Looking for Hope w/ Propecia

Nizzer

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I'm usually up beat, but now I need a little bit of encouragement. All I'm on right now is Propecia. Its the only drug that doesnt give me a side effect.

On this note , I'm 3 1/2 months in, and am in the middle of a shed. I'm in need of some encouragement from the people who had an initial bad reaction followed by regrowth or maintaining the hair they had.

If this sounds like you PLEASE tell me your story... I need HOPE right now

Between School, girl problems and hair loss this 22 y/o needs a little faith.

Thanks All,

Britannia

Reaction score
Hi. Im almost 3 months into Propecia use and Im in the middle of a catastrophic shed. But Im OK with it because I know it is temporary and the hairs I lose will regrow thicker and more pigmented. Shedding is all part of how Propecia works. Just ride it through, once the 12 month mark hits you will start seeing improvements to your hair.
Sheds are pretty nasty to experience though even if your expecting them like I was. Still no pain no gain.

Nizzer

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hmm...

Anyone... is there anyone that this has actually worked for? I wonder if people stop coming here if they find there solution.

jeffsss

Reaction score
Re: Hmm...

Nizzer said:
Anyone... is there anyone that this has actually worked for? I wonder if people stop coming here if they find there solution.

well, if you no longer had to worry about hair.. would you go to a hair loss forum?

Def

Established Member
Reaction score
Well I guess you could say it’s “worked†for me.

Do a search on my posts and you’ll see my story. 3 years on and I don’t think I’ve lost ground and my hairloss is still undetectable to everyone.

I still visit this site every day – there’s the occasional informative post, usually something funny, sometimes new developments and generally although I’ve kept my hair, I still think about it all the time….

Def

Johnny24601

Experienced Member
Reaction score
re:

All hair that was lost from frontal sheds has grown back. The new hair are thin but the original hairs were thin as well.

ang_99

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been on it for exactly 1 year. It works...at stopping hair loss. Now regrowth is another story, probably works for some and not for others but if you do see regrowth I think it will be minimal for most of us. For myself I have seen minimal regrowth, my temples have sprouted some hairs but nothing too crazy, the top of my head, well I think its just slightly improved but I'm ok with that. The key is to start BEFORE you are NOTICEABLY balding. Good luck.

Axon

Reaction score
I've been on finasteride for about 3 and a half years now, and it has totally halted my hairloss, in addition to thickening some of the hair on my crown. No side effects, no sheds.

You may want to browse the success stories forum.

-cj-

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Re: Hmm...

Nizzer said:

This is totally true. Additionally, people out there that know nothing about the forum and have great results...we will never know about.

brevardo

Reaction score
Yes that's right Axom. I'm in the same situation as Axom and when I discovered this site about 3 years ago that is the first thing that I did. I saw all of the success stories & then decided that I must give the Big 3 a shot and now I'm really glad that I did. Three years ago I had hardly any confidence and now I'm back to normal. Three years ago I would have someone that I knew or didn't know constantly mention that my hair is looking thin. I don't think that I've heard anything like that in well over two years? I'm serious! Brevardo

Nizzer

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey Guys.. its been helpful...

Anyone.. experience a huge shed only to grow all of it back later? If so.. what was the growth/ shed history.. that is... until it finally stabilized?

Britannia

Reaction score
Re: Hey Guys.. its been helpful...

Nizzer said:
Anyone.. experience a huge shed only to grow all of it back later? If so.. what was the growth/ shed history.. that is... until it finally stabilized?

Its normal to experience sheds during the early stages of finasteride treatment. Ive had a few. Its just part of the way the drug is working, and the hair lost will regrow.

Nizzer

My Regimen
Reaction score
Body hair

hahaha.. ok got one more for you all...

Body Hair... I have had a brick load of body hair come in in the last 4 months.... Body hair comes from DHT.... Propecia is supoose to drop DHT..

Is this and indication that it isnt working?

Hawaii male

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: Body hair

Nizzer said:
hahaha.. ok got one more for you all...

Body Hair... I have had a brick load of body hair come in in the last 4 months.... Body hair comes from DHT.... Propecia is supoose to drop DHT..

Is this and indication that it isnt working?

Nair for men. solved. :lol:

Nizzer

My Regimen
Reaction score
4 days of scalp health

Hey Guys...

As you know I am just on Propecia. Being my only drug all my eggs are in its basket. Soo... im 3 1/2 months in and recently for 4 days.. my dermatitus went away my hairs were actually healthy, werent stiff, and scalp was the most normal(not dry) its been in 3 years. Oh also.. hair was hardly falling out for these days. I have been on Extra Strength H&S.. and the same conditioners. Nothing in my regime has changed.

Sadly.. my scalp has gone back to its old semi irritated statein the last 2 days. Does this 4 days success mean that its begining to work?

Johnny24601

Experienced Member
Reaction score
re:

A real bad frontal shed went down for me around month 3-4 of using finasteride/minoxidil. By about month 9-10 this area had new hairs that were thin but dark brown (like the rest of my hair). My crown has certainly thickened up but getting through the early sheds was tough and depressing. Now I seem to cycle between a hard shed for a month and then not much shedding at all for a month.
Who knows how my male pattern baldness would have progressed with no treatment and whether the shed and subsequent regrowth has made my hair worse or better. I feel as if I am at about the same point as where I was when I started but my follicles are more healthy (less DHT attacking) so this should buy me a few extra years.
I am originally from Italy and am naturally a hairy beast. Since taking finasteride, I have had a huge reduction in body hair. Makes me a bit nervous (gino) but my sex drive is still great and I have no tit pain. The only side effects I have experienced is the reduced body hair, my loads seem to have less volume and I have the occasional (maybe one or two days a month) drop in labido.
A drastic increase in body hair is not normal according to my research, however, it is accepted that DHT (or lack there of) can effect different people in different ways. The increase body hair is at least an indication that yu have to monitor the drug effects closer then most.
Any other questions?

Nizzer

My Regimen
Reaction score
3-4 month shed

Hey all..

Sighhhhhhh..... well I know people go through sheds in the first 3-4 months.. but my god... I have really noticably lost a great deal of hair within this period. Im a few days off 4 months and nothing has changed.

Even worse my hairline has begun to go back for the first time in 3 years. I really don't believe it has lowered my DHT level at ALL!! I have had new body hair coming in (DHT related). As well, no new hair, not even thinner hair are replacing the old thick hair that has fallen in this period.

Not to mention, with every other treatment I was ethier to sensitive or it caused further hairloss. Why would this be any different? Am i going to quit? No... I'm riding this prescription drug to baldom.

I know that the hair you loose now is supposed to grow back. But jeebus... that would be a great deal of regrowth. I just can't see it happening.

Some one help.. I can't help feeling that I'm some kind of 22 y/o anomally that has mild hairloss, and excess hairloss when treated.

Aplunk1

Reaction score
Re: 3-4 month shed

Nizzer said:
Hey all..
No... I'm riding this prescription drug to baldom.

That'ah boy.

Propecia will not make you lose any hair faster unless you're going through a shed, which is totally possible. Just ride it out, my friend, give it 12 months. It's almost guaranteed you'll be better than baseline.

Take it easy, man. There's more to life than your hair right now. Next time you're in Las Vegas, I'll buy a beer.