Looking for advice.

feuillea4

Reaction score
Hello everyone !

27 y/o French Canadian here, with some family background of baldness. I always had quite a big forehead, but it seems that my hairline is receding since a couple of years (no old picture unfortunately).
I wonder where I am on the Norwood scale, and if i should start Mino or even Finasteride (i really want to keep my hair).
Both my grand-fathers still had all their hair at 85 y/o, but there is severe alopecia in my father's mother family, and my father is between Norwood 4 and 5 at 60 y/o. He started to lose his hair around 35-40 y/o I think.

My vertex is ok for now, and there are my temples (I think they are receding/thinning).

http://imgur.com/Jfc3VAc
http://imgur.com/4A9wata

Thanks for your help !

tress_dreams

Reaction score
I would estimate you to be a NW1.5 tops. It may have been slow from age 16-27 but that doesn't mean it will continue - linearly - at that rate of loss. My loss quickened since late 20s till now (33).

I would suggest preventative maintenance using "the big three": finasteride, minoxidil, keto. Maybe start your finasteride at a lower dosage than 1mg and see if you can maintain. If you can't maintain then increase it to the full 1mg.

If you do preventative maintenance now you may never having a single person think you are balding (because you wont). The problem with this advice is that until you lose enough to have it impact your life you won't be as motivated. This means most people are not able to rationalize the daily pill with so little loss as you currently have. I had to get to NW3! Just like a retirement savings when you are 22, there's no immediacy to your problem. Be careful with your finasteride dosage and best of luck!

Woodyy

Reaction score
I'm probably around the same stage as you, I noticed it a few years back and maintained it for a few years with minoxidil and spironolactone cream (I think minoxidil did most the work), I think I've noticed it progressing slightly over the past month and so I've jumped on finasteride straight away. I'd suggest doing the same to be honest man.

feuillea4

Reaction score
Thank you all, do you think I should use minoxidil on my vertex even if it is fine right now, or just on my temples ?
If I start Fina, do you believe 0.5mg every other day or 0.25mg daily can be enough ?

TomGun

Reaction score
Doesn't look bad at all; you've still got the thickness. Just hop on finasteride at a low dose like .5 to maintain your hairline and save the minoxidil in case you start thinning