Looking back at old pictures

big_head

Established Member
Reaction score
Don't do it. It's not worth it. I'm sure you've all been through this.

I decided to take a look back at some old pictures I took of my hairline 3 years ago, which is when I first noticed/faced the fact that I was receding badly.

In those 3 years, I have tried nizoral and minoxidil (not on finasteride yet, long story).

And yeah...compared to some guys here, my balding in these 3 years is nothing. Some thinning in the front and heavier recession on one temple (the other pretty much went completely years ago). So all in all, for 3 years, the balding has not been what most here would call rapid. But the difference is there.

I regret not doing everything in my power to start finasteride immediately. I wished I had started 5 years ago actually. I honestly never even thought I was balding until 3 years ago. And I wasted time going back and forth and being in denial about it.

My hair is a bit better than a NW3. By no means the end of the world. But if I had started finasteride 3 years ago, I had enough of a hairline to fill in to a Norwood 2.5 or better. Now that is hair I will never get back.

Sorry for the rant...don't look at old pictures guys. If you have any that show your hairline clearly when it was better, delete them.

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
We all wish we started years earlier... Except those rare people who start finasteride in the very early stages. I started at 26. Wish I started at 23

big_head

Established Member
Reaction score
Fred, I feel ya...I don't think a hair transplant will be monetarily possible anytime soon for me though, but on the other hand, I should feel lucky that I wasn't bald at 20 nor do I have very rapid hairloss. Still, that regret though. Makes it worse because it also makes you blame yourself harder on top of everything else.

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
At least Fred is a handsome guy, good head shape. If not for that Fred would be screwed.

DannyBoyy

Reaction score
I actually dislike looking at most of my "hair" pics maybe it was the hairstyle, specially my school pic at 16...hate it had no beard either (apart from patchy looking).

Resorter

Reaction score
Well actually when I had lots of hair I was still a teenager and those were some pretty bad years so when I look back all I see is improvement from now, apart from hair which really didn't even suit me in those pictures.

shookwun

Reaction score
Fred is fortunate enough to also have features that can go well with the shaved look which many men do not. having small pinned ears ...being one of the most important for pulling off the shaven look.

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
I had a terrible hairstyle (just long and unkempt) when I was a teenager. I had no idea what I was wasting. As soon as I got a decent haircut I started getting WAY more attention from ladies. Really makes you realise how important hair is to your appearance.

Reaction score
I had a terrible hairstyle (just long and unkempt) when I was a teenager. I had no idea what I was wasting. As soon as I got a decent haircut I started getting WAY more attention from ladies. Really makes you realise how important hair is to your appearance.

That could not be more true with me. I used to have a crappy hairstyle until my early 20s... always got suck in the friend zone with girls until I changed to something decent and up to date.

Looking back at pics form my early 20s is just fun.Love to make fun about that guy who does not know how to dress or have a normal hairstyle. Looking back at pics from a few years ago after I changed hurts. I really handsome at least once in my life and also got some more attention from girls.

big_head

Established Member
Reaction score

Same with me but by that time I was already balding. What a cruel twist of fate.

I had the thickest, densest hair as a teen. And I let it grow into a disgusting mess of a mop that repelled any female because I simply didn't care.

God, the things I could have done with a great haircut. For one thing I would have caught my balding much earlier.

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
Thinking about it now I used to complain to myself because my hair was almost too dense to run a pocket comb through it.
I know my barber/stylist would regularly hear it from me to thin it out as much as possible. Particularly the front.., I'ld like to laugh now about it all except the irony has become uncomfortably nauseating.

big_head

Established Member
Reaction score
Thinking about it now I used to complain to myself because my hair was almost too dense to run a pocket comb through it.
I know my barber/stylist would regularly hear it from me to thin it out as much as possible. Particularly the front.., I'ld like to laugh now about it all except the irony has become uncomfortably nauseating.

Yup! My barber used to complain how irritating it was because my hair was just so stubbornly thick. I miss those days.

I think I even remember cursing my thick hair years ago in the shower, "wishing" it would just all fall out. Can you believe that? "You'll never go bald!" they joked.

;__;

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
Same with me but by that time I was already balding. What a cruel twist of fate.

I had the thickest, densest hair as a teen. And I let it grow into a disgusting mess of a mop that repelled any female because I simply didn't care.

God, the things I could have done with a great haircut.

That last bit - right in the feels. I managed to get a few years with decent hair. Which just happened to be my most happy and successful years, especially with the other sex.

Yep. In fact my barber still asked me if I wanted it thinned when I saw him last week, I just looked at him like "really?".

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
Lol Bighead we may be as fickle as our counterparts.

Dench does your barber comment any on your hair loss? I know a lot of them won't go there, which is polite of them (I guess).

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
Fred today I'm going to go pick up some bottled carrots, seeing you have such a beautiful complexion. :)

Digidako

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Man, I know **** like this can be tough. I completely understand. But one thing we you all need to realize is that life moves in one direction. The longer you hold onto what was, the blinder you will be to what is. If you're past NW3-4, hair transplants are viable options.
Sometimes we are all so miserable and depressed about such a trivial first world problem, and it disables our ability to see the the silver linings in life.
Obviously having hair would be great. But you know what?
I bet there are people with a full head of hair that still experience the same amount of anxiety and nostalgia we do, albeit in a different regard.

10% of life happens on the outside, the other 90% is what you make it to be inside your mind.
Change your frame of mind, change you life.

Instead of spending all of your time and energy feeling sorry for yourself, trying to understand why this happened to; just accept it. You don't have to understand why, it doesn't make sense. You didn't ask for it, but these are the hands we've been dealt.
Instead of looking at the glass half empty, try looking at it half full.

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
Yes if we wish to live in reality there is not much else to do but accept our situation forlorn as it may be.

Those whom respond well to treatment obviously have more options than poor responders.
Contrary to what our anxious thoughts like to try to refute, all is not lost.

male pattern baldness and it's societal stigma twists us in ways most of us could never expect.
Science may never fix this problem in our lifetime and/or better treatments remain stuck in suspended animation above the hazy hopes of a new and improved horizon.

So what we choose to take from this sobering outlook once again is each and every individual male pattern baldness sufferer's conscientious prerogative.

Our minds may often be found elsewhere nevertheless we are bound in flesh to the physical world and with this said, hair loss sufferers will rise and fall and Androgenetic Alopecia will continue to march on.

jk1okay

Reaction score
Fred you look great man you look like a above average guy. I had long flowing hair at 18-20 when I first started finasteride but discontinued after a month (I wish I kept going). Now I've lost 40% or so from diffuse thinning and it makes me sad but all I can do now is be hopeful about a cure. Hopefully a cure will be out in ~2020.

Goldee Lox

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Man, I know **** like this can be tough. I completely understand. But one thing we you all need to realize is that life moves in one direction. The longer you hold onto what was, the blinder you will be to what is. If you're past NW3-4, hair transplants are viable options.
Sometimes we are all so miserable and depressed about such a trivial first world problem, and it disables our ability to see the the silver linings in life.
Obviously having hair would be great. But you know what?
I bet there are people with a full head of hair that still experience the same amount of anxiety and nostalgia we do, albeit in a different regard.

10% of life happens on the outside, the other 90% is what you make it to be inside your mind.
Change your frame of mind, change you life.

Instead of spending all of your time and energy feeling sorry for yourself, trying to understand why this happened to; just accept it. You don't have to understand why, it doesn't make sense. You didn't ask for it, but these are the hands we've been dealt.
Instead of looking at the glass half empty, try looking at it half full.

Yeeeee