Looking For Advice On My Hair, After Being In Denial!

Bwsoldier

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi all one of those standard posts "am i going bald" ive been in denial that my hairs thinning but have now decided to do something about it, at the age of 33. I've just received an order of finasteride and wondering if i should start this now or minoxidil first? Also would taking 0.25mg a day be sufficient, as ive read some manage to avoid sides at this amount? See my attached pictures, some with wet hair and others dry. The wet pictures are under harsh bathroom lighting.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 20180919_234412.jpg
    20180919_234412.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 231
  • 20180919_234351.jpg
    20180919_234351.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 206
  • 20180919_220425.jpg
    20180919_220425.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 215
  • 20180919_220407.jpg
    20180919_220407.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 212
  • 20180919_220128.jpg
    20180919_220128.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 207
  • 20180919_212658.jpg
    20180919_212658.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 194

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
0.25mg inhibits roughly the same amount of DHT as 1mg, so i don't think you will see a decrease in side effects, i would say just take 1mg unless you want to save money or something. As for minoxidil, it's up to you, like finasteride it's a life time commitment, some people get great results with just finasteride and nizoral so you may be adding something to your regime that you don't need. Like i said it's up to you whether to start minoxidil right away or give finasteride roughly a year by itself before deciding to add minoxidil to the mix.

Bwsoldier

My Regimen
Reaction score
0.25mg inhibits roughly the same amount of DHT as 1mg, so i don't think you will see a decrease in side effects, i would say just take 1mg unless you want to save money or something. As for minoxidil, it's up to you, like finasteride it's a life time commitment, some people get great results with just finasteride and nizoral so you may be adding something to your regime that you don't need. Like i said it's up to you whether to start minoxidil right away or give finasteride roughly a year by itself before deciding to add minoxidil to the mix.

Thanks Derelict, appreciate the reply. I think will hop onto the finasteride now and see how it goes, then add minoxidil if i see little change over the year. Fingers crossed i get no sides! Do you know what norwood i would be classed as?

Bwsoldier

My Regimen
Reaction score
No that’s definitely balding lol

I agree! Probably left it later than i should but will update progress of the finasteride, will start with a smaller dose the first few weeks, then up it! Any other input would be greatly appreciated

Manochoice

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah, you definitely have male pattern baldness. If you are trustful of Finasteride, understand the risk of side effect and are willing to take the plunge, then do it. Statistically it should at least help you keep what you have, which is still good. Maybe chime in from time to time and update info on how it works for you.

Tommybommy1363

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I agree! Probably left it later than i should but will update progress of the finasteride, will start with a smaller dose the first few weeks, then up it! Any other input would be greatly appreciated

Good luck man. I would try 0.5mg instead of 0.25mg as it is slightly more effective at that dose.

I agree try out propecia for a year before rogaine. I wish I waited as rogaine is super annoying to put on but I’m kind of locked in for life now.

recedingornot87

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think you're fine. I don't see any bald spots. It's a mature hairline.

Please refrain from giving advice if you aren't at least somewhat knowledgeable in male pattern baldness. It's better to give no advice than it is to give your input on things you aren't familiar with.

Bwsoldier

My Regimen
Reaction score
Good luck man. I would try 0.5mg instead of 0.25mg as it is slightly more effective at that dose.

I agree try out propecia for a year before rogaine. I wish I waited as rogaine is super annoying to put on but I’m kind of locked in for life now.

Thanks for the reply. I will take 0.5mg daily, just plucking up the courage to take it now ha! I did have a small patch of hairloss (in a circle) on the base of my skull at one point which the doctor said was probably stress related. I still think this was related to taking amitriptyline for a year. It's is slowly growing back though so this has thrown me off a bit wondering if I have other issues. I brush my hair back so my crown is easily hidden.

Does anyone know if the beta blocker Atenolol can have any effects on the hair, as I am also currently taking this due to migraines. Thanks