Longtime minoxidil User. Starting With 150% Effect, Ending With No Effect?

4hair4him

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi, I am using minoxidil since 5 years and finasteride on 1mg/ED since 3 months and 3 weeks.

I am only using minoxidil at the top and it is at least moderate itching after applying it. I think this itch is due to the alcohol.

Starting minoxidil, the first two years the results where great. I had better hair with 22 years than with 17 years.
The year after the two years succes it was maintaining my hair, and since than I am loosing my front hair slowly but steady.

Since 2 months, my relative thick middle hair is starting to dissapear and since 5 weeks it is terrible thining. Density is getting lower and the hair shafts continue to miniaturize very fast. my hair is getting shorter and shorter, than it falls out and only a nearly unvisible little hair grows out but than disappears.

Can minoxidil develop after years a reverse effect? Is minoxidil now bad for me or is it nearly 100%
out of the question that minoxidil could develop such bad effect?

whatintheworld

Reaction score
I am in a similar situation. Minoxidil is losing effect on my hairline and crown, after initial success that was very good.

I think you should add dermarolling/dermapen, that is my next course of action. As for dutasteride or any stronger anti-antrogens, I personally am too scared to try them, but maybe consider it if you have the courage to do so.

frank1980

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi, I am using minoxidil since 5 years and finasteride on 1mg/ED since 3 months and 3 weeks.

I am only using minoxidil at the top and it is at least moderate itching after applying it. I think this itch is due to the alcohol.

Starting minoxidil, the first two years the results where great. I had better hair with 22 years than with 17 years.
The year after the two years succes it was maintaining my hair, and since than I am loosing my front hair slowly but steady.

Since 2 months, my relative thick middle hair is starting to dissapear and since 5 weeks it is terrible thining. Density is getting lower and the hair shafts continue to miniaturize very fast. my hair is getting shorter and shorter, than it falls out and only a nearly unvisible little hair grows out but than disappears.

Can minoxidil develop after years a reverse effect? Is minoxidil now bad for me or is it nearly 100%
out of the question that minoxidil could develop such bad effect?
Maybe. It's really tough to determine if it's losing its effectiveness or if it is just that it is still stimulating your hair but the years of dht and age has been beating up your hairs and the stimulation is not enough to fight this off. You mentioned you are on finasteride for 3 months. Maybe you're having a finasteride shed or the finasteride is doing something.

4hair4him

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am in a similar situation. Minoxidil is losing effect on my hairline and crown, after initial success that was very good.

I think you should add dermarolling/dermapen, that is my next course of action. As for dutasteride or any stronger anti-antrogens, I personally am too scared to try them, but maybe consider it if you have the courage to do so.

finasteride is strong enough and imo maybe already over the top. I would never take dustarid, cause it can likely mass up with you fat distribution and skin (face, body). finasteride already due to appr. 10-15% more estrogen, more testosterone and less dht can have an effect on you fat distribution (body very likely, also little face changes (not always positive ones)

I should wait with finasteride to march, april this year. But I am scared of possible and imaginate side effects, so I maybe could quit the next weeks and going for a hairpiece (Cause I am now sure, that I want hair).

4hair4him

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Maybe. It's really tough to determine if it's losing its effectiveness or if it is just that it is still stimulating your hair but the years of dht and age has been beating up your hairs and the stimulation is not enough to fight this off. You mentioned you are on finasteride for 3 months. Maybe you're having a finasteride shed or the finasteride is doing something.

Thanks. Yeah finasteride is definitly doing sth. I can not see any results till now, but I am quiet early and should wait till march at least. But it is not nice to see myself as bald as never before. I grow the hair behind my loosing front long, so i can combover it very good. But I hope that finasteride will show some results the next weeks.

But maybe I will quit finasteride anyway, cause I am scary of sides and already finasteride had worsened my gyno a bit. But what scares me beyond growing a b-cup or more(nearly a-cup before finasteride and now a cup is enough ^^) is getting brain fog (My intelligence is all i have. and I have a very high IQ) or fat loss in face (I sometimes look like 16, allthough I am 25. My father is 70, but looks like 50.) So the possibility of this sides is making me crazy. So maybe I will quit and just go for a hairpiece)

frank1980

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks. Yeah finasteride is definitly doing sth. I can not see any results till now, but I am quiet early and should wait till march at least. But it is not nice to see myself as bald as never before. I grow the hair behind my loosing front long, so i can combover it very good. But I hope that finasteride will show some results the next weeks.

But maybe I will quit finasteride anyway, cause I am scary of sides and already finasteride had worsened my gyno a bit. But what scares me beyond growing a b-cup or more(nearly a-cup before finasteride and now a cup is enough ^^) is getting brain fog (My intelligence is all i have. and I have a very high IQ) or fat loss in face (I sometimes look like 16, allthough I am 25. My father is 70, but looks like 50.) So the possibility of this sides is making me crazy. So maybe I will quit and just go for a hairpiece)
you have more gotten more gyno on finasteride?

4hair4him

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
When did you notice the gynecomastia worsening?

Like right after starting with it. I started with 0.25mg finasteride back in may 2018 for two months, than 0.5mg for 1 and 0.75mg for 1/2 month and since mid september 1mg.
But since 1mg, in the 3 1/2 months it worsende the most. Since december 2018 till now its on the same level.

Martius

My Regimen
Reaction score
Same here. Stopped working for me after 1 years or so. Gotten worse over time. Sad but true.