Looking for opinions on my hair

D.A.M.

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Lately I've been getting depressed about my hair, I'm 21 and I feel like it's receding a lot, but I'm also not sure if it's just a mature hairline and I'm getting too much obsessed with it.

I know I'm not thinning on top, but I just don't like hairlines that have receded a lot. In my opinion it's not a good look and I also don't want to lose any more confidence over my receded hair.

My dad is bald, but his four brothers all have good hairlines and thick hair (strange right?), and my mother's father also went bald, so I know my chances are pretty much screwed about going bald, but I just don't want it to happen at a young age.

I'm actually going to the doctor on Monday and will ask him if he can prescribe me on finasteride even though he might not think it's worth it yet. But I'm looking for some opinions on here. What do you think about my hair and if you had my same hair, what would you do? Just leave it as it is or try and get on some medication?

Thanks in advance.

7.jpg6.jpg5.jpg4.jpg3.jpg2.jpg1.jpg

Traangas

Reaction score
Its looks like you are balding. Go talk with your doctor and get some information about the meds. Start asap if you want to use the meds.

der29

Established Member
Reaction score
Norwood 2.5 ....would be fine if you were 31 yo but at your age thats a sure sign of male pattern baldness. you know what to do...start loading on the anti androgens immediately.

D.A.M.

Reaction score
Its looks like you are balding. Go talk with your doctor and get some information about the meds. Start asap if you want to use the meds.

I will do, thanks.

Yes, sorry. You are about a Norwood 2.

It's cool, no need to be sorry :p

Norwood 2.5 ....would be fine if you were 31 yo but at your age thats a sure sign of male pattern baldness. you know what to do...start loading on the anti androgens immediately.

Yeah I know :( Will do, got an appointment with the doctor this Monday.

Ryukil

Banned
Reaction score
You'll be fine if you get on something...get on finasteride. I'm 21 as well. Welcome to the party.

D.A.M.

Reaction score
You'll be fine if you get on something...get on finasteride. I'm 21 as well. Welcome to the party.

The side-effects worry me a little bit, but it's looking like it's something I am just going to have to do.

D.A.M.

Reaction score
Good news! I'm having my blood tested this week and then next week the doctor will see what the best meds for me are :)

brian

Reaction score
I am similar age to you and have a very similar hairline plus thinning on a crown. Now is the time to get on finasteride. I would definitely advise trying finasteride first on its own and adding minoxidil after.

I started to use both at the same time and had success but it is frustrating because I dont know which was responsible for the success. This means that its to much of a risk to stop taking both medications and I would rather just take finasteride than also apply minoxidil daily!

kram337

Reaction score

Where do you get finasteride, or is it prescription only? Also I read some stuff about something called "Formula 82M" which I think is just a stronger version of Minoxidil. But it also sounds kind of like BS since the only site you can find info about it is one random doctors practice.

maher

Banned
Reaction score

So you are saying if you are 31 with Norwood 2,5 then you don't have male pattern baldness??

haller

Reaction score
same situation, i'm 22 and have similar balding. read about all the well-known treatments and then it's your choice.

i started with minoxidil (lipogaine formula) before 4 months and i've good results, then i've noticed another area started to thinning, so i decided to start finasteride (1mg), after 9 days however, i felt very dizzy so i stopped and now i'm looking for smaller doses.

you may need to try finasteride if you dont experience side effects thats will be great, and if you want to regrow your hair faster add minoxidil to your regimen. it's good idea also if you start using hairloss shampoo like nizoral or regenepure. your task now is to fight dht as much as you can. so try to use topical dht blockers even with finasteride.

Am I Too Pate

Reaction score
D.A.M, for what it's worth I'll reinforce Brian's point regarding sticking to one thing and assessing results. As you're young a strong response (finasteride) is probably warranted, but take your time to add extra, if at all possible. There's a tendency to want to get results, FAST. Understandable. But if you can wait a little to see if you're a 'good responder' before 'layering' treatments.

swingline747

My Regimen
Reaction score
Be careful with finasteride.

Anyway yes you are starting. Who knows maybe it stops and never goes further...
Mine would shed, then stop, wait a few years and shed more.

That one pic with your hair flicked up looked pretty good though, maybe rock that style for now.

monicamontes

Reaction score
Hello! My boyfriend had the same problem as yours, what he did was he undergone Fue Hair Transplant have you heard this? As far as I know this is a surgery that moves individual hair follicles from a part of the body to bald or balding part of the HEAD. And it really works immediately now my boyfriend have this natural and young appearance. But still go ask your doctor about this.

hermandolol

Reaction score
Hello! My boyfriend had the same problem as yours, what he did was he undergone Fue Hair Transplant have you heard this? As far as I know this is a surgery that moves individual hair follicles from a part of the body to bald or balding part of the HEAD. And it really works immediately now my boyfriend have this natural and young appearance. But still go ask your doctor about this.

don't ****ing recommend FUE to a 21 year old. why did u make ur account to write this nonsense?

D.A.M.

Reaction score
I am similar age to you and have a very similar hairline plus thinning on a crown. Now is the time to get on finasteride. I would definitely advise trying finasteride first on its own and adding minoxidil after.

I started to use both at the same time and had success but it is frustrating because I dont know which was responsible for the success. This means that its to much of a risk to stop taking both medications and I would rather just take finasteride than also apply minoxidil daily!

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.

same situation, i'm 22 and have similar balding. read about all the well-known treatments and then it's your choice.

i started with minoxidil (lipogaine formula) before 4 months and i've good results, then i've noticed another area started to thinning, so i decided to start finasteride (1mg), after 9 days however, i felt very dizzy so i stopped and now i'm looking for smaller doses.

you may need to try finasteride if you dont experience side effects thats will be great, and if you want to regrow your hair faster add minoxidil to your regimen. it's good idea also if you start using hairloss shampoo like nizoral or regenepure. your task now is to fight dht as much as you can. so try to use topical dht blockers even with finasteride.

Thank you. I've been looking at shampoos, I have had dandruff all my life, so I'm trying to find a shampoo that helps with dandruff and helps with hair loss too.

Be careful with finasteride.

Anyway yes you are starting. Who knows maybe it stops and never goes further...
Mine would shed, then stop, wait a few years and shed more.

That one pic with your hair flicked up looked pretty good though, maybe rock that style for now.

I can't see it stopping due to my father and my mom's father both being bald, but anyways I am seeing my doctor again on Wednesday after I had my blood tested last week, so hopefully he gets me on some medication.

don't ****ing recommend FUE to a 21 year old. why did u make ur account to write this nonsense?

Don't worry I won't be, I don't even think I'm anywhere near a stage to be getting FUE done.

Good luck.. it's impt to also consider things like diet, exercie & biotin/vitamins

Thanks. I play football every week and eat fruit every day, so I'd like to think I'm healthy :)

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score

Yeah that's the situation i'm in too... I'm extremely grateful that they're working for me, but I would like to know if I could drop minoxidil without my hair turning to crap! Guess I'll never know. Oh well, not the biggest deal...

if you don't mind potentially slower recovery, giving finasteride alone a good go may be worthwhile

Greg187

Reaction score
Yeah that's the situation i'm in too... I'm extremely grateful that they're working for me, but I would like to know if I could drop minoxidil without my hair turning to crap! Guess I'll never know. Oh well, not the biggest deal...

if you don't mind potentially slower recovery, giving finasteride alone a good go may be worthwhile

If I would rather drop the finasteride than the minoxidil any day of the week if it worked!!!!