Looking To See A Trichologist - Is It Worth It?

Paulie777

My Regimen
Reaction score
Male. About to turn 40. General thinning on top. Stubble thinning, too. Eyebrows and body hair aren't nearly as dense as they once were.

As a result, I'm thinking about seeing a trichologist. Has anyone else done this? Is it worthwhile?

I've seen a dermatologist, who prescribed oral minoxidil, which hasn't helped.

Selb

My Regimen
Reaction score
Depends on the trichologist. Some of them are shampoo fanatics and won’t prescribe actual medication. Some are also doctors and will prescribe finasteride. General body hair thinning may be a sign of a thyroid issue or maybe something related to your immune system. I would go an endo Doctor and get your labs checked and rule anything there out.

I’m surprised oral min hasn’t worked for you. What was your dosage?

Paulie777

My Regimen
Reaction score
1.25 mg per day. Very low dose, but I wanted to err on the side of caution. I asked my GP about a referral to an endocronologist, but apparently the endo said they didn't think there was any point seeing me, based on the basic tests my GP performed (Thyroid, testosterone etc).

Selb

My Regimen
Reaction score
1.25 mg per day. Very low dose, but I wanted to err on the side of caution. I asked my GP about a referral to an endocronologist, but apparently the endo said they didn't think there was any point seeing me, based on the basic tests my GP performed (Thyroid, testosterone etc).
I would titrate up your oral minoxidil dose. Men can handle 2.5mg to 10mg. Sometimes it takes a while to start working too.

Hmm, have you asked your GP about your general non scalp hair loss? It seems unlikely that thinning all around is natural. I guess it could be due to age but 40 isn’t old. See if you can at least get a referral to an auto immune doctor.

Otherwise, once you rule out any specific immune or hormonal issues, only thing that left that can explain scalp hair thinning is male pattern baldness.

jazz1

Reaction score
You suffer from male pattern baldness? Than ideally you need the BIG3, where you from and any pictures?

TanDoc

My Regimen
Reaction score
Male. About to turn 40. General thinning on top. Stubble thinning, too. Eyebrows and body hair aren't nearly as dense as they once were.

As a result, I'm thinking about seeing a trichologist. Has anyone else done this? Is it worthwhile?

I've seen a dermatologist, who prescribed oral minoxidil, which hasn't helped.
Are you noticing thinning in the "safe" zones (e.g. sides and back of your head), or other areas of patchy hair?