Looong time lurker fist time poster. Stepping into Rogaine..

smitty1977

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I've been lurking on these forums every so often for a few years... and thought I'd finally introduce myself.
I'm 34yrs old and have been slowly losing the locks from about age 20. Right now I'd consider myself a 1.5 on the Norwood but it's going fast. I've been using Nizoral religiously for about 5yrs to combat the loss. (aside from a brief stint with Propecia a few yrs back which resulted in complete loss of libido and sore balls, scared me and I tossed it out)
Obviously Nizoral alone won't do much of anything, although by the looks of my brother and pics of my father at my age maybe it has done something who knows...Anyways I finally ordered myself a 3mnth supply of Rogaine Foam..which arrived yesterday.

Truth is I'm excited yet worried about any kind of massive shed from using it. I know if I do nothing I'll lose it anyway, but scared to death of losing any more hair at this point. I'll post a pic of my baseline shortly..

And thank you, these forums have been a huge help so far.

smitty1977

Reaction score
So here's my question guys:

If I use rogaine foam on my hairline and temples is there a chance I could lose hair and it not grow back? That's what I'm terrified of. I'm semi happy with my hairline as it is, though I know it's receding quite fast. I'd rather my hairline naturally recede over time rather than destroy it in a few months.
Thanks!

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Rogaine (minoxidil) stimulates the growth of hair, but I don't think it interferes in any fundamental way with the balding process itself. For that reason, I don't think it's a good idea to use Rogaine all by itself. Combine it with other things that _do_ interfere with the fundamental balding process.

andersonlynch

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
Rogaine (minoxidil) stimulates the growth of hair, but I don't think it interferes in any fundamental way with the balding process itself. For that reason, I don't think it's a good idea to use Rogaine all by itself. Combine it with other things that _do_ interfere with the fundamental balding process.

Like what? any suggestion?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Agreed. Finasteride would be an obvious possibility.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
andersonlynch said:
do I have any other option other than finasteride?

Any substance that fights the effects of androgens would be an option. Dutasteride would definitely work. So would spironolactone and Revivogen, although those continue to be controversial. Proxiphen would probably work the best of all the standard treatments, although it's expensive.