Losing friends over hairloss

shootingguard

Established Member
Reaction score
One of my friends (a pretty good one actually) was making fun of my hair loss behind my back, and I told him I don't want to chill with him anymore since that was such a b**ch move, didn't even bother waiting for his response (this was on MSN, blocked/deleted him right after). I never made fun of his shortcomings (no pun intended, because he's about 5'3), and even tried to make him feel better about it since he brought it up a lot.

I don't really care about losing a friend, but I'm so self-conscious over my hair loss that I now feel like sh*t. I don't think there's one part of my life that my hair hasn't affected.

cruz

Reaction score
shootingguard said:
One of my friends (a pretty good one actually) was making fun of my hair loss behind my back

Are we talking light-hearted banter here? What did he say exactly?

shootingguard

Established Member
Reaction score
I know it sounds childish, but it really bothers me...and it wasn't light-hearted banter either, it must have been with intent to be an a**h**.

And by the way, I'm graduating uni this year...it doesn't matter how old you are to feel like sh*t when someone makes fun of something that means a lot to you.

Mens Rea

Reaction score
depends on the situation mate

i mean - i understand its a sensitve topic and i wouldn't appreciate anyone making real fun of me behind my back either. a common to my face - a joking one - wouldnt bother me that much because you have to realise that guys without hairloss wouldnt really expect you to take it badly in the frist place and there is usually no bad intent.

as i say though, behind the back is low but was it a passing comment or outright slander? if the latter then you're probably in the right but its really a no win situation is it?

spinner2

Established Member
Reaction score
Don't even waste your time thinking about this. If this guy makes fun of people behind their backs then he's probably f**cked in the head anyways. What this means is you'll probably drift away from this person in time, no matter what actions you take.

I've had friends like this. Now all they do is sit around playing video games, smoking pot, and complaining, while I'm out playing sports and partying. You've got to surround yourself with people you respect since they have an affect on what kind of person you become.

ClayShaw

Experienced Member
Reaction score
spinner2 said:
Don't even waste your time thinking about this. If this guy makes fun of people behind their backs then he's probably f**cked in the head anyways. What this means is you'll probably drift away from this person in time, no matter what actions you take.

I've had friends like this. Now all they do is sit around playing video games, smoking pot, and complaining, while I'm out playing sports and partying. You've got to surround yourself with people you respect since they have an affect on what kind of person you become.

Are you and I friends??

follicle84

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hairloss can make people emotional at least at first. I woudnt take it too much to heart. Your friend was being childish but insensitive nether the less. You shouldnt have shut him out that way but at least you know now that he isn't a true friend.

Quantum Cat

Reaction score
next time you see this guy be friendly to him. discuss male pattern baldness and tell him he's lucky he doesn't have it. Then look at his head and act surprised: 'oh... maybe you do... I can see some thinning around the crown area. I think.... or maybe it's just the light.'

Then he'll be paranoid and start seeing every hair that falls out in the shower as a sign that he might be balding. Revenge is sweet. :devil:

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
This story is a testament to how powerful the stigma against bald people really is...so much so that friends are lost over it. It is a shame that someone who you have known for such a long time chooses the status quo over you because of hair loss. It says alot I think.