Losing Ground After 6 Years Of Success

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
Hey all, for starters I am 28.

I started to shed back in 2009 when I was 20. I had the "male pattern baldness itch" and it was awful. I eventually bit the bullet and went on finasteride. It made the itch stop, thickened my hair overall, and slowed or stopped my hairline from receding. I also used minoxidil but that was out of fear. It seemed to help my weakest side when I used it regularly.

I tried Dutasteride after a year and a half, and it seemed to work fine, if not better, for the next few years. I also ordered finasteride a few times when I was cash strapped and I saw no difference in the two.

Back in late 2015 or early 2016 I noticed my left side of my hairline was receding worse. It hasn't stopped, it has continued to slowly get worse over the next year. I basically fill it in with Toppik and don't cut my hair as short. It definitely looks OK but I can't cover that up for much longer.

Any idea on finasteride or dutasteride stopping working after so long?? I also wondered if it was because I got a little irregular with my minoxidil use, but I straightened that up and it hasn't made a difference.

It's driving me crazy. I wondered if it was a reaction to dutasteride but after so long of no reaction??

I've been such a great responder for so long.

jetlife1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hard to give advice without pictures, but maybe it is the irregular minoxidil use and you need to give it more time? I also don't think switching between finasteride and dutasteride is wise. You should pick one and stick with it. It sounds like you are still above baseline, but pictures would help us help you.

Realhairloss

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am having a similar experience. I have been on finistride for 6 years. In the last year I switch the brand on generic and have found I have shed a lot from time to time. Where as I hadn't really had any shedding previously. I started rogaine once daily 2 years ago. And I have started to lose a lot of ground on my left temple. I feel the change in brand has been the down fall. Inconsistency and change just like with anything can be the deciding factor in whether a program will work. Maybe stick to just finistride and see how it goes or add something to help a bit like LLLt or dermarolling with rogaine.

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
ok, so finasteride maintained your crown well ? you didn't used minoxidil on your crown ?