted a doctor?

WillNotLetItHappen

Established Member
Reaction score
hairislife said:
Hi Folks! I am 24 years old. I started experiencing hair loss a year ago. I started taking finastride 1 mg and applying minoxidil 5% at night. Sometimes I would miss my dose. I shed hair for 3-4 months after which I experienced good growth. I started growing hair longer because that has always been a dream of mine. A month ago I bought a product named Livon Hair gain which is supposed to increase hair growth soon. I also got a Himalaya hair cream. I applied the duo every day until I started experiencing hair loss again. I have stopped applying both now. I only minoxidil every night. I am losing hair slowly again. What could be the reason. I am very much scared. Please help me. Is it something that happens like after a year of taking finasteride. Is it something unusual? Should I increase the strength of my medications? Please any help would be much appreciated.

Are you losing ground? How much hair are you losing?

WillNotLetItHappen

Established Member
Reaction score
bwaters2000 said:
Not too sound pesimistic, but this is one of the reaons why I'm very hesitant about starting finasteride.

Yes that is very smart. Then you can be sure that the hair you are losing will not come back better.

On finasteride there is a very very high chance you get to keep what you got. Make sense?

bwaters2000

Reaction score
Yes that is very smart. Then you can be sure that the hair you are losing will not come back better.

On finasteride there is a very very high chance you get to keep what you got. Make sense?

Thanks for your smart sarcasm. Sure, it makes sense only if you're certain you have male pattern baldness that is progressing. You yourself posted that "It's the same here...still lose 120-150 hairs daily. Today 180..
Not looking better in the back either. I don't know what to make of it but I'm starting to panic too. What if finasteride is not effective enough to halt my loss?" on July 2nd.

finasteride may work for some, but it will not work for all, and even if it works, it may not work for life. The risk of side effects is suppose to be low, at least according to Merck, but there are anecdotal chances of getting your genital and testicles shrunk, and getting to wear a bra.

However, at this point in time, we don't have much viable options other than finasteride or minoxidil or Surgery so if you think finasteride is the best option, please by all means help yourself.

B

Beingbaldsucksass

Again with the lie of the genitals shrinking? Just because you read it on a pile of **** the daily fail with some idiot blaming finasteride for his little dick and it's a known fact now?

bwaters2000

Reaction score
Again with the lie of the genitals shrinking? Just because you read it on a pile of **** the daily fail with some idiot blaming finasteride for his little dick and it's a known fact now?
You are reading between the lines and going too far. If you can read English, where in the hell did I ever post getting a little dick is a know fact (as you put it) of taking finasteride???? I merely responded to WillNotLetItHappen's sarcasm towards my stance toward finasteride with my opinion and my observation about finasteride users, and you attack me by calling me an idiot with a little dick???? Sigh.....

Think whatever the hell you want. You have the right to your opinion and observation just as I do. I just don't want to turn this thread into a battleground by calling you something worse than an idiot with a little dick.

Just go on with your treatment and your life.

WillNotLetItHappen

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your smart sarcasm. Sure, it makes sense only if you're certain you have male pattern baldness that is progressing. You yourself posted that "It's the same here...still lose 120-150 hairs daily. Today 180..
Not looking better in the back either. I don't know what to make of it but I'm starting to panic too. What if finasteride is not effective enough to halt my loss?" on July 2nd.

finasteride may work for some, but it will not work for all, and even if it works, it may not work for life. The risk of side effects is suppose to be low, at least according to Merck, but there are anecdotal chances of getting your genital and testicles shrunk, and getting to wear a bra.

However, at this point in time, we don't have much viable options other than finasteride or minoxidil or Surgery so if you think finasteride is the best option, please by all means help yourself.

Well, forgive me for my sarcasm, but honestly what do you expect? You seem to have read a lot and also understand and know the treatments. You say (if I understand correctly) you are worried to start finasteride because after one year you may lose ground like the OP? Honestly? Aren't you much more worried where you will be in a year's time when you don't take any treatments? After all, that's why you're here I assume. My reply may have been sarcastic but honest at the same time. When you do not take anything the hair you shed will be miniturized in male pattern baldness areas. When you take finasteride you will shed hair too, but there is a high chance it will come back stronger. Which one worries you more?

I'm not even going to start with the shrunk genitals and the breast growing. If you believe that stuff will happen and it makes you worried, do yourself a favor and don't start finasteride. I'm not advocating finasteride. Not at all! Do as you wish, there is a risk you have to decide for yourself. If you don't take finasteride I respect you and respect your decision. It may be the better decision. Just don't refrain from taking it for the wrong reasons.

Now for my story: yes, I'm (like almost anyone) worried. I'm keeping a diary here and I'm venting and whining. Shedding is difficult but I'm not losing ground (I think). I just have to get it out of my system and on to this forum because there are people here that have similar experiences.

As regards the OP story: I don't understand fully, but if he quit finasteride and went on some snake oil, well...

Benjamin36

Established Member
Reaction score
It's sort of funny to hear every guy going on about the side effects when there are drugs we use without question which have some scary side effects too.

Just look at Aspirin:

Check with your doctor as soon as possible if any of the following side effects occur:

• bruising more easily
  • confusion
  • dizziness
  • fainting
  • nausea or vomiting
  • pain, buzzing or ringing in ears
  • severe or continuing abdominal or stomach pain, cramping, or burning
  • unusual tiredness or weakness

Stop taking the medication and seek immediate medical attention if any of the following occur:

• any loss of hearing
  • bleeding
  • signs of stomach bleeding, such as bloody or black, tarry stools
  • swelling of the mouth and throat
  • symptoms of an allergic reaction, e.g.:
    • difficulty breathing
    • hives
    • itchy skin rash

zeroes

Experienced Member
Reaction score
None of those sides are permanent to the best of knowledge. A lot of those are minor sides. Considering how many people use Aspirin I am not aware of aspirinhelp.com exist.

WillNotLetItHappen

Established Member
Reaction score
I think the problem is, that it interferes with hormones that affect your sexual function. This is at the core of what we are - men. Having problems in that department can make the strongest man weak. If it was abdominal pain or headache that we get from finasteride, I think propeciahelp wouldn't exist.

Benjamin36

Established Member
Reaction score
The point I was trying to make (although unsuccessfully) was that there are things people take sometimes daily which have side effects, but I'll bet most people have no idea about them. I think part of the problem is, while I of course believe people do in fact experience side effects, that some of them can be psychological.

People read about other member's experiences and they start believing they are feeling the same and then it is downhill from there. The brain is extremely powerful, and if you start to believe you are having side effects you eventually will.

In the Propecia trials even those who were given a placebo experienced side effects, in some cases even more so. Likely because they were told about the possible side effects and then there brain took over.

WillNotLetItHappen

Established Member
Reaction score
I think you made a good point and it came across to those trying to understand it. I tried to add to that, in that I think sides that affect your sexual function are worse than side effects that affect other things. Not necessarily medically but people much rather live with an upset stomach than an upset dick.