Looks like balding is related to smoking

BornBaldDieBald

Established Member
Reaction score
MacAttack said:
http://healthandfitness.sympatico.msn.ca/Balding+Butt+out/NewInHealth/SmokingCessation/Articles/els_baldingbuttout.htm?isfa=1

I often hear about this correlation, but as usual, there is ample evidence to the contrary. I know alot of people who are AGGRESSIVE SMOKERS, for more than 20 years, and have long luscious hair. Yes, alot of things can affect your hair, but if you are genetically determined to bald, quitting smoking, etc.... isn't going to stop it, it probably won't even help. My 83 yeard old grandfather is a chimney, and he hasnt lost a single hair. I believe however, that if you ARE ALREADY balding, then yes smoking MAY have a negative impact.

A study should be done on twins. One smokes, one doesn't, if one goes bald.... then it is something to take seriously.

dark_one

Established Member
Reaction score
You are correct about this - I have observed similarly.

Also, smoking affects almost everything negatively - hair loss if so predisposed, is no different

BH 90 NWtwo 10

Established Member
Reaction score
iv said it before, and il say it again.

Brad Pitt 2 packs a day

Sean Penn 4 packs a day

Michael Landon 5 packs a day

scottie311

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't think smoking caused my thinning but I definitely shed more when I used to smoke.

MacAttack

Established Member
Reaction score
BH 90 NWtwo 10 said:

Brad Pitt 2 packs a day

Sean Penn 4 packs a day

Dont pull random figures out of your *** that you read in your Cosmo Girl Magazine. You dont have proof of this and you dont live with them. Even tho there are people who smoke and dont lose anything its a rare exception.

powersam

Reaction score
BH 90 NWtwo 10 said:

Brad Pitt 2 packs a day

Sean Penn 4 packs a day

haha. this doctor studies 600 patients over 3 months and you think you've proved him wrong by looking at 3 celebrities for 3 seconds... i know quite a few old people who've smoked their whole lives and dont have lung cancer, does that mean smoking doesnt increase your chances of getting lung cancer?

flimflam

Experienced Member
Reaction score
powersam said:
i know quite a few old people who've smoked their whole lives and dont have lung cancer, does that mean smoking doesnt increase your chances of getting lung cancer?

No it means your genetic make-up determines how your body responds to certain stimuli - namely cigarettes and ... DHT.

I personally think that there may be something to it; maybe smoking doesn't help. But these people were probably already genetically susceptible to baldness anyway.

This is just the same as the no-shampoo "theory".

Solo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
powersam said:
BH 90 NWtwo 10 said:

Brad Pitt 2 packs a day

Sean Penn 4 packs a day

haha. this doctor studies 600 patients over 3 months and you think you've proved him wrong by looking at 3 celebrities for 3 seconds... i know quite a few old people who've smoked their whole lives and dont have lung cancer, does that mean smoking doesnt increase your chances of getting lung cancer?

I bet you I can find a correlative factor between these 600 hundred people, and between them, the ones whose baldness was aggravated during the study, with an index of repetitivity higher than "smoking".

For example: "wearing ties". And then make the conclussion: "wearing ties leds to hairloss". (¡Based on a study of 600 individuals!, who can contradict me, now, motherfuckers?.)

Of course no one with a sane mind would link those two facts together, as they seem non causal to regular logic. But, as well, you can't go all the way round and say "as "smoking causes hairloss" seems a logical thought, thereby the results should indicate smoking DOES cause hairloss".

And they not, unless there's a bio-chemical mechanism indicated, medical explanation, and studies that probe that these mechanism is indeed happening with the result of hair loss.

I laugh my *** off whenever I read these correlation studies, made so much for the sake of propaganda from a doctor, or even a product, or merely scaremonging with a good newsflash title: "Studies show that there is a link between the global warming and decreased size of penis between laponians".

By the way, my reasonment does not show the opposite "smoking doesn't cause hair loss", it just says it is not necessarily linked to hairloss, having the base of a 600 hundred individual study, which can as well indicate that "being dumb is linked to hair loss" or "having american cars is linked to hair loss" with higher correlation percentages than smoking.

MSFB

Established Member
Reaction score
yes all true, but why does anyone smoke anyway. it cant be helping anything.

Solo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
MSFB said:
yes all true, but why does anyone smoke anyway. it cant be helping anything.

True

powersam

Reaction score
Solo said:
powersam said:
BH 90 NWtwo 10 said:

Brad Pitt 2 packs a day

Sean Penn 4 packs a day

I bet you I can find a correlative factor between these 600 hundred people, and between them, the ones whose baldness was aggravated during the study, with an index of repetitivity higher than "smoking".

For example: "wearing ties". And then make the conclussion: "wearing ties leds to hairloss". (¡Based on a study of 600 individuals!, who can contradict me, now, motherfuckers?.)

Of course no one with a sane mind would link those two facts together, as they seem non causal to regular logic. But, as well, you can't go all the way round and say "as "smoking causes hairloss" seems a logical thought, thereby the results should indicate smoking DOES cause hairloss".

And they not, unless there's a bio-chemical mechanism indicated, medical explanation, and studies that probe that these mechanism is indeed happening with the result of hair loss.

I laugh my *** off whenever I read these correlation studies, made so much for the sake of propaganda from a doctor, or even a product, or merely scaremonging with a good newsflash title: "Studies show that there is a link between the global warming and decreased size of penis between laponians".

By the way, my reasonment does not show the opposite "smoking doesn't cause hair loss", it just says it is not necessarily linked to hairloss, having the base of a 600 hundred individual study, which can as well indicate that "being dumb is linked to hair loss" or "having american cars is linked to hair loss" with higher correlation percentages than smoking.

all good points, however the study is actually talking about smoking causing premature hair change, rather than causing hair change in itself. ie/speeding up the natural processes, such as when they refer to smoking causing premature ageing of the skin. its pretty much taken for granted by derms nowadays that smoking does cause premature ageing of the skin, and studies done in the area illustrate that quite emphatically http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/710447.stm

moreover this is not the only study that you can refer to. there have been a few done with mice where they had patchy dry skin and hair loss when exposed to cigarette smoke. and we all know the premature aging that smoking can cause due to the carbon monoxide etc. anything that decreases skin health will decrease hair health. so there is in fact a medical explanation for why this doctor may have found a correlation.

flimflam - i would never suggest that smoking is in itself a cause of baldness, just that it can make the existing condition worse.

my post was more a comment on how ridiculous the other poster's response was, in pulling 3 celebrities names out of a hat and thinking that proved the study completely wrong. i think you can both agree with me on that point.

porajj

Established Member
Reaction score
My father: smoking since he was 12. 2-3 packs a day now. He became a Norwood 2 at 20, and has since stayed there with no loss at all except for greying. He is 62 now.

powersam

Reaction score
Dermatology. 2003;206(3):189-91. Related Articles, Links

Association between smoking and hair loss: another opportunity for health education against smoking?

Trüeb RM.

Besides being the single most preventable cause of significant morbidity and an important cause of death in the general population, tobacco smoking has been associated with adverse effects on the skin. Smoke-induced premature skin ageing has attracted the attention of the medical community, while only recently an observational study has indicated a significant relationship between smoking and baldness. The mechanisms by which smoking causes hair loss are multifactorial and are probably related to effects of cigarette smoke on the microvasculature of the dermal hair papilla, smoke genotoxicants causing damage to DNA of the hair follicle, smoke-induced imbalance in the follicular protease/antiprotease systems controlling tissue remodeling during the hair growth cycle, pro-oxidant effects of smoking leading to the release of pro-inflammatory cytokines resulting in follicular micro-inflammation and fibrosis and finally increased hydroxylation of oestradiol as well as inhibition of the enzyme aromatase creating a relative hypo-oestrogenic state. In view of the psychological impact of androgenetic alopecia on affected men and women, increasing public awareness of the association between smoking and hair loss offers an opportunity for health education against smoking that may be more effective than the link between smoking and facial wrinkles or grey hair, since the latter can be effectively counteracted by current aesthetic dermatologic procedures, while treatment options for androgenetic alopecia are limited. Copyright 2003 S. Karger AG, Basel

flimflam

Experienced Member
Reaction score
porajj said:
My father: smoking since he was 12. 2-3 packs a day now. He became a Norwood 2 at 20, and has since stayed there with no loss at all except for greying. He is 62 now.

heh my grandad smoked all his life and died with a thick, white nw2.

powersam

Reaction score
flimflam said:
porajj said:

heh my grandad smoked all his life and died with a thick, white nw2.

though it's great to hear about your respective relatives and their hairlines, it really isnt relevant to the discussion as it is simply anecdotal evidence and therefore worse than useless. misleading at best.

BornBaldDieBald

Established Member
Reaction score
ALright then, everyone on this forum who is a balding smoker, quit smoking and then let me see your regrowth.

Not smoking isnt going to bring your hair back. Smoking isn't going to make you go bald.

Correlations don't mean a thing, unless you can prove that there is a defintive link.

To me, this just seems like another delusional form of fleeting hope. You are balding, not because you SMOKE, not because you DRINK, not because you have Telogen Effluvium, not because your hair has always been thin and suddenly it just begins to recede, not because your DIET IS LACKING IN IRON, not because your SHAMPOO is washing away the sebum in your scalp, not because you sleep with your hair buried in your PILLOW, not because you shaved it a month ago and now it WONT GROW BACK, not because YOU WORE A TIGHT CAP, not because you overdosed on ACCUTANE and now your hair WONT GROW BACK at all, not because you are STRESSED, not because you got into a fight and someone PULLED YOUR HAIR HARD, not because of YOUR HAIR GEL...etc

You are balding because its in your genetic code. The sooner you can admit that, the sooner you can actually start treating your GENETIC BALDNESS problems, and not your smoking, drinking, cap wearing, accutane swollowing, shampoo using, iron deficient problems.

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
BornBaldDieBald said:
ALright then, everyone on this forum who is a balding smoker, quit smoking and then let me see your regrowth.

Not smoking isnt going to bring your hair back. Smoking isn't going to make you go bald.

Correlations don't mean a thing, unless you can prove that there is a defintive link.

To me, this just seems like another delusional form of fleeting hope. You are balding, not because you SMOKE, not because you DRINK, not because you have Telogen Effluvium, not because your hair has always been thin and suddenly it just begins to recede, not because your DIET IS LACKING IN IRON, not because your SHAMPOO is washing away the sebum in your scalp, not because you sleep with your hair buried in your PILLOW, not because you shaved it a month ago and now it WONT GROW BACK, not because YOU WORE A TIGHT CAP, not because you overdosed on ACCUTANE and now your hair WONT GROW BACK at all, not because you are STRESSED, not because you got into a fight and someone PULLED YOUR HAIR HARD, not because of YOUR HAIR GEL...etc

You are balding because its in your genetic code. The sooner you can admit that, the sooner you can actually start treating your GENETIC BALDNESS problems, and not your smoking, drinking, cap wearing, accutane swollowing, shampoo using, iron deficient problems.

couldnt agree with you more.