Looking For Advices And Suggestions

nmcbs

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Im 35 years old. I´ve been loosing hair (more thinning than shedding) more noticeable the last 3 years. Specially temples and front. There is some thinning at the front but not aggressive. The vertex is ok for now. I would say im II to III in norwood scale. Its not an aggressive hairloss but it will defenitly progress dont know at what rate. Both my parents sides had men with Androgenetic alopecia. Funny enough my brother with 42 years old as an almost pristine hairline (the same as always) and no signs of hairloss (at least for now).
I already went to two doctors, one very experienced and talented in FUE cappilary transplants (I believe he is getting well known around Europe a young guy very skillful) and other more of a classical dermatologist/thricologist.
Both talked about minoxidil and finasteride as the classical and logical approach. They mentioned supplements as a auxiliary, mainly zinc and others. Finasteride seems to be a kind of gold standard until today and unfortunatly it will continue to be from their speech.
One of the doctors suggested dutasteride mesotherapy as another option (they were integrating this approach based on some Spanish studies and doctors using it).
Never tried minoxidil, finasteride or other conventional treatments.

I start with one question maybe asked by many, for many reasons, but for me still is the starting point:

1- There are any worthy alternatives to Minoxidil and finasteride from your experience?

Thank you for your time

baba_yaga

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
No. And one does not need experience to know the correct answer.

nmcbs

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you. Anyone tried alternative protocols of finasteride, be it by doctor prescription or experimental?
What i mean is lets say for example 1mg twice a week, 0,5mg three times a week,... As far as i know the lowest mono dose available is 1mg right? and i think cutting it would not be viable because of substance distribution on the pill?

baba_yaga

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Doesnt matter. Look up finasteride half life and 5ar enzyme half life and calculate whatever dose you need.

nmcbs

My Regimen
Reaction score
the half life is short right (4h-6h)? But the 5ar inhibition effect seem to last up to 3-4 days is that correct?
One of the dermatologists i consulted last month told me they sometimes use a 2 days a week (Tuesday and Friday) protocol of 1mg instead of everyday for people afraid of using it and then evaluate the hypothesis of upping the dosage. Is this a viable way to prevent the cumulative effect of finasteride on the inhibition of 5ar and DHT as a consequence?
I mean is it possible to inhibit 5ar just enough to reduce DHT levels to an acceptable healthy levels? Or even doing 2 times a week will have a flat cumulative response that will give the same results on serum levels similar to taking 1mg?

Also does it makes sense to do any basic blood work just to evaluate our androgenic profile to predict if the medication would be beneficial or could cause a unfavourable hormonal imbalance (estrogen, testosterone, DHT,...)?

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
the half life is short right (4h-6h)? But the 5ar inhibition effect seem to last up to 3-4 days is that correct?
One of the dermatologists i consulted last month told me they sometimes use a 2 days a week (Tuesday and Friday) protocol of 1mg instead of everyday for people afraid of using it and then evaluate the hypothesis of upping the dosage. Is this a viable way to prevent the cumulative effect of finasteride on the inhibition of 5ar and DHT as a consequence?
I mean is it possible to inhibit 5ar just enough to reduce DHT levels to an acceptable healthy levels? Or even doing 2 times a week will have a flat cumulative response that will give the same results on serum levels similar to taking 1mg?

Also does it makes sense to do any basic blood work just to evaluate our androgenic profile to predict if the medication would be beneficial or could cause a unfavourable hormonal imbalance (estrogen, testosterone, DHT,...)?
My best advice to you is not to overthink it. Get bloodwork before you start. Then take 1mg of finsteride daily and see how you do. If hair is that important to you then you are going to have to make a deal with the devil to keep it. It's that simple. Once you decide to take the risks, you have to realize there might be consequences. It all depends on how important your hair really is to you. If you can do nothing, more power to you.

Oscar66

Established Member
Reaction score
Thank you. Anyone tried alternative protocols of finasteride, be it by doctor prescription or experimental?
What i mean is lets say for example 1mg twice a week, 0,5mg three times a week,... As far as i know the lowest mono dose available is 1mg right? and i think cutting it would not be viable because of substance distribution on the pill?
I'll reply with my thoughts and not just give you short answers.
There are good videos out on YouTube describing the amount of time finasteride will remain in your system.
Its a long time, like a month.
Many people take the whole 1 MG pill everyday and experience bad sides so they quit.
I've experienced bad sides as far as shrinkage and the feeling like there is no"room" for me to get fully erect.
SO, I reduced the amount.
1/2 pill a day AT MOST,and even skip a few days in the week, but keep a steady inflow.
You have to give the finasteride months and months to start working.
minoxidil is also good, and the "twice a day" is what you should do.
I have no sides from it, other than mild dark rings under the eyes, but that could be my imagination.
Take vitamins, BIOTIN, and other things, but the finasteride is absolutely the most important, but try low doses.

nmcbs

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you Oscar. Would half a pill of 1mg finasteride once a week be a waste of time?
I understand that hormonal flutuances should be avoided and maybe once a week would cause that?

nmcbs

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ok so after another dermatologist appointment he proposed instead of topical a 1mg oral minoxidil per day. Once more
Anyone here have experience with oral minoxidil? good, bad or neutral? more or less effective than topical? more or less sides that topical?
As i understand minoxidil as vasodilator proprieties. As anyone experienced flushing, redness, rashes or anything similar with oral minoxidil, specially on the face?
And you may ask what the hell does it matter? well in my case it matters because i have rosacea on the face and vasodilatation is one of those things that just the word scares. Hypertrichosis on the body? fainting sensations? fatigue?
I will add or intend to add other complementary treatments with minoxidil, like mesotherapy, topicals.

Oscar66

Established Member
Reaction score
Thank you Oscar. Would half a pill of 1mg finasteride once a week be a waste of time?
I understand that hormonal flutuances should be avoided and maybe once a week would cause that?
That might be too low

nmcbs

My Regimen
Reaction score
I bought a recommended topical product by the doctor with Wnt complex, IGF- Like peptides and serenoa repens. It is i believe from a local laboratory. I do a weekly microneedling on the scalp. Do you think i should avoid microneedling on the day i apply that product?