Looking for dutasteride users who had horrible propecia experience

Bob72

Reaction score
Hi guys-
I took Propecia a number of years ago and had terrible sexual sides from the drug. It actually took quite a bit of time to get back to normal after quitting.
Anyway, I'm now at that point where things have progressed quite a bit in the hairloss department, and I'm a bit desperate. I never ever thought that I'd even consider Avodart after my horrible experience with Propecia, but I'm quite down about my hair right now.
So, I'd like to ask people to chime in who may have had bad sides from Propecia but who are having a much better experience on Avodart. I'd be curious to know details as well (dose of Propecia you took and sides you had as well as Avodart dose you are taking now).
I'd also be interested if anyone here would advise against me trying Avodart, because they had a worse or equally bad experience as the one they had on Propecia.
Thanks in advance guys. I can really use some feedback on making this decision. Hoping for lots of respnses...

Reaction score
Hey Bob,

I took propecia for 5months and my sexual side effects got worse over time. After 3 months I still had a good sex drive and good erection, somewhere in the month of 4 or 5 both my drive and erection went to sh*t. So bad that I could not get a hardon.

I have only been off propecia for around 2 weeks and am still suffering from the sides.

Started Avodart last week and can not really give you any info on it yet.

My transplant clinic told me that alot of users who had sexual sides with propecia and switched to avodart have had the sides go away. I see no reason for them to lie and it gives me some hope...

Aplunk1

Reaction score
I was 19.5 when I got on Propecia.

I had side effects at about the 3-month mark...

I suffered impotence, loss of libido, depression, etc... etc...

My recession continued, but my bald spot in the crown closed up.

This went on for 10 months, and my hair kept getting worse and worse.

I eventually went for Avodart, considering that I would do anything to get my hair back...

Well, after 10.5 months of Propecia use, that episode in my life is hopefully over forever.

I started Avodart almost 6 months ago, and I haven't suffered any side effects... except maybe increased dreaming at night.

My libido and erections, etc, came back within 1-2 weeks of quitting Propecia.

Avodart seems to be much better at halting hairloss, and hasn't effected my sexual well-being, either.

I took 1mg of Propecia for 10.5 months.

I currently take .5mg of Avodart (1 capsule) daily, on an empty stomache, with Green Tea.

No side effects to report.

I'm very happy with my Avodart...

People can try to take my Avodart away from my cold, dead fingers.

I hope this helps.

nohairnodandruff

Established Member
Reaction score
i am noticing my sexual drive has went down since starting dutasteride a couple weeks ago. i can still get a hardon and perform, but why bother. I dont have the urge anymore:)

nervx

Established Member
Reaction score
Started avodart 2 weeks or so ago and so far no sides. I've had some acne issues but i think that's from dropping proscar as the drug gave me outbreaks now and then.

oni

Reaction score
People can try to take my Avodart away from my cold, dead fingers.

And so we will Aplunk1....and so we will. :shock:

Dave!!!! get the equipment ready, we are going Norwood hunting!

Reaction score
::bump::

i'm really considering jumping on this..

was curious if anyone besides apluk has negitive effects with finasteride but positive reaction with dutasteride

Fat-Elvis

Established Member
Reaction score
nervx said:
Started avodart 2 weeks or so ago and so far no sides. I've had some acne issues but i think that's from dropping proscar as the drug gave me outbreaks now and then.
I thought both finasteride and avodart usually decrease people's acne. ?

G

Fat-Elvis said:
nervx said:
I thought both finasteride and avodart usually decrease people's acne. ?

varies from person to person. mine went away after starting avodart but maybe i was just growing out of it?

cruiser

Established Member
Reaction score
NO!!!!!!!!!!!! i had the same bad effects on finasteride. stopped, and it took a few good months to get back to normal. i tried dutasteride because i read a few people had better luck with sides on it, i took it orally for a few weeks and did the topical thing for a month or so, stopped due to side again and they have not even STARTED to go away and it has been over 2 months. i can get a hard on if i really want but the thing is i have NO desire anymore! and im only 30! :( i m at the point where f*** hair, i just want my drive back. there are two types of people on finasteride or dutasteride, the ones with sides and the ones that WILL have sides eventually.

flimflam

Experienced Member
Reaction score
How about the ones that had sides briefly and then went away? Like me. (but on finasteride).

jc444

Established Member
Reaction score
cruiser said:
there are two types of people on finasteride or dutasteride, the ones with sides and the ones that WILL have sides eventually.

I used propecia for 7 years. No side effects at all. Have started dutasteride about a month ago. In this time I have had no sexual function related sides for the dutasteride, but I have noticed I have been sleeping very restlessly for the last month. Not sure if this can be due to the dutasteride, more likely my increased anxiety about my hairloss which led to me starting dutasteride in the first place. The only reason I mentioned this is because I read APlunk say somehwere that he had possibly increased dreaming since switching to dutasteride. I have too, i think.

I think there are many finasteride users who have never suffered sides and never will, and it has been around long enough now that Im am rather confident that there will be no sides from long term use either. Can't say the same about dutasteride though, as it simply hasn't been around long enough for us to know. But so far its looking good for dutasteride, I haven't heard of users hitting the 2 year mark on dutasteride and growing a third arm out of their *** yet though, so I guess no news is good news.

haunted-ballroom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
jc444 said:
cruiser said:
there are two types of people on finasteride or dutasteride, the ones with sides and the ones that WILL have sides eventually.

I used propecia for 7 years. No side effects at all. Have started dutasteride about a month ago. In this time I have had no sexual function related sides for the dutasteride, but I have noticed I have been sleeping very restlessly for the last month. Not sure if this can be due to the dutasteride, more likely my increased anxiety about my hairloss which led to me starting dutasteride in the first place. The only reason I mentioned this is because I read APlunk say somehwere that he had possibly increased dreaming since switching to dutasteride. I have too, i think.

I think there are many finasteride users who have never suffered sides and never will, and it has been around long enough now that Im am rather confident that there will be no sides from long term use either. Can't say the same about dutasteride though, as it simply hasn't been around long enough for us to know. But so far its looking good for dutasteride, I haven't heard of users hitting the 2 year mark on dutasteride and growing a third arm out of their *** yet though, so I guess no news is good news.

Ive been thinking about dutasteride lately, but dont know enough about it yet. Only 2 years? I could have sworn I heard it was being used longer to treat something other than hairloss..?
I still dont understand exactly how dutasteride works and cant understand why people get sides from finasteride and not dutasteride...
Ill need to do my research!