L'Oreals research blames excess Collagen for baldness.......

michael barry

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I visited L'Oreal's website (loreal.com) and read about their research into baldness. They tracked balding men at European hospitals and found that the balding guys had more collagen built up around miniaturizing follicles than the non-balders. They had pictures of excess collagen surrounding the epithleal layers of a smaller follicle and showed them squeezing it tighter than a regular follicle.
L'Oreal claims to have looked at 150 different molecules and settled on one called AMINEXIL as the one that could slow collagen production. They market a product in Europe that is not available here under that name and one of L'Oreal's subsidiary names (for example Garnier Fructis shampoos are made by L'Oreal, but they are marketed toward 20-35 yr. olds).

The site can be navigated toward technological breaktrhougs or the explicit web page (if I type it right) was loreal.com/_en/_ww/research/innovations/aminexil.aspx?

Kevin McElwee, moderator of Keratin.com and big time hairloss researcher (he's some kind of genetic engineer-superscientist dude), believes L'Oreal is wrong about this.

I personally believe that its just another physical expression in the very complex phenomenon of male pattern baldness, much like overproduction of super-oxides or excess sebum production or inflammation. However, seeing that picture of that squeezed miniaturizing hair brought S.Foote's hydrolic theory to my mind. Have a great eve guys.......

S Foote.

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Re: L'Oreals research blames excess Collagen for baldness...

michael barry said:
I personally believe that its just another physical expression in the very complex phenomenon of male pattern baldness, much like overproduction of super-oxides or excess sebum production or inflammation. However, seeing that picture of that squeezed miniaturizing hair brought S.Foote's hydrolic theory to my mind. Have a great eve guys.......

I agree that this, or increased fibrosis around follicles is `down the line' a bit from the original miniaturisation process. I would add as i point out to people, that the conditions in the balding scalp, including increased fibrosis, are known to be associated with increased tissue fluid levels.

http://www.lymphoedema.org.au/

But it is good to see the larger players moving away from the preconceptions of the last 60 years, and getting involved in researching more original ideas!

S Foote.

gonna_win

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Lo'real is a big greedy corporation like Nike and Mcdonalds, beware!!! Although this does not disprove the claim. Let's hope they are doing research properly and that it may lead to a cure soon.

sam-

Established Member
Reaction score
From the link:
Clinical tests in three European hospitals showed that Aminexil increases the number of growing hair 8% more than a placebo over a six week period. This means it can contribute to preservation of existing growth.

THAT IS TOO LOW.......
:adminfinger:

iamnaked

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yeah. 8% doesn't mean sh*t. Not statistically significant IMO.

Moreover, L'Oreal's marketing hardly inspires me with confidence when they pump out products with pseudoscientific names like 'Boswelox' and are always talking meaningless bollocks about 'phyto-complexes' and 'nutrileum liposomes' whatever they mean. I quite like that Vive for men, though.

michael barry

Reaction score
I agree with you guys about the 8% improvement over a six week period. Why on earth didnt L'Oreal take the test onto several months later? Telogen can last up to two to six months. I'd say about 6-8 months is the time to REALLY test a product. Im pretty sure extra gunky hardening telogen is present in male pattern baldness, but it damn sure aint the only reason.

Maybe some of you guys feel different, but I'd be willing to just see science come up with a "trick" cure that just kept the keratinocytes in the dermal papilla "firing" all the time. We can deal with inflammation with other stuff (Nizoral, Emu Oil, tricomin), we can deal with excess sebum with other stuff (joboba oil, daily shampooing), but if we cant keep that demal papilla shooting keratin cells together...........were screwed

iamnaked

Experienced Member
Reaction score
If memory serves me correctly science came up with exactly such a cure - a kind of genoidal switch, which was found to work extremely well on mice, growing them lush thick coats. The only problem is in moderating this switch, because the hairy mice started developing tumours in their skin. So we're part of the way there, but no cigar as of yet.

michael barry

Reaction score
Japanese researchers put a chemical in grape seeds called Aligomeric Proanthocynanidins, on the backs of shaved mice. The mice with no solution applied grew back 40% of their coats. The mice that did have it applied, grew back 70-80% of their coats. Chemically these Proanthocyanidines, or OPC's, poteniate other vitamins, increasing their lifespan dramatically (over 400% in the case of vitamin C). OPC's are present in apples, grapes, bean hulls, chocolate, rose hips, and sorghum. They are theorized to work by stimulating the keratinocytes to producte more keratin at the cellular level.

The apple juice OPC B-2 grew hair at the Tsukuabu Research Labs at the Wanatabe Dermatological Clinic in Japan 300% faster than a placebo. In a 6 month study, 19 men got a 1% solution of proanthocyanidin B-2 solution extracted from apple juice and 10 got a placebo. The authors of the study gauged the results as the apple juice extract grew more hair than propecia and less than minoxodil in a six month period. They noted that the solution decreased scalp swelling and had no side effects. This is why they thought it worked.

Note: I got all this stuff from Stophairlossnow. com, It advertises itself as "Europes largerst hairlsos site".

In another note, have any of you heard of the C-AMP gene? Those folks at Alpecin claim that their caffienated shampoo works because it prevents the downregulation of this gene. They claim it "brings energy to the hair follicle". That sounds flimsy to me.........wondering if any RSG's in this forum have ever heard of it?

KipWinger

Established Member
Reaction score
i have used vichy aminexil and that didnt do nothing in my hair! that is a sh*t.

gonna_win

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yeah and I blame Loreal for bladness.

PREPARE, LYNCH MOB!

fuggles

Established Member
Reaction score
this is absolutely true and to solve this you need

urea, vitamin b5, salicylic acid etc

just google those ingredients and you will find creams selling it

fuggles

Established Member
Reaction score
This Will reduce collagen?

It's not about reducing collagen or increasing it

They are referring to dead collagen build up that should have naturally shed off - but it didn't.

It's about renewing the collagen and replacing the old collagen - the amount of collagen will be the same though

Like I said - urea, b5, etc are the most commonly used ingredients

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
It's not about reducing collagen or increasing it

They are referring to dead collagen build up that should have naturally shed off - but it didn't.

It's about renewing the collagen and replacing the old collagen - the amount of collagen will be the same though

Like I said - urea, b5, etc are the most commonly used ingredients
Wont tretionin help in this ? I Read it induces hair regrowth.

justinbieberscombover

My Regimen
Reaction score
this is absolutely true and to solve this you need

urea, vitamin b5, salicylic acid etc

just google those ingredients and you will find creams selling it
You probably have 5 strands left or never had male pattern baldness to begin with

With real male pattern baldness only transplants and anti DHT products can save you

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
I had side effects from Propecia after 3 weeks both times I tried.. but 3 transplants gave me a strong hairline. At 30+ I don't care about some thinning anymore.
Somehow My Body adapted to dht blockers but it Took many years until My Body said OK I give Up and found a balance. Couldnt use finasteride years ago had sides after a month even on naturall dht blockers high dosage but it was only dry eyes but on finasteride it was very very severe. Now years later I can handle 2.5mg dutasteride and finasteride without any eye issues. crazy.