Losing a beer belly

HughJass

Reaction score
^^^^ I concur.

Wheat eaters: fatter with fewer calories

wheat_weight1.jpg

Here’s some more weirdness. In both China Study I and II, wheat is the strongest positive predictor of body weight (r = 0.65, p<0.001) out of any diet variable. And it’s not just because wheat eaters are taller, either, because wheat consumption also strongly correlates with body mass index (r = 0.58, p<0.001):

wheat_bmi1.jpg

How odd! This aligns with a post Stephan Guyenet at Whole Health Source wrote about wheat consumption and obesity in China, speculating that wheat might wreak metabolic havoc wherever it goes—a trend that becomes apparent when comparing similar populations of wheat eaters and non-wheat eaters, such as in China. But perhaps there’s some confounding going on. What about calorie intake? Are the wheat eaters just scarfing down more food in general, leading to higher weight regardless of wheat consumption? Doesn’t look like it. Running wheat and calorie intake together as predictors with BMI as the outcome, wheat takes the weight-gaining gold:

http://rawfoodsos.com/2010/09/02/the-ch ... ase-oh-my/

http://rawfoodsos.com/2010/12/15/new-ch ... eight-gai/

powersam

Reaction score
Arrow said:
Agree with cutting out wheat to drop the pounds. Seems to work for me. I have read though that this idea not not always work for everyone. If that turns out to be the case, recall this article on other ideas worth looking at.

"I eliminated wheat—and I didn’t lose weight!"

http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2011/10/i ... se-weight/

The article itself even shows why. Too much sugar, too many other carbs.

If you give up wheat put still eat 5 pounds of potato each day, washed down with 5 litres of pepsi, don't be surprised when you don't lose weight.

waldo

Reaction score
-go to the gym every even day,
-do 45 minutes of cardio every uneven day,
-count calories, eat at a 300-400 calory deficit
this means eat 300-400 calories below your daily maintenance
to calculate your daily maintenance google "calory calculator bodybuilding"
-keep in mind lifting weights and doing 45 minutes of cardio will already burn
200-400 calories, so eat maintenance level calories when you do gym/cardio
and eat at a deficit on days where you decide not to lift/run
-make sure to get plenty of protein (40% of your calories)
-dont neglect fat, but eat little of it and high quality fat (fishoil)
-sleep well (8+ hours a night)

you will start seeing results after 1 month. dedication is everything.

powersam

Reaction score
waldo said:
-go to the gym every even day,
-do 45 minutes of cardio every uneven day,
-count calories, eat at a 300-400 calory deficit
this means eat 300-400 calories below your daily maintenance
to calculate your daily maintenance google "calory calculator bodybuilding"
-keep in mind lifting weights and doing 45 minutes of cardio will already burn
200-400 calories, so eat maintenance level calories when you do gym/cardio
and eat at a deficit on days where you decide not to lift/run
-make sure to get plenty of protein (40% of your calories)
-dont neglect fat, but eat little of it and high quality fat (fishoil)
-sleep well (8+ hours a night)

you will start seeing results after 1 month. dedication is everything.

Dude you are way behind on like everything. Really, everything.

Solid state sucks, HIIT or heavy lifting can help, but exercise is not the best way to lose weight.

Calorie counting does not work either, it only works in the short term and can never work in the long term, especially not comfortably.

Fat does not make you fat. In fact it is the only thing you can eat that won't make you fat (unless you eat it with a lot of carbs). Carbs and protein are insulinogenic, fat is not.

If you want to lose weight, give up grains, legumes, dairy and tubers. Then lift weights and get the majority of your calories from fatty meat. Count your carbs, that is what controls your weight. Less fruit, more weight loss.

On off days do some high impact stuff like tabata.

HughJass

Reaction score
remember to nix the vegetable oils too- canola, sunflower, safflower, corn, rapeseed, soy etc They can make you really fat:

In the late 1940s, chemical toxins were used to suppress the thyroid function of pigs, to make them get fatter while consuming less food. When that was found to be carcinogenic, it was then found that corn and soy beans (rich in polyunsaturateds) had the same antithyroid effect, causing the animals to be fattened at low cost.
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/un ... oils.shtml

And don't eat the fat off pork or chicken. It's effectively just vegetable oil. Beef ,lamb and dairy fats are all good. Ray Peat says calcium plays an anti-obesity role.

Coconut oil (get the refined one) boosts metabolism and can help you lose weight. A good couple of tablespoons a day will speed weight loss up.

powersam

Reaction score
Grain fed animal fat tends to have a pretty bad omega 3 to 6 ratio though. Grass fed is the way to go.

powersam

Reaction score
Eaten quite a bit of kangaroo and a goanna once.

A fair amount of feral deer and hog too.

powersam

Reaction score
aussieavodart said:
how was the hog?

Awesome, lots more flavour than supermarket stuff. Although Aus meat is pretty good in that regard across the board, even the supermarket stuff is mostly grass fed.

Reaction score
Fundi said:
I'm generally fairly toned/slim....but have a beer belly.

I am vegetarian, and generally eat healthy (rarely eat fast food) but eat so damn much and drink a lot. Furthermore, as a vegetarian, my staple foods, potatoes, rice and pasta are full of carbs.

-So I'm going to gym twice a week
-Eating less for breakfast and lunch with minimal carbs
-Taking Phrase 2 'Carb Minder' tablets before dinner which apparently prevent absorbtion of up to 66% of carbs.
-No more unhealthy snacks, crisps, sweets etc.

Is there anything else I can do, or any foods to avoid?

Thanks

Give your efforts some time. How long have you been adhering to this regimen?
If you've been doing this for a while, there might be something wrong here....

when you go to the gym, how many hours do you usually stay? Mild? Moderate? Rigorous exercise?

Also, I don't think eating less for breakfast is a good idea... just my thoughts. :)

abcdefg

Reaction score
Eat better and exercise more not really much else to do. I can never understand the tons of people that get all these diets and stuff I mean its just common sense what to do. Its more a matter of caring enough to actually do it which is most people problem. Losing weight = consume less then expended calories per day. Make muscle = lean protein and cut fats, carbs, all that stuff.

virtuality

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been drinking too much lately and I do have a small beer belly. It's got to the point that I got annoyed with it. For the last 3 week I've been going to the gym every single day. One day I do weights and next cardio. The change is very slow but the belly is slowly getting under control.

The worst thing is, I love drinking beer in the evenings, especially in hot summer evenings. In June I must have had 3-4 beer almost every single night. Since I started making the effort, I've cut down. Now I have 2 beers every other night.

I know if I'm to succeed in my quest to lose all the fat, I have to cut down the beer even further but I don't really want to make that sacrifice, so instead I get on the treadmill and burn 500kcals in one session...

Mr White

Established Member
Reaction score
Same thing here.

I'm 36 and I now have this big belly that I really hate. It looks awful.

I don't drink any beer, no sodas either but I need to improve my diet. My biggest problem is stress, though. My job is terribly stressful and this has a huge impact on weight and general health.

Mr White

Established Member
Reaction score
This guy seems to know what he's talking about:

http://www.sixpackshortcuts.com/

Mike quotes several studies and MDs and the 'afterburn' concept makes total sense to me.

His views on cardio were surprising, though. I always thought that cardio (e.g. treadmill, stationary bike) was the best way to burn fat but he says it's not good enough (very little afterburn effect).