lookism is real

HairPieceMan

Reaction score
so i stumbled across this artical about height in men, and it showed some pretty startiling results on things such as weight and how attractive people were and how it affects their pay.

I knew height affected pay (which was stupid anyway), but this artical showed things like how good you looked affected pay, and weight to, for both men and women.

I remember both dudemon saying how he was unable to get a job because he looked a bit off, and UCMan saying the world hates bald men.

well it looks like if you don't look attractive you WILL be penalised, in lower salary or probably not even getting the job in the first place!

scientifical studies have shown that

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/1038531.stm

How handsome or pretty you are deemed to be also affects your pay packet - men considered to be unattractive earn 15% less, equal to £3,000 on a salary of £20,000.

Tall men earn 5% more than average men and 10% more than short men.

Fat women earn 5% less

Researcher Mr Harper said his findings confounded popular belief. "We found looks were as important for men as for women."

however i think all this might be in the sales and marketing department, but im not entirely sure.

Ori83

Experienced Member
Reaction score
And lets assume this is 100% true, how does this statistic help YOU in life?
just more sh*t to be pissed over.. i bet i can find an article that shows people who smile more often earns more, now thats a statistic worth knowing ;)

barcafan

Reaction score
This statistic worries the losers who are concerned about earning $.30 / hour less than their better looking MacDonalds coworker.

Primo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Of course if you work in sales or marketing, looks are everything!

But do you honestly think that in the qualified professions e.g. Law, Banking, Medicine, Accountancy etc. it matters what you look like? Of course not, your knowledge and ability to do the job properly comes before everything...

Dario

Established Member
Reaction score
My God, you guys are hopeless.
Next thread: "Bald guys have 15.753% less chance to be chosen to fly to Mars"
:jackit:

Do you guys relize that every man on the planet will always be more attracted to your personality and confidence? Are you laughing now when I said that??? See, that's the reason you are here. Without the hair, depressed, no personality you really are hopeless.
In buisness social skills and confidence IS EVERYTHING. Yes, looks can help, but is never the most important factor.

HairPieceMan

Reaction score
Ori83 said:
And lets assume this is 100% true, how does this statistic help YOU in life?
just more sh*t to be pissed over.. i bet i can find an article that shows people who smile more often earns more, now thats a statistic worth knowing ;)

this sounds like advise my mum woulg give me on my diffuse NW5 balding self at 20, claiming such things as "positive attitude" etc.

yeah, im sure if the bad looking bald guy that smiles more than the typical looking guy he will be able to make up for his bad appearance which is showcased 24/7.

Dario said:
Do you guys relize that every man on the planet will always be more attracted to your personality and confidence? Are you laughing now when I said that??? See, that's the reason you are here. Without the hair, depressed, no personality you really are hopeless.
In buisness social skills and confidence IS EVERYTHING. Yes, looks can help, but is never the most important factor.

no, i can scientifically proof to you that if you are bald and you look bad bald that IT WILL affect your pay.

i never said it was the difference between yes or no, im saying it puts you down socially and thus your pay and/or respect is comprimised.

and height of course as well, but that is obvious that if your taller you will earn more, and shorter you will earn less.

but i had no idea that if you didn't look good in the face you would also earn less.

fact is that YOU ARE being judged on how you look, in terms of general social respect, and pay is just one aspect of social respect, in that they respect YOU less than your other coworker because you don't look pleasing enough to the eye.

but im sure if your smile more often to compensate it will make up for this problem!

Dario

Established Member
Reaction score
Aawwhh...cut the crap. I work as a developer(team leader) and have nice salary even dough I'm almost bald. My CEO is slick bald! Dear God Nancy, world doesn't care what is your d*ck size, how much hair you got as long as you are productive. No science here, but REAL LIFE EXPERIENCE.
But yeah...please continue to justify your depression...male pattern baldness is the cause of all your life failures.
:bravo:

Viens

Reaction score
All this comes from America. Probably down to Hollywood and US TV casting 'models' for high profile job roles (in which these actors and actresses would not stand a chance in REAL LIFE).

In the meantime, if you are very smart then you don't need an employer. Work for yourself and don't give them your talents, that only make their business stronger anyway. Let them hirer all of the models until they finally realise that they've let go all of the best people, due to those people being in direct competition and putting them out of business...

Viens

Reaction score
Also some of this could be due to these people feeling 'superior' to e.g. shorter, balder people. The confidence factor. Perhaps like how Adolf Hitler thought about German superiority, or the KKK and white power, etc. Don't let these people make you feel that this is true. Prove them wrong.

It's also due to model agencies only employing certain people for the way that they look, e.g. in Paris, the height (have to be over 6 ft 1) and weight. They are also to blame. This kind of stupidity should be banned. Since when is it OK to employ ONLY people over a certain height? It's wrong and a disgusting attitude.